PDA

View Full Version : Sticky Harrison Focusing Cloth?

Tony Lakin
29-Jun-2012, 07:51
Hi
I have had a Harrison focusing cloth for a good few years, the silver side has always been rather sticky, particularly noticeable after it has been folded up for a while it takes some little effort to peel apart, it has never had anything spilled on it, anyone else have experience of this or maybe suggest a remedy, I have tried washing with soapy water to no avail.

Thanks

Blair Ware
29-Jun-2012, 08:15
Tony, I have a Harrison tent that has the same issue. My understanding is there isn't much you can do about it, and that their newer products are not sticky.

Louis Pacilla
29-Jun-2012, 08:23
Hey Tony

There are several threads on the subject that may help you out . I just searched for "Harrison Changing Tent Sticky" They should have similar qualities as I believe the tents and focusing cloths are made of the same material and seem to have the trouble.

Here's a couple http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?30219-Sticky-Harrison-Changing-Tents&highlight=Harrison+changing+tent+sticky

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?21131-Sticky-Harrison-Changing-Tent&highlight=Harrison+changing+tent+sticky

vinny
29-Jun-2012, 08:25
Their tents do the same as blaire said. I'd trash it and get a yard of Ultrabounce instead. Modern studio equipment sells it.

Tony Lakin
29-Jun-2012, 08:43
Thanks guys
Had a good look at the threads too which you provided links, I do have other home made focusing cloths which serve their purpose pretty well, the Harrison is still useable its just horrible to the touch so I guess I will just have to write it off.
Thanks again for your advise.

Regards

Tony Lakin
29-Jun-2012, 14:24
Thanks for that, I'll give it a go:)

Tony Lakin
30-Jun-2012, 05:21
Yep, talc did it.

Thanks again.

civich
30-Jun-2012, 16:15
I would think talcum powder would be a problem with film - but since the problem was the outside of the tent maybe it won't intrude on the film loading. Let us know how it performs after a while. -Chris

Louis Pacilla
30-Jun-2012, 19:34
I would think talcum powder would be a problem with film - but since the problem was the outside of the tent maybe it won't intrude on the film loading. Let us know how it performs after a while. -Chris

Tony was having trouble with a Harrison focusing cloth. Not the Harrison changing tent. The baby powder in the changing tent would not be a very good idea. This is true.

civich
30-Jun-2012, 19:42
Tony was having trouble with a Harrison focusing cloth. Not the Harrison changing tent. The baby powder in the changing tent would not be a very good idea. This is true.

Ah. My mistake. -Chris

bartbartolomeo
24-Aug-2014, 03:31
Same thing happened to my Harrison classic focusing hood. The silver side was totally sticky. Why? I have no idea, one day I pulled it out of it's cover and it was stuck together. I sprayed WD40 on it (Silicone based spray) rubbed it in with a rag and it was no longer sticky and didn't even smell like WD40. Brilliant.