PDA

View Full Version : Risky Buy?

Anonymousish
7-May-2012, 14:12
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=290706828934+&item=290706828934&lgeo=1&vectorid=229466

I very much want to delve into LF, but am unfortunately on a tight budget. With my scouring on eBay, I've found this badly photographed, seemingly risky and outrageous deal. Is it worth it? Could I sell a lens or two to fund the rest of what I'll be needing? Help.

Mark Woods
7-May-2012, 14:27
Looks like a good deal. The Ektar alone is worth more than the whole kit. It looks like you're going to need the adapter from the mono rail to the tripod.

Corran
7-May-2012, 14:29
It looks like it's missing the tripod block that would go between the two standards.

The lenses, if working well and not full of fungus, are probably worth more than the asking price.

It's risky, though return shipping in the case of problems would be expensive.

Brian Ellis
7-May-2012, 14:30
Sure it's risky. The seller apparently has never used this equipment. The lenses and shutters are old, which means they could have problems. The shutters aren't made any more so parts to repair them if necessary might not be available. The seller hasn't performed a proper test to see if the bellows are light tight (just looking at them isn't enough, he needs to put the camera in a dark room, remove the back, and shine a flashlight all around the inside of the bellows while looking at the outside, especially the corners, to see if light comes through). I've never owned this camera or any other Linhof monorail (I've owned two Technikas) but in general Linhof is considered one of thevery best brands of LF cameras. Someone who knows the camera might be able to spot problems from the pictures or tell you things to ask and watch out for.

So there's certainly some risk. But then most ebay auctions are risky to some degree, this one is probably no more risky than any other auction of comparably old gear that hasn't actually been used by the seller. At a minimum I'd ask him to perform a proper test on the bellows to see if it leaks light. A new bellows, especially a Linhof bellows, can set you back $300 or so.

IanG
7-May-2012, 14:31
Welcome to the world of LF.

At that price it's a bargain. If the lenses are in good shutters you could certainly sell one or two but only the 12" Commercial Ektar would fetch a reasonable price and it's worth keeping.

Ian

Vick Vickery
7-May-2012, 14:55
It looks like it's missing the tripod block that would go between the two standards.

The lenses, if working well and not full of fungus, are probably worth more than the asking price.

It's risky, though return shipping in the case of problems would be expensive.

The tripod block that fits on the rail is the white piece that looks kind of like a tripod head, I think. I agree that this looks like a very good deal.

Corran
7-May-2012, 17:14
Oh good, didn't see that.

c.d.ewen
7-May-2012, 17:38
The device on the left in two of the pictures - the thing with the red inside cover - is a Gossen light meter. It's a well-respected meter, but uses batteries which are no longer available. There are solutions to that, so speak up if you happen to purchase the kit.

Charley

Anonymousish
7-May-2012, 17:40
Thank you all very much! I'll try to get it sometime soon. This has a been a wonderful introduction to the LF forums and the fantastic people here. Again, thank you very much.

ic-racer
7-May-2012, 17:56
Way too much money. The light meter probably does not work, the shutters are untested, no pictures of the glass to see if they are hazy. The lenses in question are not worth much anyway. The bellows looks trashed. I'd say that is a $250 kit for the person that likes to fix and restore equipment. For $500 all the above mentioned things should be stated to be functional.

fralexis
7-May-2012, 17:57
To be honest, I think you could do better. You can buy a great camera in great shape for less on KEH. You can get one for around $250.00 and then a lens for not much more. That way, you know you are getting good quality. They have a return policy if it is not what you wanted. The one on ebay looks a bit rough from the photos.

Thank you all very much! I'll try to get it sometime soon. This has a been a wonderful introduction to the LF forums and the fantastic people here. Again, thank you very much.

Old-N-Feeble
7-May-2012, 18:13
If you want it and are willing to take the risk then buy it. If you can't take the risk then don't.

BTW... Next time you find what appears to be a great deal DON'T POST THE LINK because you'll just alert others who will buy it before you make up your mind. That stated... don't make a panic purchase either.

Two23
7-May-2012, 18:20
BTW... Next time you find what appears to be a great deal DON'T POST THE LINK because you'll just alert others who will buy it before you make up your mind. That stated... don't make a panic purchase either.

That's usually good advice, but I think most of us are going to give a newbie a break and not bid. Besides, it doesn't look like the stuff we would typically go after full bore.

Kent in SD

Old-N-Feeble
7-May-2012, 18:31
That's usually good advice, but I think most of us are going to give a newbie a break and not bid.<snip>

Kent... For those with any decent degree of integrity... I'd agree. But for 70 percent++ of the population... including here and on APUG... or anywhere else... no!! I've researched this quite a bit. If there's profit to be had then most folks will steal that candy from the grasp of the innocents.

sultanofcognac
8-May-2012, 00:23
Kent... For those with any decent degree of integrity... I'd agree. But for 70 percent++ of the population... including here and on APUG... or anywhere else... no!! I've researched this quite a bit. If there's profit to be had then most folks will steal that candy from the grasp of the innocents.

… unfortunately, I find the above to be quite true.

I the same vein, there are much better deals - so why don't we help and find something and send private posts to Anonymousis so he/she can see what we'd go after for the same price? (the links I provide are from here in Europe)

For example: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Plaubel-Peco-13-x-18-Universal-III-Schneider-Kreuznach-viel-Zubehor-/261014552970?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Analogkameras&hash=item3cc5ae018a

or: http://www.ebay.de/itm/Plaubel-Peco-Profia-Fachkamera-Zubehor-/200753979421?pt=DE_Foto_Camcorder_Analogkameras&hash=item2ebddea01d (this is 'selbstabholung', which means pick-up only - in Hamburg!)

These are just to illustrate what could be bought if you take your time.

P.S. I have a Plaubel Peco Profia 20 x 25cm (8x10 inch). It's not a field camera but I use it exclusively in the field. When back problems return I take my Shen Hao, but the Plaubel is an excellent mark.

Good luck

pbryld
8-May-2012, 07:25
It is probably true that it came for a photographer, which leaves good reason for the things to be in relatively good condition.

E. von Hoegh
8-May-2012, 07:40
Pig in a poke. The bellows look iffy, and even if the lenses are in good condition, they'll almost certainly need the shutters cleaned and lubed to function reliably.

mandoman7
8-May-2012, 12:40
Bellows condition is critical if your buying used LF. If its an unknown as in this case, the I would steer clear.
There are lots of good examples of starter outfits in good condition. You want to find a seller who tried LF and found it wasn't to their liking.

BrianShaw
8-May-2012, 12:41
If there's profit to be had then most folks will steal that candy from the grasp of the innocents.

Fortunately there's not much profit that could come from this. It is BIN, so what that means whoever is first to make the committment buys the lot. I don't quite know what integrity has to do with it.

Old-N-Feeble
8-May-2012, 13:00
Hi Brian... Yes, in this case that's true. BUT... how many of us would pass up a $1000 item with a BIN price of $100... just... because... a fellow member asked for our advice? I think we all know ourselves well enough to admit the truth... if only to ourselves.

Avoid specificity... and especially don't post the link!!

BrianShaw
8-May-2012, 13:09
The only buyer there ever will be is the person who pays the price. Talk is cheap. This is not a moral dilemna since nobody is screwing the person who is asking -- just talking -- but not making the committment. I agree totally... posting the link is not a good way to preserve one's option to buy after all the talk has happened.

BrianShaw
8-May-2012, 13:10
p.s. The bellows look questionable to me too. I also don't like the sellers mention in every one of their auctions about "handling fees". I don't know how much a big box costs but I'll bet it is not too much and certainly not $25.

E. von Hoegh
8-May-2012, 13:12
Hi Brian... Yes, in this case that's true. BUT... how many of us would pass up a $1000 item with a BIN price of $100... just... because... a fellow member asked for our advice? I think we all know ourselves well enough to admit the truth... if only to ourselves.

Avoid specificity... and especially don't post the link!!

Depends on the item. Camera stuff, no. 23j Waltham Vanguard with Lossier spring and wind indicator, yes. What's really pitiful is I already have one in as-new condition.

BrianShaw
8-May-2012, 13:15
Wait a minute. What's the auction number for that "minty" Waltham???

uphereinmytree
8-May-2012, 13:17
I think this kit is NOT worth the price. I'll bet more of it doesn't work than does. Anyone trying to charge handling fees for a box is trying to fleece you. Avoid it. I like to buy these kinds of kits and wouldn't bother with this one.

E. von Hoegh
8-May-2012, 13:19
Wait a minute. What's the auction number for that "minty" Waltham???

The minty one is in my cabinet drawer. It's between the Riverside Maximus and the non wind indicator Vanguard.

BrianShaw
8-May-2012, 13:19
You are mean... perhaps even a bit evil!

Old-N-Feeble
8-May-2012, 13:21
Time to watch another thread...

E. von Hoegh
8-May-2012, 13:22
You are mean... perhaps even a bit evil!

There's a Rolex Milgauss in another drawer. On top is a Hamilton and an 1835-ish Parkinson & Frodsham marine chronometer

Anonymousish
8-May-2012, 16:07
I knew there was risk in posting the link, but there was never much chance of me buying it anyway, so it was more of a test than anything.

Those Plaubels are fantastic!! How can I not find stuff like this!? Thank you very much.

Sorry for being spotty and concise with posting. I'm new; I didn't think this thread would get much action.

Two23
8-May-2012, 18:18
I knew there was risk in posting the link, ....I didn't think this thread would get much action.

With this crowd, you would have attracted less attention if you had posted: "Naked Sweet Young Things!"

Kent in SD

Old-N-Feeble
8-May-2012, 18:21
Hey Kent... We're old, not DEAD!!

mandoman7
9-May-2012, 09:15
IMO, the tipping factor in that equation has to do with image. People will act in their self interest when there are no observers (that they care about) to contend with, such as on the highway. But, when there's an image benefit among peers then we see the more magnanimous gestures. Its cut-throat on ebay, but in the classifieds of various forums where there's even commentary about a seller's history, there's a tendency towards much more responsible behavior. You see other versions of this when someone feels their credibility is challenged here. Big debates about stuff other people hardly care about. Its our precious self image.

BrianShaw
9-May-2012, 09:19
So... after all this discussion it is still available. Has the time limit on polite refrainment from buying expired yet?

E. von Hoegh
9-May-2012, 09:33
I don't want it.