PDA

View Full Version : Which Baryta paper for prints?

DKirk
20-Apr-2012, 06:57
I'm in a little quandry. I'm trying to decide on which paper to go for the Harman by Hannemule or the Fotospeed Platinum, then there's the Permajet range. . . does anyone have any suggestions as to which exhibits the least metamerism, and has richer tones.
Currently printing on an Epson 2880 using the permajet CIS.
Normally I'd just get a sample pack and give it a go, however some of the papers are only offered in 20+ sheet boxes and I do not have the funds to spend. I'm leaning toward the harman paper, but I've heard good reports about the fotospeed.
Primarily it will be for printing a series of B&W nudes to be exhibited at the Pittenweem Arts Festival, A3 (or rather a suitable 12x16 crop) to A3+ paper.

John Rodriguez
20-Apr-2012, 22:34
I haven't tested the Fotospeed or Permajet range, but I have tried all the following -

Harman Gloss Baryta Warmtone
Harman Gloss Baryta
Ilford Gold Fibre
Canson Baryta Photographique
Epson Exhibition Fibre
Hahnemuhle Photo Rag Baryta
Hahnemuhle Fine Art Baryta
Hahnemhule Baryta FB

In my opinion, the Harman papers are in a league of their own. They have a mirror-like finish that's just beautiful. Ilford would be second, followed by Canson which is very similar. Both have a very smooth appearance thanks to a fine and even stiple. HM Baryta FB also has a nice surface, just not quite as smooth as Ilford or Canson. I'm not a fan of the surfaces of the other two HM Barytas or the Epson Exhibition Fiber.