PDA

View Full Version : Hello from Teton Valley Idaho

mmerig
30-Apr-2012, 17:27
For work and pleasure, I have started into large-format photography. I am a long-term film user, starting with a hand-me down Voigtlander Vito II in the late 1960's, and developing and printing black and white negatives and prints and some E6 color slides soon after (my aunt had a nice darkroom, and my dad was a professional photographer - weddings and such on the side). I don't mind the slow process of film photography involved with large format. Over the last several years, I have mostly used color slide film (lots of Kodachrome until recently) so my darkroom skills are very rusty.

My work takes me outdoors most of the summer (I am a research plant ecologist) and work-related pictures are typically for scientific purposes. Sometimes my photos are published in science journals and a calender or two. Repeat photography of old pictures, to show change over time, is one aspect of my work where large-format is advantagous, because the negative contains so much detail that is important for interpretation.

For pleasure, my photo subjects are landscape, wildlife, and vegetation. I am an avid alpine mountaineer and backcountry skier, so many photos are in those settings, and necessarily with a 35 mm.

I recently bought a Meridian 45B, and have and will likely use it for black & white landscape photos, concentrating on winter scenes in the mountains to begin with.

By the way, I need an empty 4 by 5 film box so I can send some film out for processing. Does anyone have a spare box? I'll gladly pay postage etc.

P.S. I see the acronym "PM" on these posts for communication. Is that just email or something else?

From what I have read, there are many helpful and knowledgable folks on the LF Photgraphy forum.

Thanks.

Mike Merigliano

Robert Perrin
4-May-2012, 14:22
Welcome, Mike. PM stands for private message. You can send one to a LF member by clicking on the name in the left hand column and selecting private message. When you receive one you will get a message and link in your regular email or you can go directly to private messages at the top of this page. If you send me a mailing address I'll be happy to send an empty film box.

Thad Gerheim
4-May-2012, 17:23
Idaho? Isn't that somewhere in South America where they grow corn? Just kidding. Most people don't have a clue about the topography of Idaho, maybe its good to keep it that way. Welcome from another Idahoan. After twenty-six years in Stanley, I moved to the warmer climate of Challis (6o miles downriver). But, yes I like to ski, but only do a fraction of the backcountry telemark skiing that I used to do. Its mostly flat tracking on skinny skis and hopefully my knees will hold out a little longer. Interesting profession your in! I'm not an expert, but after spending the last six months in the Frank Church River of No Return Wilderness I can verify something that you already know. Wolves are good for riparian areas and bad for elk!
I can send you an empty 4x5 box, what's your address.

eddie
6-May-2012, 18:03
welcome mike.

i went to ISU for a bit....have family in IF and gooding of all places....:)

scm
8-May-2012, 00:08
I used to spend quite a bit of time in that stretch between Victor and Tetonia. My old friend from way back owns the rental store in Driggs and, last I heard, one of my photo instructors from the University of Utah lives in Victor.

mmerig
9-May-2012, 09:32
Hi scm,

Good to hear from a former Teton Valley denizen. By the way, your friend in the rental business is doing well. Who is the photo instructor?

scm
9-May-2012, 09:37
Hi scm,

Good to hear from a former Teton Valley denizen. By the way, your friend in the rental business is doing well. Who is the photo instructor?

His name is Fred Wright.

Jess C
9-May-2012, 21:05
Welcome to LF, Mike!