PDA

View Full Version : Omega D enlarger cold light questions...

Stephen McMillon
5-Feb-2004, 14:02
I am currently using an old, but wonderful Omega DII enlarger for 4x5s, and am thinking of putting a cold light head on it. Am I correct in assuming I will no longer need to use the individual condenser can units for each film format? I want to print some 35s on it, but do not have the 35mm format condenser set that is required, so will the cold light circumvent the problem? I am thinking of an Omegalite, any thoughts? Thanks in advance!....

Matt Miller
5-Feb-2004, 14:05
You are correct. The cold light will work with all neg sizes.

John Kasaian
5-Feb-2004, 19:33
Stephen,

The omegalite looks pretty cool, sort of like an alien space ship docking on the ol' D-II, but i think you'd like the performance of a modern aristo better---used ones don't seem to be too expensive---probably less than a set of 35mm condensers.

---------Cheers!

Mark Sampson
6-Feb-2004, 06:24
Whatever cold light you buy- and the Aristo is far superior to the antique Omegalite- you'll need a compensating timer, such as the Metrolux. A cold-light's output varies with temperature and will drive you crazy if you don't control it somehow. I use a 1980's Zone VI coldlight (probably a rebadged Aristo) with the ZVI stabilizer- one of the first devices to control cold-light output. That's been discontinued, though, and replaced with some kind of compensating timer, not sure just what.

Stephen McMillon
6-Feb-2004, 07:18
good info... I'll try to track down an Aristo and timer. Thanks everyone!

lee\c
6-Feb-2004, 08:49
Stephen, When you are ready to remove the condensers and install the the Aristo take the spun aluminum that holds the condensers and gently turn it up side down and remove the glass condensers and the aluminun spacer. At that point put the diffuser disk in the bottom and then slide the whole cold light on top of the diffuser disk. Now you are ready to mount the cold light head onto the DII. I am assuming that you have already removed the old incandesent lamp housing. The power and control cords may need to be forced under a rod that may be in the way. One cord goes to the timer and one goes to power for the pre-heater. Now you are ready to print.

One caveat, make sure you buy the Aristo head with the current tube in it. It is the v54 head if memory serves. You can call Aristogrid or check the website www.aristogrid.com

leec

Dan Ingram
6-Feb-2004, 08:51
The other advantages of an Omegalite are the light source itself (a standard bathroom ring light) and the price (about $50). All you have to do is look at the quality of light coming from a newer Aristo to know it's better. Plus, Aristo makes cold light heads designed to work with VC paper. On the other hand, I've been making pretty nice prints with my Omegalite too. I'd say try 'em both -- you can always resell the Omegalite if you don't like it. I always thought Omegalites looked like waffle irons.

d.s.
6-Feb-2004, 17:17
Go to ebay "film prosessing and darkroom" Do searches for Aristo and zone VI. There are several on there. One already has a V-54 tube. I got mine there complete with stabilizer and a timer. If you buy one there, ask the seller to place some packing (popcorn ect.) around the light tube or tape the tube so it can't move in the head. Mine was well packed except the tube was able to jiggle around in the head and it got broken in shipment. The seller insured the package and I was able to replace the tube with a V-54 HI lamp. Make sure the unit is complete with a white plastic diffuser.

jnantz
7-Feb-2004, 12:34
stephen:

if you happen to find an older aristo with the w45 light source .. you can send the whole thing to aristo, and they will replace it with the v54 and make sure that the heater &c is working right. they charge something like $102 + shipping.

good luck!

- john

John R
9-Feb-2004, 18:54
Steven,

I have three 4x5 enlargers and one is a DII with a Omegalite and it makes nice prints but it is not a bright light source so times can become rather long when making some prints. Other than that the Omegalite has worked pretty well. An Aristo would certainly be the preferred choice but money also becomes an issue and besides the Omegalite does work.