PDA

View Full Version : Bumping Classified Ads - A Tolerance Issue

Old-N-Feeble
10-May-2012, 17:13
I recently inquired about the tolerance from other members regarding WTB and WTS ads.

The consensus was, on average, "it's okay" to bump a WTB ad once per week and "it's okay" to bump a WTS ad once per two weeks.

So why do I see folks bumping up to 2-3 times per day and no one complains? Even moderators bump their WTS ads pretty darned often. If moderators can do it then why can't I?

lenser
10-May-2012, 17:28
I have no problem with ads being bumped at least once per day or more often. It's all about keeping what is offered or wanted in front of the viewers until a deal is made. Bumping or refreshing the placement of the ad is all about aiding that sales or search process.

Old-N-Feeble
10-May-2012, 17:48
lenser... Thank you. I know many folks on this forum don't care. However, the majority do seem to care. My query has to do with the fact that several selling members bump quite often... not even counting the "free bumps" from other members... and that even some moderators bump every day or two.

I'm trying to fit in here and respect others' wishes but I don't see how "being more thoughtful of others" benefits the individual who either needs to sell something for a dire cash need or who really wants to buy something for his/her personal use.

I hate feeBay and PayPay. I'd rather sell at lower prices and pass the savings to those who need a better deal.

Paul Bujak
10-May-2012, 18:14
A non-issue, methinks. If the FS/WTB item is something I'm not interested in, I pass right on by. Don't care how many times it gets bumped or pinched or whatever.

vinny
10-May-2012, 18:18
I called a waaambulance for you.

lenser
10-May-2012, 18:24
Old and feeble--I'm probably one of the guilty ones since when I sell something on this site, I monitor the post at least twice daily to be able to respond to questions. If my offerings get too far down the list, say past the second page, I do the bump. Again, to me it's appropriate to keep the item in front of as many eyes as possible since some folks may not check the for sale items all that often and may not have the patience to go through six or eight pages to see what has been offered in the last few days.

Leigh
10-May-2012, 18:24
OnF...

Who cares? If you're not interested, don't look at the ad.

Why are you wasting our time with this nonsense?
Are you trying to prove your pseudonym is justified?

- Leigh

Old-N-Feeble
10-May-2012, 18:52
Okay... I'll sell/buy here and on APUG without guilt from bumping twice per week.

Thanks, all!!

Roger Cole
10-May-2012, 19:27
OnF...

Who cares? If you're not interested, don't look at the ad.

Why are you wasting our time with this nonsense?
Are you trying to prove your pseudonym is justified?

- Leigh

He's not wasting anyone's time. If you choose to waste time reading it, don't blame the poster.

Seems like a legitimate inquire as to what's acceptable, posted in the proper area, to me.

And now pretty much answered so I'll move along, nothing to see here... :)

Leigh
10-May-2012, 19:35
Roger,

If you've been paying attention, there was just a lengthy thread on this subject last week,
with OnF being one of the prime participants.

- Leigh

Roger Cole
10-May-2012, 19:49
Nah, missed it but he did say the consensus was. So it appears to me that he was legitimately confused - thought there was consensus, saw something else, asked for clarification. Makes sense to me but I might feel differently if I read the original thread. I guess he could have posted as a reply in that thread; might have worked better.

Lachlan 717
10-May-2012, 22:03
However, the majority do [sic] seem to care.

Where is the data to support this?

Vaughn
10-May-2012, 22:49
lenser... Thank you. I know many folks on this forum don't care. However, the majority do seem to care...

Really? A majority cares? Did you poll a representative sample of the members to find that out?

Vaughn

Editted to add -- dang, should have looked at the second page of posts -- Lachian beat me to it!

mdm
10-May-2012, 23:34
I put him on my ignore list soon after he started posting, the number one scrounger and tire kicker and frequent bumper of threads by saying he wishes he had the money, or he will next week etc. Have you actually used your Canham yet Mr Feeble, havent seen any picture posts except a digital one ages ago. Maybe the labs are too expensive.

sully75
11-May-2012, 03:05
I'm totally fine with/prefer if someone bumps once per day. Lately there is not that much stuff up anyway. I have no guilt about bumping something when it moves to page 2. I've never heard anyone complain about it before.

Old-N-Feeble
11-May-2012, 07:07
In this post I was going to address several remarks directly but there's really no need. I'll just say "thank you" to those who replied positively with sincerity. I have my answer. ;)

Kevin J. Kolosky
29-Aug-2012, 11:58
"Why are you wasting our time with this nonsense?
Are you trying to prove your pseudonym is justified?"

Nobody "wasted" your time. You chose to read it and respond to it. You wasted your own time if that is what you feel it is.

BrianShaw
29-Aug-2012, 12:26
I think ONF has "left the house". I hope nothing serious has happened to him (he was in poor health - physically and mentally).