PDA

View Full Version : Portland Art Museum photography exhibit

austin granger
2-Jun-2012, 12:45
Hi all. The other day I went down to the Portland Art Museum to check out the Mark Rothko exhibit. Unfortunately, it turns out I was a few days late for Rothko (oops!), but since I was there I decided to go in anyway. I'm glad I did. There's a current exhibit called "70 Years/70 Photographs" which includes pictures by Minor White, Ansel Adams, Edward and Brett Weston, Harry Callahan, and Atget, among many others. I found some of the pictures underwhelming and others totally humbling (opinions will vary), but in any case it's definitely worth checking out.

And if you do go, don't forget the paintings! Really, you could spend a lifetime in there. This may be sacrilege on a photographer's forum :), but I have to admit the single most affecting work for me was Van Gogh's 'Ox-Cart.' Nearly brought me to my knees it did.

http://portlandartmuseum.org/

Austin

Robert Brummitt
2-Jun-2012, 16:42
Thanks for the suggestion, Austin. I would agree regarding visiting the Museum. I plan to head over and see the Monet exhibit myself. I have been a big believer that one should study and enjoy the paintings and sculptures. It helps one understand your art.
Thanks for the suggestion again!
R

DougD
3-Jun-2012, 08:51
It's not like I need another excuse to go to Portland. Great city to visit.

Pete Suttner
3-Jun-2012, 10:35
Thanks for the heads up - Pete

neil poulsen
3-Jun-2012, 10:42
This sounds like an excellent exhibit. Thanks for the heads up.

ThomasHobbes
3-Jun-2012, 18:46
There are Minor White photos now on display on the third floor of the Hoffman Wing. The curator recently rehung the entire floor and included a few photos.