PDA

View Full Version : New Ries tripod with custom wood (Sapele)

kameraobskura
4-Aug-2012, 14:23
This is the only Ries tripod made like this in the world and I just wanted to share some pictures of it with you guys.

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/73143500/tripod1/tripod1.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/73143500/tripod1/tripod2.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/73143500/tripod1/tripod3.JPG

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/73143500/tripod1/tripod4.JPG

JosephBurke
4-Aug-2012, 14:56
Wow! She's a beauty. I have the same model/head combo...less the wood color, of course. I guess I could always stain it for a similar look!

Cletus
4-Aug-2012, 15:05
One of the things that appeals to about cameras and photographic equipment itself is the "technical aesthetic" they mostly seems to share. Particularly newer cameras - no plastic, before the digital revolution. There is something instrument-like about the black metal, chrome trim, precision engraved scales and textured leather that makes them what they are. For that reason, I've always been a little averse to the older "antique" cameras and tripods, even though I have a newer wood field camera that I really enjoy. I know it's really about the pictures and not the tools, but still, the tools are a big part of it.

Now, after seeing these excellent photos of your Reis tripod and txc500's "new" Kodak 2D, I'm kinda rethinking all that. I've always appreciated the sheer quality and "built to last forever" designs of the older stuff. Also the fact that it wasn't completely, 100% utilitarian, there was at least a little bit of...what? Decoration? I can't think of the word....Looking at these great old cameras and this tripod (I know the tripod is'nt that old, but it looks it) is really making me think and wondering what it is I see in the "new", technical looking LF and general camera gear.

That is a REALLY nice setup you have, and so nice to look at too, all functionality aside. Thanks for sharing!

William Whitaker
4-Aug-2012, 15:25
What is the advantage of sapele? Was it strictly an aesthetic choice? Did you supply the wood to Ries and have them make the tripod to order?
The Ries tripods are wonderful.

kameraobskura
4-Aug-2012, 15:27
Wow! She's a beauty. I have the same model/head combo...less the wood color, of course. I guess I could always stain it for a similar look!

When I first contacted Ries about a tripod with darker wood they offered to stain one for me, however they wouldnīt recommend it because of the changes overtime with exposure to UV rays. I guess I contacted them at the right time since they were testing other wood options and offered to make this one to me as a special order. Itīs by far the best build / good looking tripod I've seen in a long time.

kameraobskura
4-Aug-2012, 15:36
One of the things that appeals to about cameras and photographic equipment itself is the "technical aesthetic" they mostly seems to share. Particularly newer cameras - no plastic, before the digital revolution. There is something instrument-like about the black metal, chrome trim, precision engraved scales and textured leather that makes them what they are. For that reason, I've always been a little averse to the older "antique" cameras and tripods, even though I have a newer wood field camera that I really enjoy. I know it's really about the pictures and not the tools, but still, the tools are a big part of it.

Now, after seeing these excellent photos of your Reis tripod and txc500's "new" Kodak 2D, I'm kinda rethinking all that. I've always appreciated the sheer quality and "built to last forever" designs of the older stuff. Also the fact that it wasn't completely, 100% utilitarian, there was at least a little bit of...what? Decoration? I can't think of the word....Looking at these great old cameras and this tripod (I know the tripod is'nt that old, but it looks it) is really making me think and wondering what it is I see in the "new", technical looking LF and general camera gear.

That is a REALLY nice setup you have, and so nice to look at too, all functionality aside. Thanks for sharing!

Wow. So I might turn you over to "the dark side" Cletus? Thanks for the nice comments, and for decoration, my fiancee actually want the tripod as a furniture piece in our living room. When not in use I'm thinking of mounting a stage light to it.

kameraobskura
4-Aug-2012, 15:43
What is the advantage of sapele? Was it strictly an aesthetic choice? Did you supply the wood to Ries and have them make the tripod to order?
The Ries tripods are wonderful.

Will, the quality of the sapele wood is comparable to the hardrock maple. I wanted something to match my mahogany camera and Ries offered to make me this one because they were testing wood options at the time I contacted them.

David A. Goldfarb
4-Aug-2012, 16:29
If a tripod can be sexy, that's the tripod.

Asher Kelman
4-Aug-2012, 17:43
This is the only Ries tripod made like this in the world and I just wanted to share some pictures of it with you guys.

How long ago did you get this? It's so beautiful. I'd love to have the legs like that to carry my camera!

Asher

kameraobskura
5-Aug-2012, 10:21

How long ago did you get this? It's so beautiful. I'd love to have the legs like that to carry my camera!

Asher

Asher, I picked it up at the post office 2 days ago, so it's quite new new :)

-Kristian

buggz
10-Aug-2012, 13:56
Nice.
What kind of head/plate is that?
Ries also?

Alan Gales
10-Aug-2012, 19:14
Simply beautiful. It looks so good with your 2D!

I love Ries tripods with double tilt heads.

Alan Gales
10-Aug-2012, 20:48
Nice.
What kind of head/plate is that?
Ries also?

The head is a Ries double tilt head.

kameraobskura
11-Aug-2012, 06:02
Simply beautiful. It looks so good with your 2D!

I love Ries tripods with double tilt heads.

Thanks:) It's not a Kodak 2D btw, it's the Gundlach Korona 5x7

Alan Gales
11-Aug-2012, 11:25
Thanks for the education. It is a beautiful Gundlach Korona 5x7!

Les Rudnick
12-Aug-2012, 10:55
Nothing beats a nice set of legs!!!

kameraobskura
18-Aug-2012, 02:08
Hereīs two more pictures of the tripod working in the field..

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/73143500/tripod1/photo1.jpg

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/73143500/tripod1/photo2.jpg

Professional
20-Aug-2012, 02:42
Congrats!

Beautiful legs and camera must be used in beautiful fields, enjoy! ;)

Herb Cunningham
1-Sep-2012, 14:38
I like the Ries leg setup where you don't have to lock down the thumb screws to have it it perfectly stable condition. Michael Smith showed me that he doesn't tighten the screws very much, and that allows you to level the tripod easily, so much so I use it with an Arca head for my DSLR once you have a Ries and know how to use it, that it.
. Now if they would only incorporate that mechanism into a light weigh for small cameras!

Daniel Stone
1-Sep-2012, 14:53
. Now if they would only incorporate that mechanism into a light weigh for small cameras!

Herb you know that Ries DOES make small tripods for 35mm/digi + MF/lightweight 4x5

http://riestripod.com/tripods.php

towards the bottom.

-Dan

dsim
1-Sep-2012, 15:07
Hereīs two more pictures of the tripod working in the field..

Sweet :)

C. D. Keth
1-Sep-2012, 17:55
What's the reason for the custom wood? Does it add something to the function of the tripod?

Vaughn
1-Sep-2012, 19:56
What's the reason for the custom wood? Does it add something to the function of the tripod?

See post #5...

Drew Wiley
4-Sep-2012, 13:36
Looks lovely, but hope the finish doesn't fail. With that kind of wood, a good teak oil would
be vastly preferable to a surface coating, which will inevitably peel - it certainly does on
their maple tripods (not that I care - my Ries takes a beating). Hope they make more of those beauties!

Ron Bose
3-Jan-2013, 13:06
The Sapele version looks gorgeous !

goamules
7-Jan-2013, 13:18
Will, the quality of the sapele wood is comparable to the hardrock maple. I wanted something to match my mahogany camera and Ries offered to make me this one because they were testing wood options at the time I contacted them.

Actually, Sapele is related to mahogany (It's in the same family). Mahogany or Sapele make very nice furniture and guitars, and their color is what you see; nice medium dark reddish brown. A little oxidizer and it gets even darker, and will never change colors. Maple is often shockingly white, and very heavy.

john biskupski
14-Jan-2013, 01:28
Ries's new website introduces four new tropical hardwood wood types, in addition to the traditional Maple - Araranga (like Berlebach's nut brown), Babinge, Jatoba, and the Sapelle shown above. They all look great, but at quite a price, take a look at the site, they've done a good job updating it.

Leszek Vogt
14-Jan-2013, 02:57
I don't recall handling sapelle lately, but always thought it was denser than maple. Bubinga is one of the densest woods....right up there with ebony and lignum vitea, that they make mallets out of. That will be one hefty tripod...sort of like the surveyor's type. I'll keep my fiber carbon. Agree, that is one cool looking tripod.

Les

kameraobskura
21-Jan-2013, 12:43
Thanks all! Im still very happy with my tripod and everyone who sees is always get baffled when I tell them itīs brand new. When I bought mine and didnīt know anything about Sapele Ries told me itīs african mahoganey.