PDA

View Full Version : photoshop cs4 glitch when dust busting

vinny
17-Jul-2012, 11:59
I had my question all typed up and then it disappeared. Anyway, what causes this glitch while using the healing brush (15px)?
cs4, mac mini quad core, 4gb ram, 462mb 8 bit file. I had dedicated 2gb ram to photoshop and upped it to the max allowed (3gb) to see if that helped but no luck. The video shows what's happening. The image also jumps around a bit and this is making my eyes sore. It occurs with almost every click of the mouse, but not all. My last machine was running photoshop CS with 1 gb ram and I would get the clock but no glitches on larger files like this. I know I need more ram but.....$$ is low right now.

about half-way through:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyc0vonYSx0&feature=youtu.be

Now, minutes later back at the same file, it's glitch free for a few minutes.

Kirk Gittings
17-Jul-2012, 12:07
32 or 64 bit?

vinny
17-Jul-2012, 14:23
8 bit file, my drum scanner only does 8 bit.

Preston
17-Jul-2012, 14:32
Looking at the U-tube video, it appears to be a screen redraw effect. This is directly related to your graphics subsystem which (according to your screen shot) is Intel on-board graphics. In order for on-board graphics to work properly, it must have enough system RAM over and above what's needed by the OS and PS. Upgrading your RAM will help with this.

Also, I noticed your scratch disk says "Server HD". Is this HD on a network? If so, you're also dealing with network latency in writing/reading data to that disk. Also, reduce the amount of RAM used by PS to about 75% (or a value within the suggested range). Your current setting is not buying you anything, performance-wise.

Another thing to look at is the 'Efficiency' of PhotoShop. At the bottom of PS window, open the submenu, and select 'Efficiency'. If the efficiency is less than 100%, you're hitting the scratch disk. Anything below 95% points to a real need for more RAM.

--P

Kirk Gittings
17-Jul-2012, 14:39
8 bit file, my drum scanner only does 8 bit.

No, which version of PS4 are you using? The 32 or 64 bit version. I it matters in terms of how it uses your system resources.

vinny
17-Jul-2012, 15:59
Not on a server, that's just the default name. I'll reset the ram to 75%. efficiency says 100%

Looking at the U-tube video, it appears to be a screen redraw effect. This is directly related to your graphics subsystem which (according to your screen shot) is Intel on-board graphics. In order for on-board graphics to work properly, it must have enough system RAM over and above what's needed by the OS and PS. Upgrading your RAM will help with this.

Also, I noticed your scratch disk says "Server HD". Is this HD on a network? If so, you're also dealing with network latency in writing/reading data to that disk. Also, reduce the amount of RAM used by PS to about 75% (or a value within the suggested range). Your current setting is not buying you anything, performance-wise.

not on a network, that's just the default title since I have a mac mini "server" model
I reset the ram to 75%
efficiency says 100%

Kirk, I believe 32 bit although I'm not sure since I can't find it written anywhere. I attached the mini menu readout.

Another thing to look at is the 'Efficiency' of PhotoShop. At the bottom of PS window, open the submenu, and select 'Efficiency'. If the efficiency is less than 100%, you're hitting the scratch disk. Anything below 95% points to a real need for more RAM.

--P

vinny
17-Jul-2012, 18:21
Hell! now it's doing it when I'm just trying to scroll around the magnified image.

Ben Syverson
18-Jul-2012, 06:30
I would turn off "Enable OpenGL Drawing." I'm not sure that Intel GPU is up to the task... It's not necessary anyway

vinny
18-Jul-2012, 08:04
I would turn off "Enable OpenGL Drawing." I'm not sure that Intel GPU is up to the task... It's not necessary anyway

thanks. that seemed to do the trick, so far.