PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations sought for a lightweight 8x10 camera

zenny
14-Jun-2012, 08:22
Hi:

Appreciate is if someone could recommend (based on their experience) the lightweight 8x10 camera and minimal landscape accessories which has to be taken to high mountains upto 5000 meters at chilly weather that is below -10C all the time.

However cost is also a limiting factor to consider, meaning cannot bear astronomical cost for the gadgets.

Please suggest 8x10 camera body, lens and the films that is appropriate for such environments.

Else, share the existing measurements to create one from scratch (but have no degree in design and architecture). I read that a lot of forum members are very skilled to create one from scratch, but I just lack the measurements to begin with.

Thanking you in anticipation.

//zenny

----

Support http://thehumanape.com

E. von Hoegh
14-Jun-2012, 08:23
Do you have any experience with 8x10?

Kodachrome25
14-Jun-2012, 08:43
You can pretty much take any camera into those conditions, you just have to use logical precautions in terms of static from the dry air, brittleness of the bellows, film when loading the holders. Also, lubricants tend to stiffen up so you have to be patient and proactive about movents, set up. Many images by Ansel Adams were in temps as low as what you describe, but not on top of the Matterhorn.

I know I will be using my 4x5 a lot at up to 4,400 meters here in the U.S. it weighs about 4 pounds with an average sized lens and film holder, one of the many reasons I opted for that format over 8x10...

John Kasaian
14-Jun-2012, 08:59
Nagaoka for a folder, Gowland for a monorail. If you don't need movements, Gowland Aerial (designed for the 300mmf/9 Nikon "M" lens)
These are very lightwieght cameras and can be used with lighter than usual 8x10 tripods however there is still the issue of "tripod wobble."The heaviest component of an 8x10 kit, aside from the tripod, will be the film holders.

Gem Singer
14-Jun-2012, 09:01
It's not only the weight of the camera.

8x10 film holders and lenses are large and bulky.

A lot of stuff to haul up a mountain.

Check out the all metal Canham JMC810. A light weight and compact 8x10 camera.

Brian Ellis
14-Jun-2012, 09:52
If you want meaningful responses I think you need to be more specific. What do you consider "light" for an 8x10 camera? What's your price range for the camera? And for the other things you'll need if you don't already have them (lens, tripod, holders, light meter, dark cloth, etc.)? When you ask about appropriate films, are you thinking of color, black and white, or both?

Vaughn
14-Jun-2012, 10:02
One option (not from experience) would be a point-and-shoot 8x10 camera. One lens (relatively short -- perhaps a Fuji 250/6.7 as a max focal length, but something along the lines of a Wollie 159mm for the shorter side), fixed focus, no bellows, with or without a GG. Handheld, no tripod. Such as the HoboCamera. Seems to be the lightest, most rugged option.

Depends a lot on the type of images you want to make.

Jim Noel
14-Jun-2012, 10:09
I agree with Vaughn that the Hobo or one of its clones would be best because of lack of bellows and low weight.
Next on my list would be the lightweight Wehman, or a Phillips. Both will meet the weight requirement, but will be more costly.
At that altitude you will be encountering wind which further recommends the non-bellows Hobo. A clone is easy to make since they are all wood, but you will need a focusing mount for the lens unless you compute the hyperfocal distance for the lens and build the camera to match.

David A. Goldfarb
14-Jun-2012, 10:26
I have a pretty light 8x10" kit--Gowland monorail, Mido filmholders, BlackJacket darkcloth, ordinary knapsack of the sort used for laptop computers. If I stick to wide/normal lenses, I can bring one rail and an ultralight tripod. 3x3" gel filters and a clip-on holder are very light. If you wanted a light modern lens, something like a 300mm Fujinon-C or Nikkor-M or G-Claron is in the ballpark. If you like more focal lengths you might consider a convertible lens. I have various lenses, mostly older.

Peter York
14-Jun-2012, 10:37
A camera with a good price/weight ratio that you may want to consider is the Centruy Universal 8x10. It weighs about 9 lbs. I have not used it in the cold weather you describe. Newer designs will weigh less, and probably be more sturdy, at a higher price.

I'd recommend that you consider the system weight of an 8x10, not just the camera. For me, it was too heavy for extensive hiking/backpacking, yet others here seem to handle the weight just fine.

E. von Hoegh
14-Jun-2012, 11:10
Do you have any experience with 8x10?

What sort of photos do you expect to make? Color? Black and white? Lenses; normal, long, wideangle, or closeup? In addition to the camera, you will need filmholders, film, a changing bag perhaps, a UV filter possibly, shades for each lens, a lightmeter, a tripod, dark cloth, cable releases etc. etc.. All at 5000m/16500ft. Are you going to climb, drive, or helicopter to this altitude?

You haven't given us much to go on, besides the format size and altitude.

Bill Koechling
14-Jun-2012, 13:31
The engineering and materials in the Arca Swiss F line 8x10 makes a relatively light candidate for your use. "Light" doesn't mean lacking sturdiness too.

Drew Wiley
14-Jun-2012, 15:08
The last place you want to be learning view camera technique with an 8x10 is up in the
mtns. There are a lot of logistical issues which need practice until they become intuitive.
Do you actually need a camera this big? And lightweight gear can become a liability if not
very carefully selected because things like wind and dimensional stabilty become serious
factors. A lightweight tripod might be worthless in the snow. I have done plenty of this
kind of photography. You have to learn it incrementally.

Alan Gales
14-Jun-2012, 16:05
My Wehman 8x10 weighs 8.7 lbs. There was a lighter version made that weighed 7.2 lbs. It folds up into a "bullet proof" clamshell. It kind of reminds me of my Jeep Wrangler Rubicon, not the prettiest thing but it sure is tough. You can look at the Wehman website for details and pictures. Unfortunately, due to health issues, Bruce Wehman is no longer making the camera. I bought mine used for $1,500.00 with a few extras.

I have a bad back so no mountain trekking for me but if I was able to do it I wouldn't take the Wehman. I would take my Tachihara 4x5 instead. Everything is heavier with an 8x10, camera, tripod, lenses, and film holders!

Rod Klukas
14-Jun-2012, 19:22
Arca-Swiss also makes a 9 lbs 8x10 as Does Canham.
Up high you also get wind. Take a golfers umbrella to create a wind break for when you are high. Light and broad.
You might consult with Jody Forster who spent 9 months in the Himalayas with an 8x10 and 2 sherpas.
He will have many answers about the logistics. His images are incredible as well. 20x24" and larger.
Rod

premortho
15-Jun-2012, 16:45
For whatever it's worth, and I mostly shoot in the Adirondaks which are not very high, I use a Rochester Universal View because it's very light, and so easy to carry. It has a Turner Reich Triple convertable and a Packard shutter. It is too light to shoot in the wind, so I use it on still or close to still days. I only carry two filmholders, as four exposures are a days work for me. I generally use x-ray film because it is ortochromatic and much less than a dollar a sheet. I develope these, usually the same night, in three 11X14 trays under a red safty light. I think I have less than $350.00 in the whole outfit.

John Kasaian
16-Jun-2012, 06:43
The last place you want to be learning view camera technique with an 8x10 is up in the
mtns. There are a lot of logistical issues which need practice until they become intuitive.
Do you actually need a camera this big? And lightweight gear can become a liability if not
very carefully selected because things like wind and dimensional stabilty become serious
factors. A lightweight tripod might be worthless in the snow. I have done plenty of this
kind of photography. You have to learn it incrementally.

Drew nails it.

I've had some limited success with my Gowland Aerial, hand held and well baced, hunkered down in the snow and using fast film, but in order to do that I gave up movements and a lot of flexibility. Also the Gowland Aerial, while very light, is more bulky to carry.
I envy Vittorio Sella, who had his porters Secondino Bianchetti and Giuseppe Gamba to carry his sizeable kit!