PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Cheshire

salan
20-Jun-2012, 01:00
Hi All,
I have been reading the forums for a few weeks now and I have decided to have a go at LF. I shoot digital, film ~(135 and MF) but have always wanted to try LF. What has always put me off is the apparent cost of LF.
Every time I looked at cameras on Ebay etc, the prices they went for was more then I wanted to spend on something I did not know I would like.
Well I managed to find a camera in my price range.
I have just bought a Toyo view g complete with 150mm lens, 10x8 back and bellows, 10x8(2) and 5x4(4) film holders.Extension 'rail' (not sure what that is called) and a huge surdy box to keep it all in. So I have 5x4 and 10x8 capability. This lot cost me £200.
The difference between 5x4 and 10x8 is HUGE!!!
It's only when you see them together that you realize just how much bigger they are lol.
My tripod is pitifully inadequate, so that will have to be the next purchase (I thought that the tripod used for the MF setup would be OK for now but it seems definitely no lol)
I realise I have a lot to learn, so expect a LOT of questions. fortunately I have a friend who has a similar model camera and has experience of using LF.
So Where are good places for buying film?
My ultimate aim (assuming I get along with LF) is to try things like wet plate etc. but for now just the basics.
I am just recovering from a major operation, so at the moment I am not even allowed to lift the camera!
All I can do is look at iit longfully and wait lol.
Anyway enough from me, I am looking forward to contributing to the forums as well as gleeming a lot of information from them.
Alan

Bob Salomon
20-Jun-2012, 04:04
Cheshire, Connecticut?

salan
20-Jun-2012, 08:59
Cheshire, Connecticut?
UK
Just got a 4x5 pinhole (this one took a bit of groveling to the wife!! lol) as well. Really looking forward to using them.
Alan
Talking of which, how do I make the spell checker on the site go to UK not US?

Pete Watkins
20-Jun-2012, 14:40
salan,
Welcome to the forum!
Spell checker......are you joking? This forum is run by colonoists, what the heck do they need spell checkers for, they make it up as they go along.
I really like Foma film, they seem to have a lot of problems with their distribution but I've heard that Tetenal are going to get involved in their European distribution system and the future is brighter. Fomafoto in Norway are good but the postage is not cheap.
Shanghi (spelling???) film is available on he net, I've not tried it but check it out.
I've tried x-ray film but I had problems with contrast control, but I didn't really work at it.
Pinhole..............get a bit of cheap glass, I hold cheap meniscus lenses high above any results that I've sen over pinhole. They seem to think that pinhole is "artistic" , decide for yourself.
For filn look at Silverprint and AG photographics in The UK, there are others, look them up.
Best wishes,
Pete.

chrishayton
21-Jun-2012, 14:45
PM me about a tripod. I have an extremely sturdy Manfrotto one Id like to sell. Im in manchester city centre.

Welcome to the forum. Great deal on the camera!

Fourtoes
21-Jun-2012, 14:53
Hello and welcome.

Silverprint and Ag photographics for all things film/paper, but compare their prices as they can differ greatly.
If your interested in wet plate drop me a line, I'm based in the North West.

Tony

Lachlan 717
21-Jun-2012, 16:24
You're lucky to live in a great part of the world, Alan!

I'd love to take a big camera to Chester one day. Preferably in Summer on a Sunday morning when there's nobody around. So many good things to shoot within the walls and down along the river. My XPan wasn't nearly enough las time I was there...

salan
22-Jun-2012, 02:32
You're lucky to live in a great part of the world, Alan!

I'd love to take a big camera to Chester one day. Preferably in Summer on a Sunday morning when there's nobody around. So many good things to shoot within the walls and down along the river. My XPan wasn't nearly enough las time I was there...
Yes I know what you mean. Here in Cheshire we have some fantastic scenary. I have a fair few of Chester in small formats and I am looking for ward to doing some 'properly' lol in LF.
Alan ( lives just outside Northwich)

Lachlan 717
22-Jun-2012, 03:07
Yes I know what you mean. Here in Cheshire we have some fantastic scenary. I have a fair few of Chester in small formats and I am looking for ward to doing some 'properly' lol in LF.
Alan ( lives just outside Northwich)

I don't know whether I like the scenery or the local (antiquated) by-laws more. Where else is it legal to kill a Welshman, as long as it is within the city walls, it's after midnight, and you use a crossbow? I really miss Chester.