PDA

View Full Version : Filter Questions

ihamilton91
18-Jun-2012, 13:20
So, I've finally got the main pieces of gear and the next thing on my mind is filters. I know the types I want, but I'm not sure which method/system would work best for me. I currently have a 300mm Fujinon that takes 77mm circular filters, but in the future I'm interested in getting a wider lens, maybe the Fujinon 240. So my question is would it be best to just have two sets of circular filters for the different lenses or go with something like Cokin or Lee system? I've never used much in the way of filters before so I'm kind of in the dark about what makes the most sense financially and practically :confused:

Light Guru
18-Jun-2012, 13:28
I would recommend going with ether a Cokin or Lee filter system. One set of filters that will go on all your lenses.

Ari
18-Jun-2012, 13:30
I use step-up rings, so all my lenses take 82mm filters.
Step-up rings can be purchased quite cheaply on eBay; after that, the filters are up to you.

vinny
18-Jun-2012, 14:06
I use step-up rings, so all my lenses take 82mm filters.
Step-up rings can be purchased quite cheaply on eBay; after that, the filters are up to you.

same here. 82mm. I have a 82mm pola and a couple glass filters but that's it.
I primarily use the lee system (b+w filters by hitech, grads by sing-ray) now as well. all my lenses (that aren't 82mm) have step up rings attached and Tamron lens caps, makes things faster in the field.

Doremus Scudder
19-Jun-2012, 04:38
I ended up with two sets of filters, 52mm and 67mm (I try to keep my lens size down, since I hike a lot). I use stepping rings to make those two sizes fit all my lenses (65mm Fujinon, 90mm f/8 SA, 110mm WF Ektar, 135mm WF Ektar, 135mm Nikkor W, 150mm Nikkor W, 180mm Fujinon A, 240mm Fujinon A, 300mm Nikkor M, 450mm Nikkor M). As you can see, I only need the 67mm filters for the extremes, so, if I want to go light and leave the extremes in the car, I can just pack the 52mm batch. I can still get from 100mm to 300mm with the 52mm set.

I believe that using good, coated optical glass filters helps maintain the quality and reduce flare a lot. That's why I chose conventional circular filters. I carry six in a filter wallet and a couple more distributed throughout my kit, usually red, orange, green, yellow, polarizer, blue (80B) are my standards. I have some gels and a gel holder too for special applications, but use them rarely; it's just too much trouble.

Best,

Doremus

Brian Ellis
19-Jun-2012, 05:48
I assume you're talking about filters for b&w film.

I used to carry a full complement of round threaded filters for b&w film - yellow, orange, red, green, blue, and polarizer, plus a couple graduated neutral density filters. I also tried the Lee system with the same type filters for a while but I didn't like it, for reasons irrelevant here, and went back to the round threaded filters. I've found that with Photoshop I can get the same effects (better actually, more control) than I did with all those filters except the polarizer and in some situations, the ND grad. I don't know if you use Photoshop or not. But if you do I'd suggest learning how to use its filter effects (if you don't already know) before you buy anything other than a polarizer and maybe a ND grad.

Drew Wiley
19-Jun-2012, 09:19
Well, I take completely the opposite stance as Brian. I never use a polarizer or neutral grad, and can't imagine fussing around with Fauxtoshop when it's so damn much easier
just to apply a colored contrast filter over the lens in the first place. You don't need a lot
of them. I ordinary only carry a red and green filter. But I strongly recommend top-quality multi-coated glass filters in the field. They have less flare, are easier to clean, less likely to fog up, and won't degrade the image path as much as plastic or cheap glass filters. And as someone already said, step rings are cheap enough. Color film is a slightly different question, but again, multicoated optical glass filters are recommended.

jose angel
19-Jun-2012, 14:06
I assume we are talking about classic "wet" photography.

I have "several" sets of filters, due to continuous planning changes and new unexpected acquisitions. I have Cokin, Nikon 52 and 62mm, B+W in 72, and 77mm filters for current digital pro zooms, amongst many others.

The only system that will save you of mistakes is Cokin or Lee, but they are the most delicate and of a lower quality to my taste. Anyway, there are some filters than are better on "square plastic" like grads, fog, and other effects.

By far I prefer glass filters; they are way more durable, easy to clean, better. Hoya, Heliopan, Nikon, B+W, etc. They have multicoated versions if needed. I use screw on hoods in the same filter thread size, or a compendium hood if weight is not an issue.

I think it`s highly unpractical to buy one full set (circular glass filters) to use with everything (from the 39mm Leicas to the 77mm pro lenses or even 82mm LF lenses). So if you only want them to use with LF cameras, simply buy the largest thread you have, or you plan to have. Step down rings are not an issue (to me) with large cameras on tripods.

If you want to share them with 77mm DSLR lenses, buy 77mm filters. If anytime you buy a larger lens, you can check for vignetting (it could be that the coverage is way larger), and to buy the filter you need.

If you want to cover smallish lenses (Leicas, Digicams, etc.) you need another set. It`s nonsensical to have a 72mm filter attached to a 50 Elmar.

Larger glass filters are extremely expensive, so if you are not a filtering freak, I`d probably buy Cokin P system, -max. 82mm thread-, (I prefer Lee, but they are way more expensive around here), and only a couple filters you think you need. I find square filters best for grads, so having a square filter mount is a good idea. Some filters like polarizers are unavoidably in circular mounts.

The most important, don`t spend loads of money buying a full set as I did in the past; you may find that you like to use only one or two of them. Right now I`d buy them in a one by one basis, and always after checking that I miss a certain effect. There will always be filters at the shop waiting for you if you find you need them in a future.

It could be a good idea to ask people for the filters they really use. In my case, rarely other than a light yellow, neutral grads (two densities) and from time to time, a polarizer. I almost exclusively shoot B&W in LF.

Brian Ellis
19-Jun-2012, 15:20
Well, I take completely the opposite stance as Brian. I never use a polarizer or neutral grad, and can't imagine fussing around with Fauxtoshop when it's so damn much easier
just to apply a colored contrast filter over the lens in the first place. You don't need a lot
of them. I ordinary only carry a red and green filter. But I strongly recommend top-quality multi-coated glass filters in the field. They have less flare, are easier to clean, less likely to fog up, and won't degrade the image path as much as plastic or cheap glass filters. And as someone already said, step rings are cheap enough. Color film is a slightly different question, but again, multicoated optical glass filters are recommended.

To each his own but I fuss around with Photoshop's filter and related tools because they give me much greater control over the final effect than an on-camera filter and printing in a darkroom. Yes, it's harder than just popping a filter on the lens but sometimes the easiest way isn't the best way. I don't mind the extra effort if it produces better results. Which for me Phtoshop's filter and related tools do.

Heroique
19-Jun-2012, 15:48
If you’re going to use GND filters, a Lee or Cokin system will better help you position it on your scene.

jb7
19-Jun-2012, 15:49
I never use Neutral Grads either, unless it's a centre filter, and when used with colour film, any other filter ( - polarizer) is entirely unnecessary if photoshop is used for filtration.

Other than that, I'm a member of the 82mm and step brigade. Not that I use them enough anyway; I'm not a landscaper, unless I find myself in one, by accident...

Heroique
19-Jun-2012, 15:49
BTW, I use circular filters in conjunction w/ my Lee system.

For example, a green circular filter on which I place Lee’s adaptor ring + Lee hood.

Or, an orange circular filter, on which I place Lee’s adaptor ring + filter holder + GND filter.

Or, a circular-shaped (linear) polarizer, on which I place Lee’s adaptor ring + Lee hood.

I think I’ll stop there. ;^)