PDA

View Full Version : After oil mounting - what do you do with the film?

Frank Petronio
14-May-2012, 07:58
Other than tossing it, of course... ? What's the "best practice"?

Daniel Stone
14-May-2012, 09:15
Are you referring to the original negative/transparency, or the overlay "film"?

If the former, I clean the film with film cleaner and pec pads(RC 2001 on the page below):

http://aztek.com/consumables.html#

If the latter, I toss the mylar(film) after unmounting the film.

-Dan

Noah A
14-May-2012, 09:52
I'm not sure if you can re-use the mylar or if you'd want to with all of the potential headaches it could cause. I trash it. I guess it should be recyclable but I'm sorry to say that I never thought to check with my local authority to see if they take it.

As for the negatives/transparencies, I use film cleaner and pec pads just like Daniel said. If you mount with Kami fluid there will be very little residue to begin with, so the film usually requires just a minor cleaning. The lightweight Prazio fluid I was using when I first got my drum scanner was more of a mess, but even it wasn't too bad.

BTW Daniel, not to hijack the thread but have you ever compared the RC2001 film cleaner with the PEC-12 film cleaner? I've been using the latter but I may order some of the RC2001 since I need to place an order soon for fluid and drum cleaner anyway.

Daniel Stone
14-May-2012, 11:40
Noah,

I've been using the remainder of a bottle I got with my drums and mounting station from the prior owner. Works well, but use in a VENTILATED area, like outside. Don't need a lot.

-Dan

Lenny Eiger
14-May-2012, 12:09
If by film, you mean the mylar, I just toss it....

If you mean the piece of film, well, with this kind of fluid, you just wave it in the air and its gone. I don't like film cleaner. I don't use it on a piece of film unless its really dirty. I don't clean after a scan. I don't want to deliver film back to my clients with more scratches than when it got here.

On occasion there is a little residue but in my experience its easily just wiped off with a pec pad-type wipe... it doesn't require cleaning...

Lenny

false_Aesthetic
14-May-2012, 13:47
What lenny said

Nathan Potter
14-May-2012, 18:52
Any small amount of residue is often due to residue that was on the film before the application of the wet mount fluid. The fluid dissolves what is already on the film. If you work in a very humid environment then water vapor can condense before and after the application of the mounting fluid, and water will evaporate much more slowly - can also be destructive to the emulsion.

The best solution is to use a nitrogen gun to dry the film prior to fluid application. To remove the fluid after mylar removal use the nitrogen gun again to force the fluid to the edge of the film where the last bit will evaporate and leave only residue at the non image film margin. Most fluids evaporate quickly so work fast.

If you have decently pristine film Lennys method ought to work well.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

David Schaller
14-May-2012, 20:36
Are you referring to the original negative/transparency, or the overlay "film"?

If the former, I clean the film with film cleaner and pec pads(RC 2001 on the page below):

http://aztek.com/consumables.html#

If the latter, I toss the mylar(film) after unmounting the film.

-Dan