PDA

View Full Version : Long lens additional support

ambroz
21-May-2012, 01:47
I have a Toyo 810M and Fujinon-C 600mm lens. I believe the front end needs additional support. One option is using Manfrotto Magic Arm (see picture), the other is additional tripod or monopod.

The magic arm could be very stable, because it can form a triangle-like shape. (From statics - triangle is more stable than rectangle.)
On the other hand, additional monopod, firmly placed to the ground, away from the tripod which can be source of vibrations, should be fine too.

Has anyone tried both solutions? What is your experience?

Ambroz

Vick Vickery
21-May-2012, 07:03
I'd probably just set up a second tripod or a monopod...simply because I have each available. I'm a beleiver in the KISS theory! :)

Michael Jones
21-May-2012, 07:20
I currently use a monopod under the front standard, but find it somewhat inconvenient to setup. Several other people using ULFs in this forum swear by the Monfrotto arm. I’m about ready to try it strictly for ease of use.

Mike

Stephen Willard
21-May-2012, 18:46
I shoot using the Nikkor T 1200mm lens with a mono pod directly under the front standard. Sometimes, I also run a giant bungee cord rubber band from the front standard down between the tripod legs and back up to the back standard to further dampen any vibration. At 1200mm even the vibrations form the Copal shutter can blur the image.

Leigh
21-May-2012, 19:40
There are two separate but related problems that may require different solutions:
1) the mass of the lens, and whether the camera can support it; and
2) the centering of the lens, whether its mass is evenly distributed fore and aft of the lensboard.

If the lens is really heavy but mounted symmetrically in the lensboard,
you can get by supporting the camera directly below the front standard.

If the lens extendss significantly in front of the lensboard, you need to support it
at a point farther forward to reduce strain on the front standard.

These solutions make the simplifying assumption that you're not using significant front tilt.

- Leigh

Hugo Zhang
21-May-2012, 21:36
I use this.

Old-N-Feeble
22-May-2012, 07:22
Hugo... Can one use your long lens support WITH the front rail extension on the 45N-1?