PDA

View Full Version : Grinding your own matte iMac screen

Uri A
6-Aug-2012, 06:01
Mac users (myself included) love to bitch about the lack of a matte screen for the iMac. Many see this as the last reason to still buy the overpriced Mac Pro (once a fine machine, no doubt). With iMacs so much cheaper now, few of us can justify the cost - just for the privilege of having to buy a monitor as well :)

Googling "matte iMac screen" results in much moaning plus a couple of firms selling matte films to lay over a glossy screen - a dubious solution.

However searching eBay for "iMac screen" shows that genuine replacement glass for the iMac is readily and cheaply available. I underseand that the actual LCD under the glass is glossy, but I'll bet a matte glass cover will go a long way towards beating reflections. I've never ground my own ground glass, but started thinking... Any of you aluminum oxide freaks out there given it a go?

Daniel Stone
6-Aug-2012, 11:24
I'd go with the matte overlay stuff, less prone to weird reflections between the two glass surfaces.

Think Newton rings...

Just my $.02

Dan

Uri A
8-Aug-2012, 15:18
Thanks for your reply Daniel,

The matte film is just bad logic for so many reasons and I meant grinding the outside of the glass, so I don't think Newton rings would be an issue. I know I can get a little eccentric sometimes but didn't realise I was being sufficiently nuts for no-one to even consider the idea.

Oh well, back to the glossy screen I go..

pherold
9-Aug-2012, 10:32
Sounds like a fascinating project to me. Perhaps no one here is into serious astronomy and grinding their own mirror glass? (I'm not, though I've seen those that are.) That's where I would go to get more information. Apparently there are plenty of different abrasives to get exactly the matte surface you want.