PDA

View Full Version : Kodak 2D

Jachym
15-Jan-2004, 07:47
I want to buy a 8x10 camera (Kodak 2D) & would like to obtain the following information: the camera´s weight. tilt, shift and swing possibilities. I would appreciate any references about this camera and/or some advice on other cameras of similar price category.

matthew blais
15-Jan-2004, 08:11
Try this link: http://www.largeformatphotography.info/classic5x7.html

lee\c
15-Jan-2004, 09:03
WRT the Kodak 2D, it only has front rise. The tilt and swing is on the back standard or frame. I have one of these and it is a nice functionable camera. Nothing fancy but serviceable. Cannot say what the weight is but it is not particulary light.

leec

Nick Morris
15-Jan-2004, 14:29
I have a 2D. Mine is alittle rough, but does everything it was designed to do. I have bought several "extras" for the camera. First I bought rear extension rails. This is helpful if you want to use longer lenses, or do close-up shots. I believe the bellows extention with the front rails is about 17", and about 26" with the extension. At the same time, I was able to get a sliding tripod block. This item allows you to position the camera over the head of your tripod for the best balance, and I feel it makes the camera more stable. I have seen alot of 2Ds with the extension rails, but not the sliding tripod block. I also got a 5x7 reduction back. I like the camera, I like the way it folds up, with the lens in place, and I like using it. It can be set-up pretty fast. It doesn't have the range of movements of some field cameras, but I have found its movements sufficent to achieve the prespective/depth-of-field movements I most use. I would guess it weights about 10 lbs. It is relatively light. I had the chance to buy an Ansco 8x10 at a pretty good price. It has more movements, and was favored by Ansel Adams, but I decided I like my 2D better. If low cost is factor, you might want to consider an Ansco, or the metal Calumets (more movement; rugged; much heavier). There are a number of cameras availible like the 2D, such as Sennca, Gundelach, Century (SP?), but I think the 2Ds are more common. It seems that all these cameras sell in the $250 to $450 range.

N Dhananjay
15-Jan-2004, 22:24
Incidentally, there is a way to get tilt and swing on the front standard. There was an aluminium version of the 2D for which there was a accessory tilting lensboard. This is a basically a lensboard that fits into the camera. The lensboard has a bellows which ends in a lensboard holder which accepts the regular lensboard. The accessory bellows allows the lensboard to tilt and by turning it 90 degrees you can get swings instead of tilts. This lensboard also fits the 2D and lets you get substantial front tilts and swings. Cheers, DJ

Leonard Robertson
16-Jan-2004, 13:24
I just weighed my 8X10 2D on a kitchen scale and it weighs 10 3/4 pounds, with the sliding tripod block, but without lensboard and rear extension track. The rear track alone weighs 1 1/4 pounds, so it is a total of 12 pounds if you carry the track. The advantage of the removable track is you can leave it home and save weight and bulk if you are using normal or wide-angle lenses. Do try to find a 2D that includes the track; they aren't really easy to find seperately, and they were fitted to the individual camera, so a replacement track may not work as well as the original. The 2D is only 6 inches deep when folded up. This makes it easier to fit into cases or packs compared to something like an Ansco 8X10. I also have a gray painted Ansco with front tilt. It weighs 13 1/4 pounds (the rear extension track is built into the bed, not removable), and is 8 3/4 inches deep when folded. If you are carrying the camera any distance, the extra weight and thickness of the Ansco will likely be noticable. If you work close to your vehicle, it may not matter to you. The Ansco is somewhat sturdier and has more movements than the 2D. Note there are versions of the Ansco that do not have the front tilt; the one with front tilt is worth looking for. Another quirk of the gray Ansco is some used a plastic material for the bellows. This can get stiff with age and limit the maximum extension and the ease of using movements. DJ is correct the tilting lensboard is a very nice item to have for a 2D, but I suspect they are rather difficult to find, and expensive from a dealer who knows what they are. If you are skilled with tools, it wouldn't be impossible to make one of these (although time consuming).