PDA

View Full Version : Reflective scanning with drum scanner

rich caramadre
18-Jun-2012, 13:04
We recently aquired a Howtek 7500 drum scanner. I have figured out how to scan transparencies but can't do reflective. There is a setting for generic reflective but when I use it it comes out really dark almost black. I have noticed on that setting it dose scan with the 2nd bulb. Any guidence would be helpful.

Rich

Lenny Eiger
18-Jun-2012, 13:28
Do both bulbs work properly? One could be very dark... You could swap them temporarily... You might also try a different profile to start out with...

Lenny

Daniel Stone
18-Jun-2012, 22:53
make sure that the bulb hot spot is centered on the fiber optic line, when I got my scanner into Aztek, they had to re-align mine. If the bulb is old, or if you don't know the bulb "run time" of it, then you might want to just replace it with a new, fresh one. If it gives the same results, check the end of the lenses, on my scanner there are a number of small "lenslets" focused on a small point, make sure all of those/it are nice and clean.

what software are you using to drive the scanner btw? DPL?

-Dan

rich caramadre
20-Jun-2012, 10:12
It seems both bulbs are working. I'll check to see if it is centered. We have Aztek 7.2 on an old PC.

Lenny Eiger
20-Jun-2012, 10:38
Often a raw scan, or "detail" is not what you expect. Have you tried opening up the Histogram and correcting for it?

Lenny