PDA

View Full Version : Please Identify this color drum

SpeedGraphicMan
11-Jul-2012, 10:35
Hello All!

I have this Unicolor print drum, I need to know what size it is for?
Is it an 11x14 drum? or a multi 8x10?

I intend to use this for developing sheet film, so would like to know if I could put several sheets of 8x10 or 4x5?

Thanks in advance!

Light Guru
11-Jul-2012, 11:52
Unidrums have several v shaped things inside that hold ether the film or paper. Simply place a plain sheet of paper into one of the v shaped slots and then lay it against the inside of the drum until you reach the next v shape. Make a mark on the paper and pull it out and measure it. This will give you the length of one of the sides of the film. The length of the drum will give you the other length.

Quite simple to figure out. Just use a peace of paper as if it was your film.

SpeedGraphicMan
11-Jul-2012, 13:28
Thanks!

But I was kinda hoping someone could ID it for me and give a little info on hoe to use it?

Pat Kearns
11-Jul-2012, 18:56
There is an excellent article on how to use a Unicolor drum for film processing. Worth taking a look at it.

Light Guru
11-Jul-2012, 20:00
Thanks!

But I was kinda hoping someone could ID it for me and give a little info on hoe to use it?

But you could have identified the size yourself in the amount of time it took you to take the photos and post your question.

As for how to use it that you never asked. But a 2 sec search on google will bring this up as the number one result.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/

SpeedGraphicMan
12-Jul-2012, 15:05
But you could have identified the size yourself in the amount of time it took you to take the photos and post your question.

As for how to use it that you never asked. But a 2 sec search on google will bring this up as the number one result.
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/unicolor/

I've seen that...

Sigh... Let me try my question in a different way... Is there anybody who can recognize this drum by it size.

I think it is a bit odd, it is too long to be for 8x10, but too short for 11x14?

It is difficult to load an 11x14 piece of paper in it, unless I am doing it wrong... Can anyone tell me if what size/sizes this drum is intended for?

Martin Dake
13-Jul-2012, 17:25
I have the exact same drum, a couple of them.
It is an 11x14 drum and it can accommodate 1 11x14, 2 8x10 or 4 5x7 by using the different ribs.
Try some papers that size and you will figure it out.

SpeedGraphicMan
18-Jul-2012, 11:36
I have the exact same drum, a couple of them.
It is an 11x14 drum and it can accommodate 1 11x14, 2 8x10 or 4 5x7 by using the different ribs.
Try some papers that size and you will figure it out.

Thanks! That is what I needed to know!