PDA

View Full Version : Old cameras and values

Wilson Revelle
3-Feb-2004, 21:52
My father recently passed away and being he was a professional photographer he had a big collection of cameras. The gem of his collection was a Century 8x10 camera from the 1900's with a few accessories. Now to my question. My mother would like to know how to find the value of this camera and the others that he had. I know about a few of them but this one is eluding me. Is there anyone out there who would mind helping me out with this. I am sorry if this is off topic for the forum I am just looking for help from some pros.

Thanks for your time.

-Wilson Revelle

David A. Goldfarb
3-Feb-2004, 22:23
Search for completed auctions at eBay, and you'll get the going rate. Look at pictures to be sure you have the same model and similar condition. Be aware that factors like portability and shipability will affect price, so if that 8x10" is a studio camera on a cast iron stand and it's located in North Dakota, it won't be worth as much as the same camera in Los Angeles or New York City, where there is an interested market of buyers who can pick it up in person. If it's a folding camera, it's more usable, and if it has a really good or interesting lens, the lens might be worth more than the camera. In general, an 8x10" Century isn't likely to be a high-value item.

John Kasaian
3-Feb-2004, 22:27
Wilson,

Sorry to hear of your loss. Mc Keown's Price Guide would be one place to start looking. Your Library should be able to find you a reference copy, if not try Amazon.

wfwhitaker
3-Feb-2004, 23:49
David's right - Ebay pretty much sets the price standard. And condition means a lot. But consider, too, any sentimental value it might hold for you. I've kicked myself more than a few times for letting some family items get away.

Best,
Will

Brian Ellis
4-Feb-2004, 05:21
If it's an 8x10 Century Universal wood field camera I'd guess that it's worth roughly $400-$700 by itself assuming good to excellent condition. These cameras have some appeal because they are light compared to many 8x10s but they also had a reputation for being kind of flimsy and weren't considered to be in the same class as say Deardorff in their time.

If it has a lens that's in good condition with an accurate working shutter that would add value, as would accessories such as lens boards, reducing backs, etc. As others have said, search the completed sales section of e bay to see what you find. That section only includes auctions for the previous 30 or 60 days or something like that so you might not find any cameras of your type that were listed during that period of time. You could also check out the web sites for places like Lens and Repro, Midwest Camera Exchange, KenMar Camera, Quality Camera, and KEH (Google will turn up the addresses). They sell a lot of large format equipment and might have one for sale that would give you an idea of value. In the few times I've looked at McKeons (sp?) I haven't found it very useful for this kind of old equipment where there are only a handful of sales and where so much depends on condition. However, it wouldn't hurt to look.

Jim Galli
4-Feb-2004, 07:51
Hi Wilson. Have to agree with Will above. When it's gone, it's gone. Many of the posters here would spend an afternoon showing you how to make a photograph with your 8X10. Very worthwhile. To answer your question though, Ebay "completed items" is the most helpful. Is this the giant portrait type Century that has to sit on a platform? I just bought one of those and could pass that info along. A photo would be helpful. What is the lens. Some have good value and others are nearly worthless. If you don't know how to post a photo here, email me and I'll help.

Dave Schneider
4-Feb-2004, 13:49
If it is in North Dakota I can pick it tomorrow.

David A. Goldfarb
4-Feb-2004, 16:19
Hah! And I bet you'll get a better deal on it than that Deardorff 11x14" Studio camera I bid on once, just across the river in New Jersey (I didn't win the bid).

Wilson Revelle
4-Feb-2004, 18:34
Thank you for so many replys! This has really been helpful. To answer the the previous question I live in New Orleans and that is currently where the camera is. (sorry)... The whole set is here it is the camera, 2 wood film holders, some sort of "L" folding device that is actually 5x7 size, a mounting base that is wood, an extention of some sort stamped with the # 143, 4.5 to 32 Bausch & Lomb Lens w/ felt lined lense cover, a second lens plate w/ screw mount. The date on the camera is Pat. July 15, 1902. Camera also has the 143 stamped on the bottom base this looks to be where the ext attaches. I also have the orig. case that it came in. It has a red velvet fabric on the inside and the outside, the most worn part of the set, still has one of the orig. leather straps. I'll tell you this, if I were looking at this camera in the store I would say it was almost new. The brass fittings still show a mirror image and it dosent look like anything has ever been taken off for a re-surfacing of the wood. It really is a beautiful camera. If you would like to see a picture I would be more than glad to post one so that you can see what you have helped me with.

Thanks again for all the help

-Wilson Revelle