PDA

View Full Version : Studio for LF work

Richard M. Anderson
22-Feb-2004, 15:56
I'm a student at the University of Southern Mississippi in Hattiesburg, MS. I've taken up LF photography after spending years shooting for newspapers (since I was 15). My problem is, I want to start doing some studio photography but no one around here seems to rent studio space. I'm not interested in portraiture, but portrait photographers who own studios seem put off I'm not interested in their work and refuse to even discuss the idea of me renting some space to take pictures. I've tried to tell them I won't be doing anything to compete with them but they won't listen. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do? I really don't have a lot of money, being a full time college student, so renting a room by the month is out of the question. I'm just really disapointed to come up against this brick wall so quickly in my LF career. Thanks for any help you guys can give.

McLean Anderson

j.e.simmons
22-Feb-2004, 16:11
Edward Weston used the main room of his house with a simple screen and natural light coming through the window. He would vary the background by how he turned the screen to the light.

This may not work for you, but perhaps you can improvise something. Be flexible in your thinking and don't give up.

Christopher Nisperos
22-Feb-2004, 16:19
How about renting something cheaper than a room, like a garage or small industrial space? Should be pretty easy to secure, too (though a little cold!).

matthew blais
22-Feb-2004, 16:36
I'd look into storage type facilities, maybe a larger one that would offer room for lights. They are usually high enough and abundant out here in CA, and rent for $35-100.00 month, depending on size. I looked into it once, but now utilize my back bedroom or sometimes living room. Other option is art studio spaces that universities provide or offer their students.

If I were doing only studio work and lots of it, then I could justify the rental expense, otherwise, improvise. If you're interested in renting a fully equipped studio (lights et al), then obviously my suggestion won't help.

Best of luck

Jim Rice
22-Feb-2004, 16:44
Go Golden Eagles, as long as they aren't up against the Bulldogs ;)

If you have the lighting equipment, I would think a mini-storage facility would be the near-perfect solution. They tend to have high celilings, and are long and narrow (within the various sizes). Just a thought.

-j

John Cook
22-Feb-2004, 17:24
You do not provide sufficient information about your equipment (or lack of it), intended subject matter, background experience or present living space to give you a complete answer.

Generally speaking though, I’d suggest visiting a pro who is shooting what you plan to do, to see how he works. Photography of vehicles and rooms of furniture is one thing. But I think you may be surprised how little floor space and equipment is required for tabletops.

If you do food you will need a kitchen. But if you borrow or rent props and backgrounds there will be no need for space to store them.

Most tabletop shots of liquor, fountain pens, general food, jewelry, tools, etc, can easily be shot on a kitchen table and lit beautifully with a single 36" soft box and some artfully-placed reflectors in a 10' x 10' room.

I shot all my class assignments while a student at Art Center College of Design in an ancient one-room 10' x 10' studio apartment ($85 per month) on the corner of Hoover and Third. The bed was pushed into a corner with all furniture and carpets piled on top. Worked just fine. You don’t require a gymnasium for this kind of work.

One last thing, be cautious about partnering with someone on a space. Shared studios and darkrooms tend to be as revolting as public toilets. Over the years I have learned that photographic solitude has many benefits. I believe you will eventually come to the same conclusion after you have your share of unpleasant experiences.

Richard M. Anderson
22-Feb-2004, 18:24
Thanks for your suggestions thus far.

John, as far as equipment, I have a Toyoview monorail on a Berlebach tripod. I don't have any kind of lighting system or backdrops. I have in mind to shoot some still lifes and would like to shoot some scenes with a model. My background is 8 years of 35mm photography for newspapers, mostly sports and current events type stuff. My present living space is an apartment I share with 2 other friends. I'd prefer not to shoot in my house because I don't want to have any of my models feel uncomfortable shooting in a house as opposed to a professional looking studio. I'm not opposed to buying my own lighting and backgrounds but I still would need a place to shoot. I would love to find a place that was 85 dollars a month, but with this being a college town, even the dingiest dirt hole is several hundred dolllars. I'll look into finding a place, maybe something in the industrial section of town will open up. Thanks for all the help guys.

In the case of me buying lighting and backgrounds, does anyone have any suggestions for a beginners kit? I would be shooting some tabletop work and small scenes with a model or two and whatever props go with the scene. Thanks.

matthew blais
22-Feb-2004, 20:20
Lighting equipment is sort of "get what you pay for", meaning, if you start cheap you'll most likely end up wishing you would have bought better and bigger (IMHO). I love the monolight kits and highly recommend the Paul Buff/White Lightning or "Alien Bees" kits. You can assemble any kit you want and I believe there's a five year warranty. I feel you get more bang for your buck with them over the "name" brands, and can last you a lifetime. Good service and reputation. Certain things are better to buy new, and lighting systems I believe is one of them...unless you come across a set that was owned by a "little 'ol lady from Pasadena". My recommendation is at least 500wps per light.

Here's the links: http://www.white-lightning.com/index2.htm
http://alienbees.com/index2.htm

John Kasaian
22-Feb-2004, 21:11
Another alternative nobodys mentioned is an airplane hangar. Even in California you can still get a single engine size for about $120/mo if you're not in LA-la or the Frisco Bay area. Huge spaces, high ceilings, electricity included(I wish I hadn't given mine up!)----Cheers!

domenico Foschi
22-Feb-2004, 23:54
Richard , you could build a Photo tent out of rip stop nylon . You could make it as big as you want , ( permitting you have an outside space ) , the material ( white ) , would allow to have inside a beautiful diffused light and by means of black screens and velcro you could manage to control ratio lighting . You are in Lousisiana i assume and that makes me think that you wouldn't have too many months of prohibitive weather , since this tent would have to be in the open sunlight . I wish you the best in your future career. If you have any questions , feel free to e-mail me .

John Cook
23-Feb-2004, 04:31
Richard, let me reply by touching on just a few random pieces of advice:

God does an excellent job of lighting the outdoors with just one light. And so can you. I have had excellent results with Speedotron and White Lightning. About 1200ws. There are other good ones as well, but you may find that some foreign brands are rather expensive for what you get. Like a car, they will need service, so check out available repair facilities before you buy. A 30" to 40" softbox will complete the electronic outfit. You will also require lots of white and foil reflectors and mirrors in many sizes. They can be home-made. Lighting is ninety percent of photography. Once the subject is properly lit, any fool can take a gorgeous snapshot of it. If you want to make a living at this one day, concentrate on learning lighting.

I don’t mean to spoil your fun, but it’s important as soon as possible to get focused on one subject matter which interests you, for which you have talent and for which there is a commercial market with a reasonable level of competition. You cannot survive commercially trying to photograph anything anywhere anytime. Specialize in something you know. Very few New Yorkers can make good horse pictures.

Shooting a few scenes with a model is certainly legitimate. Especially for a young, red-blooded male. We all, at one time, have had adolescent dreams of working for Playboy or Victoria’s Secret.. But I have personally seen “pretty girl photography” turn into a very expensive, time-wasting, career-destroying, obsessive hobby for a very great number of young men. Try to find something at which you can actually make a living and fiercely guard against getting hormonally sidetracked.

Ed Eubanks
23-Feb-2004, 07:30
All of this is great advice to which I can add little. My only thoughts are regarding equipment.
I have used a lot of different brands over the years, and lately I've been using InterFit monolights. I bought a kit that came with two modest 250-w/s units, stands, umbrellas, cables for about $300. I have added to that another 250-w/s unit, a 500-w/s unit, and a 1000-w/s unit, for a great and complete kit that almost always meets my needs. These lights are very affordable and are quite well-made. They have easy controls which give a surprising amount of flexibility to their function, such as the "power wheel" which allows you to stop down the light anywhere from full to 1/4-stop on a potentiometer, so there is no fixed "increment" of decrease.
They are made in England, and imported by Patterson (I'm pretty sure), who I've come to trust over the years as marketing good stuff. And, by the way, I don't have any personal stake in their sale.
Just thought I would make a recommendation. Anyone else using InterFit gear?

Rory_3532
23-Feb-2004, 09:34
Have you thought of talking to artists instead of photographers? Perhaps the USM Faculty of Fine Arts will let you use some space. There may be students in the faculty who want to share the cost of a studio rental. There may also be local artists who want to share.

Richard M. Anderson
23-Feb-2004, 11:53
Thanks again for your superb input. I've got a lot of new options to consider. All of you have been a great help.

John, this is merely a hobby for me. I'm finishing up a network engineer degree. And the shoots with the models contain no nudity nor are sexual in any way. I'm also not paying any "model" to sit for me, they are simply friends who are kind enough to get dressed up and waste several hours of their time helping me learn to use the view camra. One such scene I'd planned on shooting was that of a blonde angel sitting on a cloud while a young man is reaching up towards her and a brunette is clawing at his legs. Sort of harkening back to film noir ideas about the dark haired woman being the cause of the man's downfall and the blonde being his redeemer.