PDA

View Full Version : Flash powder lamp and front mounted shutters

Tim Meisburger
26-Jun-2012, 17:22
I was wandering though an antique store recently and came across some beat-up brass lenses (which I bought). When the owner knew my interest, he went upstairs and came down with a variety of other LF-related items. I don't know much about them, but happily bought them (for too much money) and am happy to show them off.

This is an unused or almost unused flash powder holder. You load the powder in the box, wind it up and pull the trigger and the steel wheel spins over a lighter flint making the spark to ignite the powder. Just like a Zippo (for you older gents) powered by clockwork. I wish I could get flash powder here to give it a try. Not sure how old it is, but I would guess the 1940s.

He also had these front mounted roller-blind shutters. The smaller one works well, while the larger on is a bit temperamental, and needs the blind replaced (I painted over some holes in the cloth so I could give it a try). I had never seen these before, but they are an elegant solution for all those shutterless lenses I have lying around. For smaller lenses I have been able to cut wooden tuits to adapt them to the larger hole.