PDA

View Full Version : 8x10 lenses - how much coverage is required for movements?

AussieDan
21-May-2012, 01:26
I've got an 8x10 camera arriving in the mail soon and need to buy a lens...

My rough calculations show the film diagonal of 8x10 film to be 322mm... what is the minimum extra coverage I'd need from the image circle? I have my eye on a lens that has 420mm coverage. Would the extra 100mm (10cm/4 inches)be sufficient for movements needed for general landscapes? I mostly shoot portraits, but am hoping to get a lens with the coverage required to do some movements for landscapes. It's a Caltar SII 300mm I'm looking at, by the way... and I know that's not very wide :-)

Thanks a million :-)

Lachlan 717
21-May-2012, 03:49
420mm is substantial coverage for 8x10. Has you camera got enough movements to utilise the image circle?

ic-racer
21-May-2012, 05:58

My rough calculations show the film diagonal of 8x10 film to be 322mm... what is the minimum extra coverage I'd need from the image circle? I have my eye on a lens that has 420mm coverage. Would the extra 100mm (10cm/4 inches)be sufficient for movements needed for general landscapes? I mostly shoot portraits, but am hoping to get a lens with the coverage required to do some movements for landscapes. It's a Caltar SII 300mm I'm looking at, by the way... and I know that's not very wide :-)

If you are using a film holder, your image area is not likely to be 322mm. If you overlap the image on the baseboard easel your image area might be more like 305mm.

Every extra millimeter of lens coverage will give you an extra millimeter of movement. If you break it down into x and y axis then movement available it is about half that. If you break it down further into movement from center then movement available is half that again.

Leigh
21-May-2012, 06:47
If you break it down into x and y axis then movement available it is about half that.
Ahhh... nope.

The limit of movement is the point at which the IC hits a corner of the film, not the midpoint of an edge.

- Leigh

E. von Hoegh
21-May-2012, 07:01

Your 300 will give all the movement (and then some) you need for landscapes.

AussieDan
21-May-2012, 17:20
Thanks everyone. Your helpful answers helped me decide to buy it - it's on its way to me right now :-) What would I do without all the knowledge you have? :-)