PDA

View Full Version : Paterson Orbital Processor, need spacers

Geraldine Powell
29-Jul-2012, 03:01
Hi All,

I have started using a Paterson Orbital Processor this summer for daylight developing and I love it. I have bought a second one for a friend to use that did not come with the little red plastic spacers (that look like golf tees.) They are essential for keeping 4x5 negatives separate and I have not been able to find them or come up with a substitute.
Does anyone have a suggestion for something that worked for them? Would anyone have just one of them to spare that I could buy from them?

Thanks
Geraldine

Ed Bray
29-Jul-2012, 04:50
Didn't your first one come with 6 of the spacers? I'm sure mine did. I'll check, and if so I can let you have a couple, they'll be coming from the UK though so they might take a while.

Ed Bray
29-Jul-2012, 04:59
Yup, just checked and I have six, drop me a PM with your delivery address and I'll bung two in the post to you.

Pete Watkins
29-Jul-2012, 06:05
You could try short pieces of electrical wire, just make sure that they are a tight fit in the holes. I use a longish pieces that cross and connect two holes.
Hope that this makes sense.
Pete

Geraldine Powell
29-Jul-2012, 12:41
Ed and Pete,
Thank you for your replies. My first one came with just four spacers so I didn't have extras. That wire idea is intriguing but I like the spacers because I have got used to them. For the record, since people ask a lot about the Orbital Processor, I use 120 Ml of chemicals each time. I hand rotate it on the base. I glued tiddlywink disks onto the bottom and I have not had any problem with the fins and have not had to cut them off.
I talked with a woman in Ireland who has used the OP for years. She does it all in a darkroom and told me she pre-soaks and puts the emulsion side down and gets great results. That way she has not had to modify the bottom. I haven't tried that way because I have been using a changing bag and I think it would be very messy.
Thanks again
Geraldine

Ed Bray
29-Jul-2012, 13:59
I use my OP with Caffenol CL semi-stand. I use 400ml of liquid and do not use the orbital base, the tank stands in an 10"x12" tray of water on a dish heater to keep the temperature constant. I just gently rock the tank when time for the agitations.The base was lightly scored by the previous owner and I have had no problems when using emulsion side up.

Pete Watkins
29-Jul-2012, 14:17
Oh gawd,
I have to be different again. I use a motor base with 300 ml of liquid (developer D-76H 1-1). Film emulsion side up. I have cut the fins off the lids as I did have a few issues when I started using my Orbitals.
Best wishes,
Pete.

Frank_E
29-Jul-2012, 14:37
I found that sometimes the sheets of film would jump over the spacers causing several sheets to overlap and spoil. I suspect this happened when I tilted the unit up to pour out the chemicals. So I thought that taller spacers would be a better choice. I cut myself some using the thin bamboo sticks you get in the grocery store for making shish-ka-bobs. It is a trial and error process to get the correct lengths, because if too tall they interfere with the lid closing. Works fine for me and has eliminated the problem of the sheets moving around.

Tim Meisburger
29-Jul-2012, 15:45
I hear the right size pan head screws will work. I used whittled down golf tees, but that was not ideal, as the fall out sometimes.