PDA

View Full Version : Darkroom trash control

BetterSense
1-Jun-2012, 05:15
What do you do with your darkroom trash? Meaning test prints, test strips, oof negatives, etc? I never do anything special and just chuck it out with the trash, but when I used to live in an apartment, it bothered me dumping a bunch of poor-quality prints and negatives into the dumpster where the next tenant would see them. It's not that I would worry about my images being stolen or anything of the kind, more like I'm not sure every subject I photograph would approve of having their portrait tossed out like that. Dose anyone burn or shred their darkroom trash?

Maybe I just have a lot more bad prints and negatives than everyone else...

Brian Ellis
1-Jun-2012, 05:20
When I used a darkroom I put the darkroom trash in a large trash-can along with all the other household trash. I then left the large trash can by the side of the road for the city trash-collectors to pick up on the appointed day. It never occurred to me to burn it and I doubt that I could, the places I've lived have had stringent regulations about when and where things could be burned.

Larry Gebhardt
1-Jun-2012, 06:51
Out with the household trash for me. I drive it to the dump, so it doesn't sit in a public dumpster.

Bill Burk
1-Jun-2012, 07:10
I tear them up so I can't change my mind and dig it out later.

One bad print I made recently I kept. It was a river and came out too light and looked like ice. I had some trouble in the past making ice look like ice, so I needed that river to keep as reference for what ice should look like.

Ansel Adams used to throw his prints out in the trash. A friend got an alternate take of Clearing Storm that way.

Ron McElroy
1-Jun-2012, 10:07
I've always thrown prints and negatives away with the household trash. I don't think many people would dig around in the trash bags which often have mucho dog poop inside.

RW Hawkins
1-Jun-2012, 12:08
I'm a little self conscience of my trash as well, mainly because I've seen lots of people going through the dumpsters! So I definitely rip up my trash prints lest they resurface!

vinny
1-Jun-2012, 12:29
sell the test prints on ebay or etsy. just call it art.

E. von Hoegh
1-Jun-2012, 12:43
I'm a little self conscience of my trash as well, mainly because I've seen lots of people going through the dumpsters! So I definitely rip up my trash prints lest they resurface!

I just put something nasty in the bag with the torn up prints. If they want to look through them that bad, they can cope with that brownish green slime I poured out of a forgotten jar from the back of the fridge.

Bill Burk
1-Jun-2012, 14:56
I just put something nasty in the bag with the torn up prints. If they want to look through them that bad, they can cope with that brownish green slime I poured out of a forgotten jar from the back of the fridge.

That's funny.

I only tear them up so I don't go back after them. Green slime won't stop me.

Vaughn
1-Jun-2012, 15:11
Sent off to be recycled...

false_Aesthetic
1-Jun-2012, 15:17
A few years ago we were printing some important work for a photographer. One of us threw a botched print out. Few days later a friend noticed that someone was trying to sell the (now signed) print on craigslist--even though it was crumpled up. From that point on any print that was botched got shredded.

Pawlowski6132
1-Jun-2012, 16:34
Out with the household trash for me. I drive it to the dump, so it doesn't sit in a public dumpster.

Why

ic-racer
1-Jun-2012, 18:16
I'd be flattered if someone wants to take my junk prints from the trash. Maybe they will be incorporated into some million dollar 'found object' sculpture.