PDA

View Full Version : Photobackpacker Backpack Design Input

Photobackpacker
28-Apr-2012, 07:11
I am getting close to a major breakthrough in the replacement for the Kelty P2 and P1 and will be finishing a prototype this weekend. I have a number of things to nail down before making the announcement but it is looking very promising for now. I am down to the details for the bag itself and would love some input:

For the P1 and P2 users, I have a few questions for you:

1. The external daisy chain that runs vertically on the outer pocket - Does anyone actually use this to attach gear?

2. The Card Organizer found inside the outer pocket with pencil slots, business card slots, a zippered mesh pocket - Does anyone use this?

3. Is there a need for lash points at the top of the bag?

Bruce

Dan Henderson
28-Apr-2012, 07:34
Bruce: congratulations. I will be interested to see the finished product. As a user for several years of a Kelty/Photobackpacker setup, here are my opinions:

1. I have never used the external daisy chain and always wondered what its intended purpose was.
2. My setup is old enough that the outer pocket is not compatible. However, I use a 4x5 film holder compartment inside my pack. I store my field notebook and extra notecards in the storage pockets and would miss it if it were not there.
3. I have occasionally used the top side lash points to fasten my jacket when it got warm. Top lash points might be useful as long as they don't interfere with opening the pack.
4: Unsolicited opinion: I usually put my stainless steel canteen in one of the side mesh pockets. On occasion it has fallen out, so to prevent its loss I have jerry-rigged a strap and clip. I am afraid to put anything else in these pockets lest they fall out unnoticed. Some sort of loss prevention would be useful, to me at least.
Best,
Dan

Greg Miller
28-Apr-2012, 07:50
I'm not using your packs, but:

1) I like external daisy chains for attaching other gear (usually with carabiners). Such as sandals, or harness & nylon webbing to be used with a short rope to protect when working around precarious locations.
2) yes, good to ensure always having business cards and model/property releases.

Kirk Gittings
28-Apr-2012, 07:54
Bruce, I have the 3100, not sure how similar it is but none of the above for me. However I am never overnighting. The daisy chain looks cool however.:) Make sure it has an outer pocket that can be used for a water bladder like the 3100.

Ed Richards
28-Apr-2012, 08:02
How about an external frame version for the tropics? The current pack is soaked with sweat by the end of the day, and I am fighting heat stroke. :)

false_Aesthetic
28-Apr-2012, 08:20
Hey,

I just bought one of these from you about 2 weeks ago. I've been testing it out.

1) Daisy Chain is not necessary imo.
2) not necessary.
3) i wouldn't mind lash points on top.

And for unsolicited stuff:

1) I'm attaching a tripod on the side of the pack. This works fine but I have doubts about the durability of the mesh.
2) I'd prefer attaching the tripod to the back of the pack instead of the side.
3) I'm sure there aren't too many people that want this but I'd love to get rid of the entire extra zip-pouch thing. I have everything I need in the main compartment and still have room for more.
4) I wouldn't mind a shorter pack available. The pack is great, I can get a MQC, 3 lenses, 6-5x7 holders and a bunch of other stuff in the main compartment but I would also love a pack with a similar width and depth but less height. Some days I just want to go out with a smaller, lighter kit.

Chris Wong
28-Apr-2012, 08:37
Bruce,

No to #1 and #3. Yes to #2 but not for pens, or business cards. I put small miscellaneous, photo equipment in it.

ljsegil
28-Apr-2012, 09:46
Hi Bruce,
A couple of thoughts. I do use the top lashes, always have plans that never actually happen to use the loops with some carabiners, and do use the inside pockets. I'd be lost without the side pockets but appreciate being able to remove them for air travel. Which brings me to my question: The P2 is technically to large for an airline carry on, though I have gotten away with it by removing the pockets, the upper row of cases, and tying everything down as tightly as possible to minimize the size of the bag (dimension is pretty much constrained by the backer board anyway). But it's tight, and if I ever got challenged I'm sure would have to check the pack. Any chance of a smaller pack specifically designed for air travel? Removable pockets, perhaps on the back as well as the sides, and a smaller or more easily removable backer board that could fit in a suitcase would be key elements, I think. As the total weight such a pack could carry would likely be less than a loaded P2 perhaps the harness could be simplified and decreased in size? Anyway, just some random musings. Regardless, your stuff remains the best gear going, amazing the way it customizes to whatever my needs may be at any time, and always succeeds in making me look dorky enough to embarrass my family such that they pretend they don't know me and therefore leave me to photograph in peace (big tripod hanging off the side of the pack does wonders for the dork effect).
Thanks and best regards,
Larry

ROL
28-Apr-2012, 10:03
1. The external daisy chain that runs vertically on the outer pocket - Does anyone actually use this to attach gear?

Photo–wise, I find them useful for carabinering on spare shoes or sandals for "wet work".

2. The Card Organizer found inside the outer pocket with pencil slots, business card slots, a zippered mesh pocket - Does anyone use this?

Photo–wise, I do think organizers of all kinds are useful if properly designed for today's accessories: iPhone/Pod, 3X5 notecards, hex wrench sets, eyeglasses, loupe, etc.

Any bag with lash points for carrying extra gear, other than for accommodating tripods, is too small to begin with.

Caveat: I don't use photo carriers as they tend not to carry well and are over designed (with the possible exception of LF gear), as your posed questions suggest. I would add a simple easy to use tripod attachment system, if not already present.

vinny
28-Apr-2012, 10:29
.....and for this crowd, a pocket for geritol, ben gay, and wheels attached to the bottom.

Colin Graham
28-Apr-2012, 11:57
1-The daisy chain is very useful
2- Would it be possible to have a smaller backer-board for the front pouch with configurable pockets and slots? Most of the small items I carry end up jumbled in the bottom of that pouch because there isn't enough room in the existing pockets.
3- I use the handle often so not sure how much I would use lash points at the top. They would be useful though for adding a auxiliary pouch for longer hikes.

It would be nice to move the quick release buckles for the side lashes from the top front of the panel to the top of the side panel. With any weight in the side pockets the pockets slip around a bit when climbing over uneven terrain. It helps to cinch them down with side straps. It's possible to do that with the existing buckles, but they have to be unbuckled to open the pack.

I also though it would be great to have a some optional pouches that would attach to the belt. I have another pack with belt pockets big enough for an MF folder and a few rolls of film, and quick access to it is a nice touch.

Anyway, these are just trivial suggestions- I really like the existing design and have been enjoying the P1 immensely.

Alan Butcher
28-Apr-2012, 12:50
1) I have a P1, I use the external daisy chain, especially the bottom loop when attaching my tripod, would prefer just a couple of loops on the edge of the bottom below the outer pocket, would be more "rigid".
2) I do not use the card organizer or the pen/pencil holders(do not like loose items), but do use the zippered pocket.
3) There is a definite need for lash points on top of bag, again would help to secure tripod, etc. I use the top handle for a lash point.

For the P1 and P2 users, I have a few questions for you:

Bruce

drew.saunders
28-Apr-2012, 16:50

Yes, I sometimes strap my jacket there with bungie cords. I could probably live without it.

It's a good place for pens, laser pointers (low light focus aid), the Calumet exposure calculator, and I think I fit a small grey card in one of those. I could probably live without it if there was a similar pocket, all of those things could be stuffed into a plain, larger, pocket.

That would be another place to put a jacket, possibly better than the daisy chain.

Drew

Photobackpacker
30-Apr-2012, 15:58
Thanks for your input. I will keep you posted.

Bruce

RW Hawkins
30-Apr-2012, 17:51
I'm a relatively happy P2 user. I like the daisy chain and internal pockets! Your individual board and holders are dead on!.

Bruce, I hope you get the new backpack right. Historically the number one complaint with photo backpacks has been they weren't as good as standard hiking backpacks. I have to say even the P2 is slightly off. The compression straps don't seem to be at the right points, the overall height is a little off, and it sits a little low without a very tight belt. Don't get me wrong it is better than any other photo backpack I have used, but just saying it is tough to get right. I could carry 100lbs+ in my Mountainsmith and even my older Kelty. I can't say the same for my P2 :(

Boinzo
30-Apr-2012, 18:07
I have a P2.
1. I like the daisy chain - but have used it only very infrequently (great for a pair of thongs [I think you guys call 'em "flip flops"]) :)
2. I use the mesh pocket area for a first aid kit - it is very assessable - the pen holders - never used.
3. I can't see me needing lash points - but I don't overnight

Other stuff:
I agree with the comment on the mesh side pockets and water bottle. Mine falls out pretty easily.
I wish the backer board was able to be more securely fastened (one of the strings came off mine) - as it tends to slide down about an inch under the weight of the camera gear I carry. This makes things pretty uncomfortable pretty quickly.
I also would really like some belt pockets!

Thanks Bruce. Love your work!

Dan Henderson
30-Apr-2012, 18:43
Oh yeah, belt pockets. For small items that you don't want to have to take the pack off to access. I carry a Linhof viewfinder that I use to decide whether something is worth setting up for. I rigged a Tamrac case to the belt to keep it accessible but it is not ideal. Belt pockets designed for the system would be great.

brianam
30-Apr-2012, 19:10
Another datapoint of user feedback: "Not used" to #1 & 3, "Yes, do use" to #2.
Also, second Dan's comment above about a pocket on the belt. something small would be great.

thanks Bruce, yours is a great product and glad to hear you're working to make it even better.

Drew Bedo
28-May-2012, 20:25
I am not a Kelty user, BUT:

My very old LowePro backpack has a tripod cup (to hold the bottom of the legs) that can be moved from the side to the back. I like this feature.

I like lash points—wherever. The more the better.

Just my 0.02.

Cheers

Kodachrome25
17-Jun-2012, 09:32
So I take it this gear is more like Lowe Pro or Tenba stuff rather than a truly professional back country / remote multi-mile, multi-day solution. Reason being that there is simply no room for gear that is far more important than camera gear like food, water, clothing, avalanche or climbing gear, etc.

Word of advice, develop a line of gear that is less one trick pony like. I can not wear a lens case if the going gets tough. This stuff *does* look like great on location gear for working out of, but there is already far too much of that. I am designing my own stuff at this point, becuse I need to able to take on an assignment for Outside and not be a liability to the rest of the party. Phenomenal outside imagery requires you to be there for a long time, if not live there. Gear like this does not allow for that to happen, period...

You might be wondering why I posted then....? Because unlike Lowe Pro, you seem to genuinely interested in user opinion which is great. So I was really excited to see what this stuff might be all about. But as it would turn out, it is more of the same haul it to a location gear, not back country gear.

Keep working at it, I have been shooting for a living full time for over 20 years and not a single company has come up with what I or a lot of us need.....and at least you are putting forth a good effort...;-)

Kirk Gittings
17-Jun-2012, 10:36
Your end of the market is pretty tiny frankly, but given that you don't seem to understand the real genius of PBP. You can buy their entire system or custom outfit the pack to your particular specks (partially or fully outfitted just for cameras) OR you can fully or partially custom adapt ANY backpack to protect your camera gear with a custom backer board. This is nothing at all like Lowe Pro or Tenba. It is not perfect but IMO about as good as it gets in terms of custom adaptability for a very diverse market.

Preston
17-Jun-2012, 11:13
After much research, I am saving up for a Photo-Back-Packer pack. I have a Lowe-Pro and the pack itself is just too heavy--add camera gear...

--P

Tony R
25-Jun-2012, 15:57
Hi all

I have a Horseman LX monorail, 4 lenses, and the usual accessories and am currently using a large internal frame backpack lined with thick foam. This setup is heavy and doesn't use the space efficiently. Are the Photobackpacker backpacks adaptable to carrying monorails?

Cheers
Tony

Joseph Dickerson
26-Jun-2012, 11:04
Tony,

I have a camera cradle the Bruce made for my Sinar F1. I put the camera (both standards at the rear of the rail) and cradle in the bottom of the bag with the rail on one side and pointing up. It "sandwiches" the camera with a lens in place and has two tie-down straps, one over the body and one over the monorail so that the camera doesn't bounce around. Works like a charm, but your Horseman might be some bulkier.

Contact Bruce, he is great about getting back to people promptly. He also seems to know the dimensions of every camera ever made off the top of his head.

JD

Tony R
26-Jun-2012, 16:15
Hi Joseph

Thanks for your advice. The Horseman front and rear standards fold parallel to the rail - this gives a 'flat' package approximately 18"x13"x3'' - currently I cushion this between two pieces of foam (which can deteriorate if you pick the wrong type). The remaining equipment is fitted into hole cut into the foam - ok, but not efficient use of space. I'll contact Bruce for his ideas.

Thanks again

Tony

Joseph Dickerson
27-Jun-2012, 07:48
With my Sinar I keep the standards in the normal position and just slide them to the rear end of the rail. This makes the camera essentially an "L". The camera goes ass-end to the bottom of the pack with the rail sticking up along one side. Bruce's camera cradle facilitates this while protecting the camera. BTW, my Kelty is an old one but similar to the P-2 (3100cc I believe).

About a hundred years ago I had a Horseman LE and carried it this way in a back pack, this was long before the elegant solutions that Bruce offers, but even then it was workable. It also shortens set up time considerably over having to rotate the standards et al. I loved the Horseman, but really didn't relish carrying it in the field but as they say, "horses for courses".

Bruce can certainly help you come up with a workable (better?) solution to getting the Horseman out into the world. :cool:

JD

Photobackpacker
7-Aug-2013, 15:40
It took over a year but finally, the New RPT/Granite Gear Backpack is here. The bag is nearly identical to the P1 and P2. The difference is in the suspension. I have mounted the bag on the Granite Gear Air Current Suspension system. This suspension won the Outdoor Product of the year award and Backpacker Magazine Editors Choice award in 2011. Some of the Large Format Forum regulars participated as Beta Testers and without exception agree that this pack is a dramatic improvement over over the P2. The New P3 is 1.5 pounds lighter than the P2. Serving torso lengths from 14 to 22 and with gender specific belts in small, medium large and extra large, and shoulder straps in small med and large - You can achieve a fit not found in any other camera backpack. On top of that, the Air Current Suspension provides a heat reduction system while still keeping the load close to the users back. You can see it at this link: http://www.photobackpacker.com/images/P3/p3.html

Once again, thank you for your input.

Bruce

Kirk Gittings
7-Aug-2013, 15:45
Damn it Bruce. Would you quit coming up with more good ways to spend my hard earned money????????

Photobackpacker
7-Aug-2013, 20:52
Damn it Bruce. Would you quit coming up with more good ways to spend my hard earned money????????

The "never-satisfied" imagination never rests.......:cool:

Former Member 27732
8-Aug-2013, 06:24
Bruce,
I'm assuming we can add a custom camera case. Does the P3 include a backerboard? Is the waist strap interchangeable?
Thanks
/Frank

Alan Curtis
8-Aug-2013, 08:36
Bruce
I have to agree with Kirk. I spent the last couple of months in New Mexico and North Carolina carrying my gear in one of your "OLD" packs. Thinking to myself what a wise choice I made several years ago stitching to your system, because it is so good. Now I find out there is something better. Thanks for your continued improvements.

SergeiR
8-Aug-2013, 10:03
I been awe of many folks with mine, while shooting around in Siberia last two months. Thanks, Bruce ;)

Robert Langham
9-Aug-2013, 04:08
I use an old F64 for my 5X7 Deardorff, four lenses, eight holders, meter, darkcloth, et. I handcarry or use a shoulder strap for my Gitzo. Having trouble on each of my sets of YKK zippers- I've blown out one side or the other of two of the three. I rarely go more than a mile with this back one way, but do have some longer trudges in the future as AIR at Grand Canyon. Your system looks pretty good. Maybe I need to upgrade. This pack has a belt I can nearly get tight enough, but not quite. I overnight out of it with very minimal gear- just a pad a sleeping bag cover.

Anyone know how to re-track a double YKK zipper? One side is still zipping but the other side is off the track.

99936 99937 99938

Holders in the top, camera in the bottom, food and gear in the removeable side pockets. Pad on the bottom.

Photobackpacker
9-Aug-2013, 07:04
Bruce,
I'm assuming we can add a custom camera case. Does the P3 include a backerboard? Is the waist strap interchangeable?
Thanks
/Frank

Yes, the P3 has loop material incorporated into the design. Backerboards weigh 8 ounces. The incorporated loop material weighs 2 ounces. You can still use backerboards with this pack if you are a multi-format, multi-kit shooter but I couldn't resist reducing the cost and weight of the backerboard.

Photobackpacker
9-Aug-2013, 07:24
My dilemma was finding a pack at least as good as the P2 at a reasonable Minimum Order Quantity without having to suffer through quality control issues and keeping the price somewhere close to the P2. You can imagine if I failed on any of those, I would ruin my brand's reputation.

I have been talking to the founders of Granite Gear since 2007 and all of their suspension options were too expensive. When the Air Current Suspension was released in 2011, it was like hitting the lottery: a suspension system within the price range and a factory that is already building packs for two premier brands! I sent 6 packs out to beta testers. At the end of the beta test, I offered to let them buy the pack at the prototype price or I would send them a prepaid label to return it. Two of them replied: You can have this pack back when you (pry it off of my cold dead body) and (pry it out of my cold dead hands). These were P2 owners who, as far as I know, do not know each other. All of beta testers were in agreement, we have hit the target with this backpack.

It took almost 3 years to accomplish this but I am confident my customers will agree that it was worth the effort.

Photobackpacker
9-Aug-2013, 07:34
Robert:

There is an REI store in Dallas. Call ahead to see if they stock the Granite Gear Blaze 60 backpack. If so ask them to measure your torso length and set one up for you. Load one up with weight equivalent to your equipment and walk around the store (customers do this all the time). I think you will be astounded at how much lighter the load feels.

Bruce

Colin Graham
9-Aug-2013, 08:34
The bag is nearly identical to the P1 and P2. The difference is in the suspension. I have mounted the bag on the Granite Gear Air Current Suspension system. This suspension won the Outdoor Product of the year award and Backpacker Magazine Editors Choice award in 2011. You can see it at this link: http://www.photobackpacker.com/images/P3/p3.html

Looks great. Do you have any more information or pictures of the new suspension on the P3? Is the suspension configured and attached like this the one on this bag- http://www.granitegearstore.com/Blaze-AC-60-P309C67.aspx, with a 35lb load rating, lash points for pockets on the belt, etc? And is the P3 compatible with Granite Gear accessories? Thanks.

Photobackpacker
9-Aug-2013, 11:44
I am working on the pictures to provide more information. The suspension is that same as the Blaze however, the frame sheet is now from a stronger plastic and will get you into the 40+ pound range. The belts and Shoulder straps I sell are identical to the Granite Gear straps and are interchangeable.

Looks great. Do you have any more information or pictures of the new suspension on the P3? Is the suspension configured and attached like this the one on this bag- http://www.granitegearstore.com/Blaze-AC-60-P309C67.aspx, with a 35lb load rating, lash points for pockets on the belt, etc? And is the P3 compatible with Granite Gear accessories? Thanks.

Colin Graham
9-Aug-2013, 14:47
Sounds like a nice upgrade, thanks for the info.

Steve Goldstein
9-Aug-2013, 16:50
Bruce, how does the new pack do against the "official" carryon size?

Jim Fitzgerald
9-Aug-2013, 18:21
So what about us small ULF guys? How does this handle an 8x20 and 11x14? My problem has always been because I'm not a tall guy (5'6") the size of the pack is not large enough to hold my camera and fit my torso. I won't even ask about my 14x17! Yes I pack all three now along with my dinky 8x10.

Photobackpacker
9-Aug-2013, 20:20
Bruce, how does the new pack do against the "official" carryon size?
The stiff portion of the pack will fit in the size checker provided you do not over pack it. The frame sheet is 22 inches. The is the critical dimension for the size checker. International flights are typically more concerned with weight than size but if you don't overload this pack, it will pass. I consider that to be a huge accomplishment!

Bruce

Photobackpacker
9-Aug-2013, 20:24
So what about us small ULF guys? How does this handle an 8x20 and 11x14? My problem has always been because I'm not a tall guy (5'6") the size of the pack is not large enough to hold my camera and fit my torso. I won't even ask about my 14x17! Yes I pack all three now along with my dinky 8x10.

Two of my Beta testers were women 5' 2" in height. My Short Torso pack has the same payload capacity as the regular Torso pack. That is a first. I understand that people short in stature are not short in determination to haul big kits into the field. I believe that is an exclusive bragging right for the RPT/photobackpacker line. As for the 8x20, lets talk. The reality of manufacturing is that you can't expand the line to meet all needs unless there is sufficient demand to support the production run. Lets talk and see if we can help you.

Bruce

Drew Bedo
13-Aug-2013, 10:16
Bruce:

I got a few boxes this spring for a family trip to Colorado. I love them. I am transitioning ny 4x5 kit to boxes—aox for the Zone-VI is next on the list. Good Stuff!

cgrab
23-Aug-2013, 08:43
Unfortunately, living in Europe, I have never seen one of your packs in the flesh, so I am not able to comment on them. I have big LowePro which I use very little, due to two major inconvenients. First, it makes me sweat. Very quickly my clothes are wet, my back is wet, and the part of the pack touching my body is wet. And this leads to problem number two, when I set the pack down to open it, the straps and back are on the ground, because the opening flap is on the other side. Even if the ground is not snow or mud or wet grass, the straps and adjacent parts, being wet, will pick up dust, sand etc, which will then transform to clingy dirt and transfer to clothes, hands...

i wonder if anybody else sees this also as an inconvenient.

D-tach
23-Aug-2013, 10:21
Unfortunately, living in Europe, I have never seen one of your packs in the flesh, so I am not able to comment on them. I have big LowePro which I use very little, due to two major inconvenients. First, it makes me sweat. Very quickly my clothes are wet, my back is wet, and the part of the pack touching my body is wet. And this leads to problem number two, when I set the pack down to open it, the straps and back are on the ground, because the opening flap is on the other side. Even if the ground is not snow or mud or wet grass, the straps and adjacent parts, being wet, will pick up dust, sand etc, which will then transform to clingy dirt and transfer to clothes, hands...

You could put a plastic sheet of 1m square in your backpack and put your backpack on that.

Former Member 27732
24-Aug-2013, 05:31
I carry a "one-man" ground sheet to use where ever I want to put my pack down. It's long enough to provide protection for the pack and the lid when opened. When I've finished, I can put the wet/dirty sheet into a net bag on the side of the pack.
/Frank...

Drew Bedo
24-Aug-2013, 13:45
A few years ago, I got rid of several external frame Kelty packs from the late 1960s and early 1970s. I did keep one magnesium frame stripped of all attachments. This I fixed to a golf bag pull cart with small automotive hose clamps. I strapped my LowePro Super Trekker AW to that and it walked along with me easy-peazy-light-n-breezy. Kept everything off the ground too.

The PhotoBackpacker website has images and videos of their backpacks in use. Often I see that the pack is hanging from the tripod. That would also keep the gear out of the frass and scree.

Greg Miller
24-Aug-2013, 14:16

That's the same reason I only carry packs that open from the back panel. There aren't many - actually only one brand That I am aware of that actually has decent packs, but they are new and not that well known but demand is outpacing their ability to manufacture (and that is what I currently use (and they are available in Europe)).

jeroldharter
24-Aug-2013, 14:25
I carry a "one-man" ground sheet to use where ever I want to put my pack down. It's long enough to provide protection for the pack and the lid when opened. When I've finished, I can put the wet/dirty sheet into a net bag on the side of the pack.
/Frank...

I cut up a cheap space blanket/survival blanket which is super light and waterproof. It fits on an outside, side pocket on my Photobackpacker pack.

csxcnj
6-Nov-2013, 11:18
Bruce must have had some great design input. Here is the mail I just sent him (slightly edited):

[I]Bruce, you know how you order something, sight unseen but expecting the best, wait with excitement and anticipation for it to arrive and when the big day comes....you end up let down or happy but not completely so because there are some issues or things just aren't quite as expected?

Well not in this case. I am completely 100% satisfied and pleased. The system is better than I imagined. I found myself sounding like a teenager, exclaiming "oh wow...NEAT...who'd a thunk about that...." and on and on.

My big worry was that, due to my balance issues from my stroke I would never be able to use a backpack again and be limited to my car. My Lowe Trekker AW (sp) was too unyielding and heavy so was unusable. It threw me all over the place balance wise.

I took the P3 out fully loaded up for a one mile hike, including up and down a couple of hills and it was like the pack was carrying itself if that makes sense. It hugged my back with almost zero sway, the shoulder belts were comfortable where they passed under my arms, the hip belt rested on my hips without rubbing, it just FIT! And no balance problems, everything felt centered.

The Rpt P3 is the answer to a prayer. Bravo!

Thanks,

Bob Smith[/]

Sent from my iPad

Kirk Gittings
6-Nov-2013, 11:38
I don't have the latest version of the backpack but the Kelty Redwing 3100, but I have to say everything I have gotten from Bruce has been top shelf in terms of functionality and value. These well designed products make hauling my gear past the "100 feet from the car" limit a non issue for me at 63 with bad knees, back and shoulder. Next week I am hiking into the Bisti.

Photobackpacker
6-Nov-2013, 21:53
Bob and Kirk - thanks for the kind words. The truth of it is, at 66 years old, I design for what I want and need. I'm just fortunate my wants and needs line up with others. Amazing how that works out....:)

Good Light!

Bruce

SergeiR
7-Nov-2013, 06:37
Aye, every time i go on serious hike away from studio, no matter which system i carry 4x5 or 8x10 - its beyound awesomeness. I remember how my shoulders used to hurt with Lowepro hauling mere 4x5 with 2 lenses.. When i Russia i did hike for hours away from roads, with 4x5, 3 lenses, clothes, water/food supply & etc.. It was fantastic and i still was able to get myself on the train and not collapse. when getting home, but rather change clothes and go to movies.

Not to mention customer support and actual real pride Bruce takes in how his products designed and should work.

Regular Rod
7-Nov-2013, 10:26
My new RPT-P3 system is fantastic! The difference from the bags (expensive ones) I had bought previously is amazing. Bruce had already set the torso length to match my specified measurements. I never knew carrying 8x10 and all the trimmings could be so easy. The cascade system for my film holders works perfectly too. I have never been so well organised as I now am when out making photographs! An especially nice discovery was that with Bruce's generous offer to absorb the cost of the shipping, it brought the taxes and duty down accordingly. This meant that even after paying Her Majesty's Customs fees (£95) the whole outfit, including the 8x10 cascade, cost slightly less than the big Lowepro I'd been struggling with before! If anyone near me in the UK is thinking of specifying up their own RPT-P3 and its inner fittings to suit their own requirements and would like to see the system, to reassure themselves before buying, if they get in touch via PM they can visit me in Derbyshire and have a hands-on look.

RR