PDA

View Full Version : Ball head for light weight 4x5?

rustyair
10-Jun-2012, 14:56
Hi,

I was looking at 3 way heads and thought of getting a manfrotto 410 but I think it's over kill for my Shen Hao and schneider 210mm which weights 6.49 pounds in total.

Currently I'm using a HorusBennu LX-5 ball head which has 26.45lb max load and it works find with dslr but it has creeping problem with shen hao( problem of it moving once locked) . I'm a trekker and looking for a 'light weight' ball head under $200 that don't have any creeping problem. Please recommend me one. Manfrotto 468MGRC2 looks interesting...Thanks

Jeff Keller
11-Jun-2012, 00:31
For a light weight ball head take a look at acratech.net (450g). The specified load limit is "at least 25 lbs" so the load spec isn't much different from your LX-5. I can't help but wonder if your creep isn't due to something other than the ball head. A LF camera balanced on top of the head doesn't exert much torque unless it is way off balance. I had problems with the rubber pad on Manfroto quick release plates. Metal to metal contact of Arca Swiss style quick releases was a big improvement.

The Arca Swiss Z1 only weighs 590g with a lever quick release and has one of the highest load ratings. Your LX-5 appears to be spec'd at 610g.

Jeff Keller

Ian David
11-Jun-2012, 02:14
I use an Acratech Ultimate Ballhead, which I really like. It is good for a 4x5 field camera in my experience. Very light and rigid, and has nice QR plates for my 35mm, MF and LF cameras. Not sure how often they come up, but I found mine on eB*y a few years ago.
Ian

mandoman7
11-Jun-2012, 07:42
I had an acratech ball head for use with a Chamonix and feisol tripod, which made for a very light setup. I also had the Bogen 410 head, though, and even though it was heavier I ended up settling on that head as my standard for 4x5. One thing that changed my mind was the cold morning when the camera flopped over and my finger got jammed in the ball head. This can happen with any kind of head, but the 410 has a rigid default position that is reassuring. I also found it more suitable for small adjustments when you're fine tuning your composition. So, for me, I found the heavier Bogen 410 preferable to the Acratech for workflow reasons.

Kevin Crisp
11-Jun-2012, 08:37
Another Acratech fan. I even used it with my now sold 8X10 Canham and it held securely.

Trius
11-Jun-2012, 18:24
I use an Acratech GP, on a Velbon E630, but the load is a Chamonix 45N-2 with Fujinon 150 or 90, which is lighter than your kit. However, the Acratech is so solid and tight I have no doubt it would be fine from the perspective of supporting the weight.

sumo
11-Jun-2012, 19:01
For my lightweight setup, I use a Linhof Profi II + RRS platform with a Manfrotto 190PRO. This is a seriously light setup and its fine for my Ebony 45S, even at max. extension. I had doubts in the beginning because you're "supposed" to use a huge tripod etc and so I bought a Berlebach beast and Arca B1 but since I had the smaller setup, I decided to try it out and to my surprise it worked flawlessly. Now I basically never use the Berlebach combo. The legs can be weighted down with something to improve stability but I've rarely found the need. The head is awesome. Rock solid and there is no creep from locking down whatsoever. The Profi II is rated for a 17.6lb load so its a relative lightweight compared to others in this thread but I have ultimate trust in mine.

Harley Goldman
12-Jun-2012, 19:26
Another vote for the Acratech GP. Excellent lightweight ballhead. Held an Arca F Line Classic system fine, now holds a Chamonix.

Brian Ellis
12-Jun-2012, 19:55
I don't use ball heads on LF cameras but if I did I'd use the same one I use for my digital camera (which with lens weighs as much as some 4x5 cameras), i.e. the Really Right Stuff BH-55 head. Great head, the clamp system on the RRS heads is a big improvement in terms of speed and convenience over the Arca-style clamp system IMHO (I used to own an Arca B1).

jose angel
13-Jun-2012, 09:48
I`m currently using a P0 from Arca-Swiss, modified with a Markins clamp to get Arca_Swiss standard plates.

It is very light (probably in the same range as the Acratechs), but can hold easily any of my cameras, usually a DLC or a Technika (4x5") with any lens. When it`s locked, it`s really locked. And it locks with a very little effort. With either hand, and without looking for a knob. It`s not as tall as the Acratechs.

A very nice useful feature is to have the panning base on top; no need of leveling the tripod, only the head. Great for horizontal adjustments. I highly recommend it; both the P0 and the Acratech GP are desinned to work this way.

The only "issue" is that you could -or not- get used to its "tightening ring" system. And it has a somewhat odd smoothness, like a dry metal-to-metal friction. I`m tempted to add a bit of grease...

jose angel
13-Jun-2012, 10:03
I had an acratech ball head for use with a Chamonix and feisol tripod, which made for a very light setup. I also had the Bogen 410 head, though, and even though it was heavier I ended up settling on that head as my standard for 4x5. One thing that changed my mind was the cold morning when the camera flopped over and my finger got jammed in the ball head. This can happen with any kind of head, but the 410 has a rigid default position that is reassuring. I also found it more suitable for small adjustments when you're fine tuning your composition. So, for me, I found the heavier Bogen 410 preferable to the Acratech for workflow reasons.
Mandoman, I`m very tempted of buying the 410... Do you consider it rigid enough to work with heavy macro setups? (mostly in small format/pro camera with focusing rails, but also in 4x5").

Time ago I checked in a shop for a while the 405 (its big sister) and found it with a not so tight feeling... I must say it was the first time, maybe it`s the way it works (no tightening at all), or it was the play when turning the knobs... I don`t know if getting it or not. I`m not interested in the bigger 405, only in the 410.

Bill_1856
13-Jun-2012, 10:13
Acratech heads are great, but very expensive. I've found a really good, light, inexpensive one, even has a built-in quick release.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/131428-REG/Slik_618_708_Pro_800_Ball_Head.html

Two23
13-Jun-2012, 15:23
And another vote for AcraTech. I've been using one for at least 8 years now. It doesn't creep. It doesn't jam with ice or dust either. I've used it in all the conditions South Dakota can throw at it, and today I used it out on a glacier in Iceland. I've used a Shen Hao, Chamonix o45n, and vintage Watson & Son half plate camera. It works perfectly every time. The problem with Manfrotto heads are the QR plates. They drove me insane as they twist around. I've owned several Bogen/Manfrotto heads and they just aren't in the class of the AcraTech. Buy a good head and use it for the next 20 years.

Kent in (Reykjavik, Island)

ROL
13-Jun-2012, 15:42
+1 Acratech (5X7 even!)

Preston
13-Jun-2012, 16:07
I you can find one, take a look at the Kaiser Pro 6011 'Medium' ball head. I've had mine for several years and it's given me no problems. It has a nice tension adjustment that, when set properly for your setup will keep things from flopping around. I used with with my Tachihara 4x5 and now with my Chamonix 045n-2. I believe it was about $200 US.

A quick search found one at Adorama (http://www.adorama.com/KRBHM.html) for $219.00.

--P

rustyair
14-Jun-2012, 09:50
Thanks all. There are so many ball and 3 way heads out there! I'm like wow...