PDA

View Full Version : advice needed RE: copal 1 shutter + aperture scale

tenderobject
23-Jun-2012, 01:35
hi guys,

a few months ago, i've been crawling up on ebay to get good deals for LF stuff. :D
since i have a symmar-s 180mm on a sinar DB lensboard i decided to look for a copal 1 shutter so i can use it without switching elements to my symmar 210mm copal 1 shutter. so i looked for one. i found a cheap one with an old lens on it.. first, i didn't care about the lens. got it for less than $50. shutter is an old type version. then after weeks i found out that i couldn't use the symmar-s lens on this shutter since the aperture scale starts at 6.3 :( i checked the lens and it's a 210mm commercial astragon 6.3. i found out that this lens can cover upto 8x10 with minimal movement but i can't seem to find any images taken with the lens. luck or not? :D

my questions:

1. is it possible to have my symmar-s 180mm on this copal 1 shutter without any problem?

2. would be changing aperture scale of the shutter solve the problem? where can i get one? maybe somewhere online these aperture scales for each shutters and lenses are available? if not whatelse should i do?

3. just leave the astragon on the shutter and find another shutter for my symmar s? a good solution?

thanks guys!

sumo
23-Jun-2012, 02:08
If you mke a new apertee scale you should e abe to use it.
A copal 1 is a standardised size so you can't reallt go wrong. Well as far as I know anyway.

Fotoguy20d
23-Jun-2012, 03:50
1. Yes

2. Yes. Try starting a thread titled something,like "symmar-s 180 aperture scale". Someone probably has one and can scan the front of the shutter for you. Or, You can calculate it out, measure, and mark your own.

3. I have a symmetrigon I got the same way. Cheap, wanted the shutter. The glass was so nice I left it alone. You could keep the scale for the astragon and add a second scale for the symmar.

Dan

Dan Fromm
23-Jun-2012, 06:09
The Astragon is a Commercial Ektar clone made by Yamasaki Optical, http://www.cosmonet.org/congo/index_e.html , rebadged for and sold by Sterling-Howard. There's no way that a 210 tessar can cover 8x10.

tenderobject
23-Jun-2012, 06:26
thank you guys!

@dan fromm, thanks for the clarification. i just read it here that it can cover 8x10 with very minimal movements. i'm fine with that but if the astragon is a commercial ektar clone is it good right?

Fotoguy20d
23-Jun-2012, 06:59
Try shooting with it. I have an Ilex Acutar 215mm which is also a CE clone - its not bad. Not sure how a CE actually differs from a B&L IIb Tessar other than coating? Maybe Dan Fromm can weigh in.

Dan

tenderobject
23-Jun-2012, 07:14
hi guys,

by the way this is the kind of copal shutter that i'm talking about

got it from the net..

the lens that i got from ebay

Dan Fromm
23-Jun-2012, 08:55
Try shooting with it. I have an Ilex Acutar 215mm which is also a CE clone - its not bad. Not sure how a CE actually differs from a B&L IIb Tessar other than coating? Maybe Dan Fromm can weigh in.

DanI have no idea how similar they are. What I do know is that given a choice between a used Ektar and a similar(same design type, focal length and maximum aperture) used lens from anyone else, the Ektar is the better bet. I have a very nice coated 158/6.3 B&L Tessar IIb, use my 160/5.6 Pro Raptar instead. There's a hint.

Tenderobject, if you go to Yamasaki's site you'll see that they claim the 210/6.3 Commercial Congo (that's your Astragon) covers 235 mm.

Maris Rusis
23-Jun-2012, 19:35
I have the 210mm f6.3 Commercial Congo lens and it does lay an unvignetted image on 8x10 film for infinity subjects. But there is absolutely nothing to spare and it would fail if the picture area was actually 8"x10" instead of the 19.6cm X 24.5cm that the film holder permits. At f22 and smaller the corners support detail so "illuminates" equals "covers", maybe.

tenderobject
24-Jun-2012, 01:28
thank you dan :) yeah i checked the site already. i'm fine with the lens wether it can cover 8x10 or not since i'm starting out again on LF with a 4x5. i had 5x7 but i'm selling it to fund all what i need for the 4x5. so i hope i could use the shutter that i have with the astragon to use it with my 180mm symmary-s since i bundled the 210mm symmar s with the 5x7 i'm selling.

anyone can help me get the 5.6 to 64 aperture scale for 180mm symmar-s on this copal S shutter? :)

I have no idea how similar they are. What I do know is that given a choice between a used Ektar and a similar(same design type, focal length and maximum aperture) used lens from anyone else, the Ektar is the better bet. I have a very nice coated 158/6.3 B&L Tessar IIb, use my 160/5.6 Pro Raptar instead. There's a hint.

Tenderobject, if you go to Yamasaki's site you'll see that they claim the 210/6.3 Commercial Congo (that's your Astragon) covers 235 mm.

tenderobject
25-Jun-2012, 16:51
bump for today..

by the way, would keeping my symmar-s 210mm better than the astragon commercial 210mm even if i have 180mm symmary-s? if i can't get the aperture scale for the 180mm symmar-s for the old copal s i'll just sell the astragon instead. what do you think?