PDA

View Full Version : My Fastest Rebuild Ever! An 8x20 Korona Rebuild and Mod in 1 Night!

Fragomeni
28-Apr-2012, 00:06
Hi all,

Just wanted to share this fun project with you all. This afternoon I took delivery of an 8x20 Korona from a member here. The camera has a fresh set of bellows on it which is awesome. The camera was missing the extension rail but a suitable replacement was provided. It was actually the front rail from an 8x10 but matches well. Essentially, I stripped down what needed to and made sure that everything was sitting right. I modified and mated the replacement extension rail to be a next to perfect fit to the camera. I also added a matching hinge so that the camera now has folding front and rear rails instead of a detachable one that would inevitably get lost and with the newly modified rail it has a max extension of 33 inches which isn't too bad. My 450mm and 600mm will do well with it.. The camera came without a back because the original back was mildly warped and needed to be fixed or replaced. I opted to replace it. I would have replaced it either way in order to make use of modern 8x10 film holders as opposed to the older non-ANSI Korona holders. I had an orphan 12x20 to 8x20 reducing back which I intended to use to make an 8x20 expansion back for my V11 Deardorff but which didn't work out because of practicality. I cut down the orphan back to make the new back for the 8x20 and it fits like a glove and the wood even matches fairly well. I still need to complete the light trap on the inside of the back but thats about it. It appears that my 6x6 Deardorff boards fit the camera which was a pleasant surprise and eliminates one of the things I would have had to modify on the camera. All I need to do is reduce the depth of the recess just slightly to make it a snug fit for the boards.

Attached are some images of the nearly completed camera. Now I'm going to bed... :)

Jon Shiu
28-Apr-2012, 07:20
Nice job! The hinge for the rear rail is a good idea.

Jon

Fragomeni
28-Apr-2012, 10:40
Thanks Jon! Loving this camera!

Lachlan 717
28-Apr-2012, 13:33
Nice job! The hinge for the rear rail is a good idea.

Jon

Wouldn't it get in the way when not needed?

I'd find it a PITA when trying to focus whilst using a lens that only requires the front rail. (I don't have a lens that requires it on my 7x17, so leave the extension in a cupboard).

Fragomeni
28-Apr-2012, 13:39
Wouldn't it get in the way when not needed?

I'd find it a PITA when trying to focus whilst using a lens that only requires the front rail. (I don't have a lens that requires it on my 7x17, so leave the extension in a cupboard).

Not at all for me. I'm a long lens kind of guy. For me there is no such thing as a lens that doesn't require the rear rail. Thats why it was a no brainer for me. Even with shorter lenses I don't think the rail would really bother me at all but then again shorter lenses aren't a concern of mine :)

Corran
28-Apr-2012, 15:46
I wonder if it's possible to hinge it under the camera? Should just go around the tripod head hopefully. I thought about trying that on my old Korona but didn't bother.

Pretty sweet camera. Wish I could afford to fool with ULF panoramic stuff, both in terms of money and time.

Lachlan 717
28-Apr-2012, 16:34
I wonder if it's possible to hinge it under the camera? Should just go around the tripod head hopefully. I thought about trying that on my old Korona but didn't bother.

Nah, wouldn't work. It'd upset the folded dimensions of the camera.

I've thought about a connector for under the front rail (leave on until required, then unclip) but this would get in the way of the stabilising rails.

When I get around to getting a 600mm lens, I'll put some real thought into it.

Frank Petronio
28-Apr-2012, 22:36
Most of the people here who can afford ULF are probably retired professionals with nice kitchen cabinets. I can tell you aren't, and that you're hardcore enough to say to Hell with the cabinetry. You'll eat rice and beans to buy film, right?

Kudos

Fragomeni
29-Apr-2012, 00:44
I suppose you could find a way but it wouldn't really make sense to fold the camera that way unless you could be some way of it reversing to fold properly. Realistically, an 8x20 isn't a huge camera and even with both rails down the extension isn't that dramatic that you'd be concerned with the rail "getting in the way". My experience with ULF started with a 20x24 I restored from the back of an antique shop so compared to that the rest of my cameras are a cake walk. I suppose if I used wide lenses it might be a different story and I may not have installed the rear rail on a permanent hinge. In the case of fairly wide lenses the camera is probably more then adequate without the rear rail entirely.

Most of the people here who can afford ULF are probably retired professionals with nice kitchen cabinets. I can tell you aren't, and that you're hardcore enough to say to Hell with the cabinetry. You'll eat rice and beans to buy film, right?
Frank, are you making fun of my cabinets!? Haha, I'm definitely no retired professional and my cabinets are bare except for a box of 7 month old cereal. The house we're in now (we rent) was partially remodeled and they did a half ass job on the kitchen but I didn't think it was that bad haha! :)

Frank Petronio
30-Apr-2012, 04:52
I'm just saying I respect your priorities!

cdholden
30-Apr-2012, 06:21
Wish I could afford to fool with ULF panoramic stuff, both in terms of money and time.

My fiancee has the cabinets. The camera is mine.
Let me know if/when you ever plan to come up this way on a weekend. If you're interested, we can try to schedule some ground glass time for you behind a 12x20.
Chris

mdm
30-Apr-2012, 12:44
Also like the fact there are only a few good prints on your website, rather than many. Makes sense, they are more likely to be seen.

Fragomeni
30-Apr-2012, 14:19
I'm just saying I respect your priorities!
Hahahaha! Well thanks Frank! I think, haha ;)

Also like the fact there are only a few good prints on your website, rather than many. Makes sense, they are more likely to be seen.
Thanks! I'm glad the less is more thing is recognized. I just don't believe that every negative I make or every piece of paper I touch is a treasure and I like to be extremely scrutinizing with the images I choose to show. That and it takes me a long time to sit down and get more images up on the site. I figure only the creme of the crop are worth the effort. I like it that way. Thanks again for the kind words :)

Uncle Jim
11-Jan-2013, 17:02
Hi All,

It would seem from picture three that you could leave the front extension up if you decided to use shorter lenses. Just a thought.

uncle jim

Fragomeni
25-Jan-2013, 18:24
The front extension doesn't get in the way of anything and works great. I've been using lenses from 12 inch to 600mm and it handles them all beautifully with no obstruction.

I'm thinking about selling (or trading) this puppy if anyone is interested. Since moving to NYC I'm just not using as I'd planned and would like to see it being used. Look for an ad in the for sale section soon.

Fragomeni
25-Jan-2013, 18:38
I also ended up modifying the front standard of the camera by replacing it with a metal standard with front movements so its a pretty awesome hybrid!

Rhondal McKinney
4-Feb-2013, 13:41
I came across your posts regarding the Korona when I was looking for advice about where to get a good bellows made for my 12x20 Folmer Schwing. The camera is in fantastic shape--like it's been in storage about a century--and the bellows is stiff like a new one but has lots of pinholes. Do you have any recent experience with a good bellows maker who could fit a new bellows to this camera?

Ron

I also ended up modifying the front standard of the camera by replacing it with a metal standard with front movements so its a pretty awesome hybrid!

Corran
4-Feb-2013, 13:47
Beautiful camera, wish I had something of value to trade for it per your ad. Can't afford to purchase it! Too bad I already sold off the Hasselblad stuff.

Fragomeni
4-Feb-2013, 17:56
Ron,

I haven't really kept track of who's still in the bellows replacement business since it seemed that every time I looked all I could find was stories about long overdue bellows orders. I know that there are at least a couple of custom bellows suppliers still operating (and apparently filling orders) but I don't know who they are. You could contact Keith Canham and ask him. He is usually in the know when it comes to that issue. Your other option is to make your own bellows. There are excellent tutorials online and probably within this forum and if you are just a little handy and patient you could have an excellent set.

Corran, thanks! It is a great camera, I just wish I had more of a use for it. Anyway, it's up for sale now. Here's the link (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?99768-For-Sale-8x20-Korona-Modified-for-Movements-and-Stability) if anyone is interested.

csalata
27-Feb-2013, 09:23
Francesco,

Do you know what camera the new extension rail came off of? I also have an 8x20 Korona and have been looking for an extension rail to adapt to it.

Thanks!
Chris

Jon Shiu
27-Feb-2013, 09:40
It came off of a 8x10 Korona. I think it was the front rail. The width and slot to top height matched, but different Korona 8x10's sometimes have different dimensions.

Jon

Fragomeni
27-Feb-2013, 12:53
Jon nailed it. Front standard from an 8x10 Korona.

csalata
27-Feb-2013, 13:20
Thanks guys!

coisasdavida
5-Mar-2013, 13:54
Following in your footsteps:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8109/8532494108_75fa714e4f_b.jpg

Fragomeni
6-Mar-2013, 16:37
Great job! Have fun with it!!