PDA

View Full Version : Indicating when an item has sold

indy_kid
26-Apr-2012, 09:51
Given that the previous post was closed because a few people chose to go - and stay - off-topic, let me point out a simple fact: this forum already uses one means to indicate activity in a post. Pick a sub-section of the Forum; notice those posts in RED? They indicate a lot of activity - they're hot topics!

So, why does it seem so difficult for some to have something similar when an item has sold? Color likely isn't a good choice, as there's no color that I'm aware of that makes one think of the sale of an item. Greying out of the post title is, IMHO, probably the best option, though there may be others.

Can you, dear reader, think of a way for the OP to indicate when an item has sold at the post title level (e.g., what one sees when they click on the "For Sale/Wanted" link)? Greying out the post title has already been suggested, so please think of other means.

BTW, I agree with those in the previous post that old posts should remain; deleting is not a good option. Keeping the old posts helps to build an archive of prices and comments regarding sold items.

BrianShaw
26-Apr-2012, 10:41
This message has been deleted by BrianShaw (to conserve Kirk's energy for future deletions).
Reason
off topic blah blah blah

goamules
26-Apr-2012, 11:17
I think an up front indication that something is sold would be useful to me, as a buyer or a seller. Many forums allow you to update the title, so FS: chickens, becoms SOLD: chickens. But I can't do that with the current config here. But since I don't peruse many of the ads, it's not that hard for me to scroll to the end of any thread to see if the item is already sold. I suppose if someone is going through all the ads, it could be a hassle, or searching for a very common item, like "film holder".....

Old-N-Feeble
26-Apr-2012, 12:33
A classified ad marked as "SOLD" is good but "DELETED" or "CLOSED" is BAD because the buyer has little protection. I intend to sell a crap-load of things here and on APUG. I WANT folks to have full transparency of me and my honesty. In the beginning I'll lose money... in the end I'll break even and retain my integrity.

Leigh
26-Apr-2012, 14:10
I like goamules idea of adding SOLD in the thread title.
Don't know if that's possible, although APUG does it with the same vBulletin software.

Simplest thing is just add a post to the thread saying SOLD. We'll get the idea.

I start at the end of any FS thread to see if it's been sold, or if the price has dropped, or whatever.
Most viewers probably do the same.

- Leigh

Jim Galli
26-Apr-2012, 15:37
As usual, I've never had a problem. Here's a simple possibility. If something's 6 months old or 3 years old, it must have a good reason it never sold. Price too high? Value too low? Decent items that are priced reasonably seem to sell within 2 weeks.

For instance, my *RARE* Parvin Telephoto lens from 1893 (www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?76945-*RARE*-Parvin-Telephoto-Lens-1893). Listed June 7 2011. Never sold. What does that indicate? Indicates it's not worth $400, $285, $225, or $185.

Old sales are problem children.

Old-N-Feeble
26-Apr-2012, 18:02
I don't believe that old sales are problem children but they are indicators of the current market (at that time). Sadly (for me)... I'll be losing a LOT of money on my sales. But... that's just life.

BrianShaw
27-Apr-2012, 06:18
I've had a 50-50 luck with "old sales". Once I enquired about a months-old FS posting and it had previously sold, and the second time I enquired about one and it was available... so I bought it. Neither was inconvenient nor any trouble. But I understand Jim's point... sometimes they are just like ebay items that get re-listed and re-listed and re-listed, etc.

Old-N-Feeble
27-Apr-2012, 06:27
I've decided to sell very little here on APUG. As much stuff as I need to get rid of it would probably be an irritation. I'll be auctioning most of my items so folks will see my feedback on eBay. What I do sell here though... I want people to see that I'm honest and will follow-up with any issues. Leaving threads open for awhile is the only way to ensure full transparency. I agree that a "Sold" indicator would be good though.

BrianShaw
27-Apr-2012, 06:41
I want people to see that I'm honest and will follow-up with any issues. Leaving threads open for awhile is the only way to ensure full transparency.

That is a totally different topic (albeit related) I think... but interesting. I've given more gear aqway on APUG than I've sold. Mostly because I had stuff I didn't need and became aware through discussion that well-intentioned people needed it. I've had a few good selling experiences but one (on another forum) where I really got screwed by a liar and a cheat. But what makes you think open threads leads to full transparency? From a buyers perspective the things that I think (this is my personal opinion) make for full tranparency are: real names, reputations based on discussion-postings vs for-sale postings. There are some people I wouldn't buy from even if they had the exact gear I needed at the best price ever because they are only a psuedonym who is mostly here to buy/sell, and there are others who have real names and contribute to the discussions who i wouldn't buy with because they always seem to want the advantage rather than work a fair deal. I understand why you are opting for ebay because they have an established system to ensure (for the most part) fair deals between relatively anonymous buyers and sellers. Good luck to you!

Old-N-Feeble
27-Apr-2012, 06:47
Brian,

I didn't intend to get off-topic. I do get confused these daze. ;)

I understand your points and respect your opinion. I just don't like the whole world seeing my full name in open forum because ID theft is far too common. Anyway... anyone who sends payment will know who the seller is by full legal name and their physical address... or at least their PO Box. I don't see how using one's full legal name in open forum will help. Adding to that... who's to say a seller won't post under a false ID? And if payment is made through PayPal to an email address then the buyer still doesn't know if the seller is posting under a false name. I just don't see how any of that will help prevent abuse.

Ralph Barker
27-Apr-2012, 07:06
The practice has always been that sellers are encouraged to make a follow-up post indicating an item has been sold. Absent excessive chit-chat, it's a simple matter to scroll to the bottom of the thread to look for such a post.

We disabled thread editing (and, imposed a post-edit time limit) when we first installed this software in 2005, largely due to the number of people who would abuse that feature.

BrianShaw
27-Apr-2012, 07:54
Brian,

I didn't intend to get off-topic.

I'm OK with that!

indy_kid
27-Apr-2012, 09:10
We disabled thread editing (and, imposed a post-edit time limit) when we first installed this software in 2005, largely due to the number of people who would abuse that feature.

Was there an indication at that time that it would be abused, or just your impression? If there's no evidence of abuse, why not allow it to see what happens? You can always disable it again if it is abused. Personally, I don't see much editing going on.

Also, given that "hot" threads appear red, do you know of a way to make the color grey? It will mean more work for the mods when a seller lets the mods know an item has sold and to "grey out" the post title, but I think it would help show which items have sold, which was my goal in suggesting the matter originally.

Leigh
27-Apr-2012, 09:31
It will mean more work for the mods...
You're awfully generous with other peoples' time.

This seems rather ironic, given that you're too lazy to post a Sold notice on your own, or look for same.

- Leigh

rlee2010
27-Apr-2012, 20:27
http://www.dingsme.info/avatar4.jpg, I agree with those in the previous post that old posts should remain; deleting is not a good option. Keeping the old posts helps to build an archive of prices and comments regarding sold items.

Ralph Barker
28-Apr-2012, 07:05
Was there an indication at that time that it would be abused, or just your impression? If there's no evidence of abuse, why not allow it to see what happens? You can always disable it again if it is abused. Personally, I don't see much editing going on.

Also, given that "hot" threads appear red, do you know of a way to make the color grey? It will mean more work for the mods when a seller lets the mods know an item has sold and to "grey out" the post title, but I think it would help show which items have sold, which was my goal in suggesting the matter originally.

We operate the forum based on the experience of having done so for close to 20 years. Under the old software, we did have instances where various members enjoyed starting fire storms by saying "X", and then going back and changing it to "Y". That problem is solved by not allowing edits after a reply has been posted, or beyond a given time limit, whichever occurs first.

Also, we don't make changes to the software because doing so complicates the process of installing vendor upgrades/fixes.

Old-N-Feeble
28-Apr-2012, 10:24
Hey Ralph... I fully understand. But for us old brain-damaged geezers who make mistakes and, far worse, make complete jerks of ourselves, we would certainly like to correct our mistakes and take back some of the stupid crap that we post. :)

indy_kid
28-Apr-2012, 10:57
This seems rather ironic, given that you're too lazy to post a Sold notice on your own, or look for same.

- Leigh

I've sold just one item, the Toyo 810G (well, I sold the tripod from the Korona camera, but the camera is still for sale if someone ever looks back that far in the posts). If you took the time to look, Leigh, you'd see this:

I believe an apology is in order.

As for the mods' time, I made no requirements of it. I merely pointed out that it would require them to modify a post (grey out the title, etc., to show the item has sold) if they didn't allow sellers to modify their own posts.

Perhaps you should take Plato's advice, Leigh. Being demonstrably wrong doesn't make you look too wise, does it?

Leigh
28-Apr-2012, 11:04
As for the mods' time, I made no requirements of it.
Quite the contrary. Go back and read your earlier post.

- Leigh

Ralph Barker
28-Apr-2012, 12:19
Hey Ralph... I fully understand. But for us old brain-damaged geezers who make mistakes and, far worse, make complete jerks of ourselves, we would certainly like to correct our mistakes and take back some of the stupid crap that we post. :)

Back in the '80s when the Internet "went public" with Usenet News, one of the primary admonitions was to never post anything in anger, because it will be "out there forever". Not long after that, the Preview Button was invented. These remain good things to use.

One can always "report" his/her own post via the little triangle icon, and request deletion by a moderator. Unfortunately, that doesn't delete replies in which our original lapse of sensibility was quoted, however, nor copies archived on other sites. Once we've said something, it is still "out there forever".

Leigh
28-Apr-2012, 12:23
...and take back some of the stupid crap that we post. :)
Simple solution...

Don't post it in the first place.

The Preview button gives you the opportunity to review your text before it goes public.

After that, you have a 2(?)-hour edit window during which you can revise or delete text however you wish.

After that, you're history.

- Leigh

Old-N-Feeble
28-Apr-2012, 12:32
Ralph / Leigh... Thank you and you're both right. However, you're assuming we all have constant control of our mental faculties. There are neurological disorders that cause some of us lapses in common sense and etiquette. I try never to post when I'm not "all here" but I sometimes don't recognize when I'm in that state of mindlessness. I guess I could report my own posts on the following day but I'd rather not bother Moderators with my old foolishness. ;)

At any rate... I do think it would be nice to be able to edit the Title of a Classified Ad as "SOLD" or "FOUND". Anyone seeking historical data can still view those threads but those persons only looking to buy or sell wouldn't be forced to search the entire thread for "SOLD" or "FOUND". This isn't my forum... I'm just speaking from a Member point-of-view.

Zewrak
28-Apr-2012, 14:02
How about a subforum named "finished deals" or something where you move all threads to, still open for comments/feedback?

indy_kid
30-Apr-2012, 10:58
Leigh, the mods manage their own time; they can choose to modify a post to show the item has sold if requested by the seller, or they can simply tell the OP to post a "Sold" message in the thread, as I did in mine (the one you refuse to acknowledge with an appropriate apology). The fact that there were several posts in the thread for my item after the "Sold" message was posted simply means the suggestion of looking at the last post is not a foolproof method of determining if an item has sold. Perhaps that's why you missed it, Leigh.

It's clear that scanning the end of a thread requires more work than my suggestion of altering the post title by greying it out (or some other method); one could see at a glance which items have sold and which have not. It's also clear that looking at the last post in a thread may cause someone - LEIGH - to miss a "Sold" message posted earlier in the thread. Is scanning individual threads how you wish to use your time while online?

Once more, I make no requirements of the mods' time with my suggestion, as I clearly indicated the OP managing their own posts! We now know that the OP can do little more than ask the mods to make any alterations, and we also know the mods have set it up this way based on previous experience; they have put the extra work upon themselves by disabling editing capabilities after a certain time.

Now, Leigh, can you get back on-topic an offer a suggestion for indicating when an item has sold, preferably at the title level, as this will allow a forum member to determine the sale status of 25 (or more) items at a glance? If not, then kindly take Plato's advice.

Leigh
30-Apr-2012, 11:48
Leigh, the mods manage their own time; they can choose to modify a post to show the item has sold if requested by the seller, or they can simply tell the OP to post a "Sold" message in the thread...
There you go, putting demands on the mods' time again.

Why should they "tell the OP to post a sold message"???

If you're too immature to do it on your own, surely their suggestion would be meaningless.

As to making OT suggestions, I did that in post #5, which you apparently haven't read.

- Leigh

Ralph Barker
30-Apr-2012, 17:51
Perhaps this horse has had a sufficient post-demise beating.

BrianShaw
30-Apr-2012, 18:08
Perhaps way too much.

BrianShaw
30-Apr-2012, 18:20
SOLD. Thanks for looking!

Old-N-Feeble
30-Apr-2012, 18:23
I UN-SELL your sold. So... is the thingy still for sale??

BrianShaw
30-Apr-2012, 18:25
You told me that the check was in the mail. I shipped with confirmation. Have you received it yet?

Old-N-Feeble
30-Apr-2012, 18:28
You told me the thingy was shipped so I sent a check. Why haven't you cashed my check? It's been three months!! And where's my thingy??

BrianShaw
30-Apr-2012, 18:31
... so that Old-N-Feeble act is just that -- an act. You are quite quick witted... and right on the ball with your memory. Good luck with your thingy!

Old-N-Feeble
30-Apr-2012, 18:39
Brian... your are joking, right? Now you have me concerned. Did I mess something up?

cabbiinc
30-Apr-2012, 19:06
I just jumped to page 4 here, is it sold yet or do I have to go back through all the replies?

BrianShaw
30-Apr-2012, 20:40
ONF: No problem. I think my joke was funnier in my head than it was in writing. Sorry for giving the wrong impression.

eddie
1-May-2012, 04:57
WTB:

i am looking for a "sold" anyone have them?

ah! never mind i "found" it......"sold"

please edit this thread and close it. it has been "found" and "sold".

Jim Galli
1-May-2012, 06:08
I think we need to start a new thread with a sticky so it will always be at the top, and it'll be for people to dream up non-problems to solve. Let's see, what will we call it? Things that aren't broke that we need to fix!?! Let's come up with a good title, so we don't have to fix that for at least a little while....

WTB:

i am looking for a "sold" anyone have them?

ah! never mind i "found" it......"sold"

please edit this thread and close it. it has been "found" and "sold".

Ralph Barker
1-May-2012, 06:40
I think we need to start a new thread with a sticky so it will always be at the top, and it'll be for people to dream up non-problems to solve. Let's see, what will we call it? Things that aren't broke that we need to fix!?! Let's come up with a good title, so we don't have to fix that for at least a little while....

Chuckle.

Old-N-Feeble
1-May-2012, 07:40
ONF: No problem. I think my joke was funnier in my head than it was in writing. Sorry for giving the wrong impression.

It was very funny... I just wanted to make sure I didn't actually forget something which is completely possible these days. :D

mkshawn.ca
1-May-2012, 07:55
Hello All

New to this forum so pls be gentle. When I go to the For Sale Wanted Forum nothing is listed, nothing for the last year, yet you are all discussing Sold Items?

E. von Hoegh
1-May-2012, 08:01
Hello All

New to this forum so pls be gentle. When I go to the For Sale Wanted Forum nothing is listed, nothing for the last year, yet you are all discussing Sold Items?

You need to be here 30 days to access the for sale forum

FAQ page.http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/faq.php

mkshawn.ca
1-May-2012, 08:18
Tks
I had assumed the 30 days was to post, not for reviewing the forum. As I have been away from LF for many yrs another 30 days is nada! Cheers