PDA

View Full Version : Shen-Hao HZX 4X5-IIA vs Wista SP

Robert Ley
28-Jan-2004, 15:57
I recently spent my first season of shooting 4x5 with a Super Graphic and feel that I am ready to move on. I just purchased a mono-rail 4x5 (Cambo SCRII) that I really like but realize it is just too heavy for field work. Right now my work is about equally split between studio and field, thus I would like to get an appropriate field camera. I have heard many good things about both the Shen-Hao and the Wista. I like the idea of the interchangable bellows with both of these cameras. The Shen-Hao has the slightly longer bellows and is marginally lighter and smaller. The Wista, having the metal body is probably tougher and able to withstand more abuse that a field camera may be subjected to. Also, cost is a consideration. I could get a new Shen-Hao with lensboards and bag bellows for what it would cost for a good used Wista. I would like to know if anyone has used both cameras or any similar (ZoneVI vs Horseman, etc.)? My main concern with the Shen-Hao is whether it will stand up to the rigors of field work. I feel that I am fairly careful with my equipment, but stuff does happen. Any help or light that could be cast on this subject would be greatly appreciated. Regards, Robert

Bob Salomon
28-Jan-2004, 16:35
Wista also has cherry, ebony or rosewood models.

Frank Petronio
28-Jan-2004, 17:30
Get a used metal bodied Wista (VX, SP, or RF) on eBay for around $800. They are much higher quality than the Chinese 4x5s or even the wooden Wista. Heck, I think they are as good as the Linhofs and/or anything else on the market. Probably one of the more underated cameras.

The SP has the micro-swing adjustment which really isn't that big a deal - so the VX (same w/o the micro swing) is also a good camera. The RF has a rangefinder.

sanking
28-Jan-2004, 20:47
Can anyone provide a direct email contact to the Shen-Hao factory in China?

evan clarke
29-Jan-2004, 05:57
Hi Sandy, Here is the link for their site..Evan Clarke http://www.shen-hao.com/right.htm

Michael E. Gordon
29-Jan-2004, 08:54
The Shen Hao is a lot of bang for the buck, and has more movements than many other comparable field cameras. I think you'll be more than satisfied with the durability of the teak. Sure, it will scratch, but it's a tool, not a museum piece.

The Shen Hao is not light: it weighs right around six pounds, but again, you'll have all the movements you will need except for extreme architecture.

www.mgordonphotography.com

Guy Tal
29-Jan-2004, 13:01
I handled the ShenHao and own a Wista VX (same as the SP but without the micro swings). Both are great cameras. Feature-wise, the ShenHao's longer bellows gives you the option of longer lenses (I know of someone who uses a 500mm telephoto Nikkor on one), and has more generous movements (including front fall that the Wista can only do if you drop the bed). The ergonomics on the Wista are nicer (smooth movements and focus, brighter screen, standard viewing hood that also protects the GG, standard fresnel etc.) and it folds into a solid brick (with 150mm lens mounted) that can be tossed in any pack with little fear of damage.
I like handling the Wista much better than the ShenHao (or other wooden models for that matters) and to me that's a significant factor. I don't think you'll be disappointed with either.

Guy

Wayne Crider
30-Jan-2004, 21:24
There's a whole slew of good cameras out there if the Super doesn't have the movements you need for whatever your doing. The questions is, what are your normal subjects? Are you looking to shoot 400 and 500mm lenses, or are you more a wide angle to normal shooter and need something that takes the wider lenses and which allows movements? The Shen Hao is very popular and cheap enough. The cherry Wista very nice, light and with a very bright GG, but obviously more money. If you've decided that you can commit to the larger format, and justify it with actually getting out and shooting more often than not, why not upgrade a little. Buy yourself a used model with some silkier movements, lighter weight with sturdy design. I am seeing more and more 4x5's of good manufactuer hitting the used classifieds lately, and being sold, so maybe keep an eye out and see what pops up. There was just a couple of Arca's recently on Photonet, but they are now apparently gone. Btw, are you going to sell the Super?

Archphoto
8-Apr-2009, 09:27
Probable a geared movement. By turning the knob you adjust finely instead of loosening a knob, move and tighten again.

By the way, this thread is a bit over 5 years old....... I wonder if the people of yesteryear are still around.

Peter

ki6mf
12-Apr-2009, 07:19
For the money you cant beat a Shen Hao. Chamoniax has similar movements and cost however delivery times are long. Shen Hao has established distribution worldwide so the camera, parts, and accessories are available. They are always bringing out new accessories like the digital adapter for your Canon or Nikon DSLR for example. If new the cost is light years lower than Wista. I have used a Shen Hao for 3 years and would never sell it. You also almost never see a Shen Hao on E Bay! Everyone holds onto these cameras!

Joseph O'Neil
12-Apr-2009, 09:39
I see the comments about wear and marks on a wood field camera. Perhaps a bit off topic, but to preserve the wood finish on ANY wood field camera, when not in use, I keep my cameras wrapped in a large chamois.

You buy them at auto supply stores, in the car wash section. Buy new, clean, and keep your cameras wrapped whenever in storage, even in a camera bag.

I use a "4 foot" one for my Tachihara, and a "5 foot" one for my Zone VI, which is a bit larger camera.

joe

Brian Ellis
13-Apr-2009, 15:14
The Wista and the Shen have the same basic extension - right at 12 inches. The Shen can gain an extra 2" or so because it has front axis and base tilt. By first using base tilt to tilt the lens forward and out beyond the camera bed, and then using axis tilt to align the lens with the film plane, you can gain another couple inches.

I owned a Shen for only a brief time (not because I disliked it but because the seller misrepresnted it) but found that system of gaining another couple inches of extension to be something of a pain, not to mention what I thought was a lack of stability with the lens hanging out a couple inches beyond the camera bed.

This isn't intended as a knock on the Shen, it's a very nice camera for the money, just an amplification of a previous statement that the Shen has a longer bellows. If someone is going to be regularly using a lens longer than about 240mm I'm not sure either camera would be the best choice but if they otherwise liked them they could always gain an extra couple inches of extension with either by using a "top hat" lens board.

emo supremo
21-Apr-2009, 00:53
This might be getting a little off topic but the last post about 'not using lenses beyond 240mm' got me thinking. I recently acquired a 300mm Nikkor M and it's on the F1 a lot more than the 240 (or 150)mm. I was thinking of obtaining one of the cameras in this thread and so pose the question: If you are enamored of the 300mm lens are either of these camera disqualified or should the original shopper (myself included) be thinking about a telephoto lens for either of these two cameras. Not a bad question really since many of us probably have that 300ish basic lens on the closest shelf for their 5x7 8x10 gear.

Maybe these two portable/packable cameras aren't for the landscape photographer and something with more bellows should be considered?

Bob Salomon
21-Apr-2009, 01:28
Maybe these two portable/packable cameras aren't for the landscape photographer and something with more bellows should be considered?

You can add more bellows and bed to a Wista or you can add an extension lensboard set to get longer extension with the standard bellows on a Wista. The 12" bellows on a Wista is only the starting point - more extension is available, easily.

Larry Gebhardt
21-Apr-2009, 04:58
If you regularly use a 300mm lens the Shen-Hao can get a bit clumsy feeling. It will focus to about 30 feet without doing enything funny with my Nikon 300M. Closer than that and it does work and lock down tight enough with the base and axis tilts, but as you can probably imagine it isn't the most convenient to switch to doing this when in the middle of focusing.

Mark Sampson
21-Apr-2009, 07:53
I used a 4x5 Tachihara (13" bellows draw) and a Nikkor-M 300/9 for a number of years, a very nice lightweight setup. That extra 1'' of draw was very handy.

Brian Ellis
22-Apr-2009, 11:24
This might be getting a little off topic but the last post about 'not using lenses beyond 240mm' got me thinking. I recently acquired a 300mm Nikkor M and it's on the F1 a lot more than the 240 (or 150)mm. I was thinking of obtaining one of the cameras in this thread and so pose the question: If you are enamored of the 300mm lens are either of these camera disqualified or should the original shopper (myself included) be thinking about a telephoto lens for either of these two cameras. Not a bad question really since many of us probably have that 300ish basic lens on the closest shelf for their 5x7 8x10 gear.

I wouldn't say either is "disqualified" since there are work-arounds with both (and of course even a 12" extension will let you focus at infinity with a 300mm lens, just no closer). On the Shen, as I mentioned before you can extend from the normal 12" to about 14" if you go through some gyrations with front base and axis tilt. And as I mentioned with the Wista, you can gain another couple inches by using a "top hat" extension lens board (you could do that with the Shen as well if you needed the extra couple inches but didn't want to fool around with base and axis tilt).

But while neither is exactly "disqualified," IMHO neither camera is the ideal choice for someone who wants to use a 300mm lens with any regularity just because neither camera is really designed to use lenses that long (i.e. IMHO having the work-arounds available isn't the same thing in terms of ease of use and stability as having a camera that is designed and built to accept 300mm or longer lenses).

Mike Herring
23-Apr-2009, 07:40
I see the comments about wear and marks on a wood field camera. Perhaps a bit off topic, but to preserve the wood finish on ANY wood field camera, when not in use, I keep my cameras wrapped in a large chamois.

You buy them at auto supply stores, in the car wash section. Buy new, clean, and keep your cameras wrapped whenever in storage, even in a camera bag.

I use a "4 foot" one for my Tachihara, and a "5 foot" one for my Zone VI, which is a bit larger camera.

joe
I love my Wista SP. It is very well built and as durable as a Russian T24 tank.
Use it with lenses from 65 to 300mm. Have wide-angle bellows and other accessories. Only thing nicer is a Linhof which is built better than a Rolls-Royce!

Have fun,
Mike