PDA

View Full Version : Majestic Heads - Parts or Service?

Daniel Grenier
12-Jan-2004, 10:47
Where does one get either spare parts for, or refurbishing of, Majestic tripod heads? Mine is well used (read abused?) and needs new gearing inside. I don't know what model number it is as that info was erased years ago but it's for my 8x10 and it "wobbles" way too much now - even after adjusting the obvious.

Any ideas?

Bob Salomon
12-Jan-2004, 11:11
I believe Majestic is part of Bencher now. http://www.bencher.com/tripods.html

Daniel Grenier
12-Jan-2004, 11:38
Indeed they are, Bob. Thanks for the quick and correct info.

Steve Hamley
12-Jan-2004, 12:41
Daniel,

If the parts are just worn and not broken, the "wobble" can usually be adjusted out. Does it wobble fore-aft or side-to-side? Also, parts for grey-colored heads are reportedly out of production. Parts for black-colored heads reportedly can still be purchased.

Thanks!

Steve

Capocheny
12-Jan-2004, 14:50
Daniel,

You see these pods on "that auction site" fairly frequently... it might be worthwhile to look at finding a head on the auction block. I'd imagine the cost of these heads and/or repairs wouldn't be all that inexpensive.

Just my .02 cents worth.

Good luck.

Donald Miller
12-Jan-2004, 18:20
I bought the large geared head on feebay...$65.00

Steve Hamley
12-Jan-2004, 18:54
Dan,

Here's the quick answer for slop you can try first.

For side-to-side slop, loosen the camera mounting plate until it is very loose. Now loosen the two allen set screws that hold the upright arms to the shaft. Take a large C-clamp and use it to LIGHTLY (just a bit more than finger pressure) press the arms against the head and retighten the set screws. Remove the C-clamp. Retighten the camera mounting plate.

For fore-aft slop, loosen the set screw in the side of the crank and then tighten the center screw on the end of the shaft. If this doesn't work, you can remove the end plate and shaft assembly and inside you'll see a washer on the shaft between some of the parts. You'll need one slightly thicker. If the shaft isn't bent from having been dropped on the handle, it's pretty easy.

E-mail if you need more detailed instructions..

Thanks!

Steve

Daniel Grenier
13-Jan-2004, 05:39
Thanks all for the suggestions folks;

As for the "wobbling", it is fore-aft as opposed to side-side. It is not caused by misadjustments. Rather, it is because the main gear's teeth are indeed chewed up and worn from not enough gentility. Furthermore, the shaft, where the allen screws hold the bed on either side, is also badly grooved and chewed up introducing yet more wobbling. This "chewing up" happens when the tripod is laid down causing all the weight to be felt where the gear and the drive screw meet and on the two allen screws contact points with the shaft. It's too much weight/pressure for those weak contact points. I found that out too late. Yes, all my fault! I'm now leaving it upright or with under-support when laid down. In the meantime, I am hunting for spare parts for this noble old beast.

Thanks again.

AlexGard
6-Mar-2016, 02:00
I just won a Majestic 1200 on the bay. It is missing the top screw (the one that fixes the camera to the head). Looking around it seems that what is missing is like a little top-hat shaped washer/spacer with he screw. Anyone here with a 1200 head able to give me an idea as to what size/parts these may be so that I can fashion something up from a hardware store? Thread size etc.
Cheers

Lachlan 717
6-Mar-2016, 02:11
Alex,

Have a look at a clip washer. The only point that this washer has is to stop the bolt from dropping out. A clip washer like these. (http://www.lsengineers.co.uk/washer-m10-for-belle-construction-equipment.html) would be best, or even one of these circles should work. (http://engineering.indiabizclub.com/catalog/131512~external+circlips~mumbai)

AlexGard
6-Mar-2016, 02:16
Thanks Lachlan I will look into these.

SMBooth
6-Mar-2016, 02:28
Ill put a photo up tomorrow Alex, to confirm your looking at the nut which captures the camera mounting screw?

AlexGard
6-Mar-2016, 02:41
Thanks Shane

The part I am looking for is circled in this pic. Forgot to mention it's the 1200 head with the 6x7 base plate, same as pictured.

AlexGard
6-Mar-2016, 02:42
Sorry just re-read your post. I'm looking for that whole part, the screw (springed as well, I think?) as well as the top-hat shaped nut.

Lachlan 717
6-Mar-2016, 14:57
Okay - here's the hack:

You'll need a 1/4" 20 tpi bolt. 50mm long should do. You'll need a Wing nut to match the screw. Make sure this is a bolt, and not a screw. I'll explain further down on why.

Put the wing nut on the bolt, but make sure that it's upside down (wings facing the head of the bolt).

The add a decent thickness, 25mm metal washer.

This then goes through the bottom of the head, in to the screw slot. Here's where the clip washer comes into play. Bung it on. It will need to fit in to the track, though, otherwise, it'll upset the camera sitting on the base properly. If you have access to some metal working equipment, you can fabricate a piece to fit in the slot and just tap a 1/4" thread.

Done.

You use the bolt's head to screw the bolt in to the camera (thus why you need the bolt, not the screw. The flat sides of the bolt's head will assist you in screwing the bolt in). Once it's in, use the wing nut/washer to tension the camera to the tripod head.

Not as elegant as the original design. But, it'll get you going!!

If I can find a wing nut in the garage, I'll put the rig together and take a photo so this might make some more sense!

Tin Can
6-Mar-2016, 15:44
The original NOS sold out about a year ago. I may have bought the last, from the locally owned warehouse.

Sorry you cannot find one as they were a great design, which must have been patented. The screw is spring loaded to pop up, but if you missed mating female camera threads to the male, the male retracted, yet kept trying and when you shift the camera into the right spot, bingo. Seems to lessen damage to camera bottom.

No jokes please. It is the only way to describe this device. It has a couple more features, but I will stop while I am ahead. :)

AlexGard
6-Mar-2016, 17:38
Okay - here's the hack:

You'll need a 1/4" 20 tpi bolt. 50mm long should do. You'll need a Wing nut to match the screw. Make sure this is a bolt, and not a screw. I'll explain further down on why.

Put the wing nut on the bolt, but make sure that it's upside down (wings facing the head of the bolt).

This then goes through the bottom of the head, in to the screw slot. Here's where the clip washer comes into play. Bung it on. It will need to fit in to the track, though, otherwise, it'll upset the camera sitting on the base properly. If you have access to some metal working equipment, you can fabricate a piece to fit in the slot and just tap a 1/4" thread.

Done.

You use the bolt's head to screw the bolt in to the camera (thus why you need the bolt, not the screw. The flat sides of the bolt's head will assist you in screwing the bolt in). Once it's in, use the wing nut/washer to tension the camera to the tripod head.

If I can find a wing nut in the garage, I'll put the rig together and take a photo so this might make some more sense!

Awesome... thanks Lachlan... just the info I needed. And I'm not really about elegance... functionality overall!!
You're a star :) Cheers

SMBooth
6-Mar-2016, 17:38
Hunt eBay for 1/4 thumb screws, you will loose the capture mechanism but it will get you going.

Or if you go to Bunnings and head to the cabinet section where you get the short cabinet legs to replace the one broken by your fat Aunty sitting on you table there have a screw in adjuster which is 1/4 and the knob section is a biggish diameter which might work too.

AlexGard
6-Mar-2016, 20:54
Sounds like you have issues from your childhood Shane.

SMBooth
6-Mar-2016, 21:48
Not just my childhood.....

Michael Kadillak
7-Mar-2016, 21:29
I had a head screw requirements similar to the one posted here and yes, I found that Randy probably purchased the last one. I requested the technical drawing for the 3/8" screw (it came with the 1/4'" which was inadequate for my ULF cameras) and was able to get it machined in 3/8 by a machinist friend and reassembled. The owner sent me the technical drawing - nice guy. I remember him telling me that the allen screws that released the bolt were double screws for which one had to take both out in sequence to replace the make up screw. Great head and tripod that I used regularly. The lift option is to die for.

AlexGard
8-Mar-2016, 20:21
does anyone know how reliable Bencher are in communications? I've sent a couple of emails over the last few days but have not heard anything back. Not sure if my messages even went through as their website kind of clunked out after I hit "send"

Tin Can
8-Mar-2016, 20:32
I called today and the phone message said they were not taking messages and obviously not answering. Their market is gone and most won't buy their old school gear new, especially as fools dump it all the time for nothing. In fact I paid nothing for 4 Majestic heads and 2 tripods. The 2 'extra' heads are on 2 Arkay Studio stands that I paid nearly nothing.

I use it all. Often.

does anyone know how reliable Bencher are in communications? I've sent a couple of emails over the last few days but have not heard anything back. Not sure if my messages even went through as their website kind of clunked out after I hit "send"

AlexGard
8-Mar-2016, 22:38
Ah crap. I'm after one of those screw-to-pole mount adapters to get the 1200 to mount to a manfrotto 161 mk2b

Lachlan 717
8-Mar-2016, 23:29
Alex,

Couple of things:

First, look for other head plates (ie. not just the 6x7" version). There are small ones and round ones. You might get the screw fitting from them.

Second, as for connecting these to a 161 Mk2, well, here's how I did it:

(sorry for the sideways images; not sure why).

I had my Dad turn this up when I got the head. The brass is, of course, heavier that the regular Aluminium that Bender uses, but, in the greater scheme of my kit, it really doesn't make much of a difference.

Jim C.
9-Mar-2016, 00:17
Ah crap. I'm after one of those screw-to-pole mount adapters to get the 1200 to mount to a manfrotto 161 mk2b

That's a bummer that Bencher isn't answering their phone, I was going to try to order a new platform for my 1200 head.

AlexGarde, that adapter is simple to make on a lathe, do you know of someone or someone that knows someone that is a machinist ?
Not trying to be funny, but Lachlan's adapter, which is what you're after is a simple part to turn on a lathe if you can have a machinist make it locally you save a few $.

Lachlan 717
9-Mar-2016, 00:40
As Jimmy See writes, it IS a pretty basic "thing". Tube to diameter and a tapped hole to size (3/8" from memory).

AlexGard
9-Mar-2016, 01:14
aye! I don't know anyone with a lathe but I'm sure once I get the diameter I could just get a shop to tap a hole for me.

Lachlan 717
9-Mar-2016, 03:03
I'll measure mine tomorrow and let you know the sizes. Easy!

AlexGard
9-Mar-2016, 03:21
you're a champion mate cheers :)

Jim C.
9-Mar-2016, 14:59
As Jimmy See writes, it IS a pretty basic "thing". Tube to diameter and a tapped hole to size (3/8" from memory).

"Jimmy See " ? :confused: :)

It would not be a tube that you would use, it'll have to be a round rod turned to size, there is a spacer tube inside the head that lock screw bears down on
so it's slightly smaller I recently made a different one and the OD of the post I made is 1.49" ( 37.84 mm ) the ID of the head should be the same.

Lachlan 717
10-Mar-2016, 02:35
Here you go: rough sizing and diagram of the "plug" that my Dad made.

Could be a lot different to the genuine thing, but this does work.

After all, it's not rocket surgery!

AlexGard
16-Mar-2016, 23:32
Awesome lachlan, thanyou. I will take that into a metal fab place tomorrow.

Lachlan 717
17-Mar-2016, 00:17
No worries, Alex.

Give me a hoy if you need anything else.

AlexGard
22-Mar-2016, 20:06
Okay - here's the hack:

Done.

Problem here is that 1/4" is too small for the camera, which is 3/8". The rail on the head is too small for a 3/8" screw to go through it by a bloody hair. Need to get one of those little adapter things.

Lachlan 717
22-Mar-2016, 22:06
You can drill out a hole at one end of the slot to be 3/8".

File a bit of the thread, down near the base, to make it a bit thinner.

Put the bolt through so that the thinner bit is in the slot. Move it away from the bigger hole. Dab some Epoxy over the holes stop the bolt falling out and you're away.

Rick A
29-Mar-2016, 12:22
Any of you good folks have a spare head angle crank handle you would part company with, mine is snapped off at the pivot point where the handle fits to it.

Jonathan Barlow
30-Mar-2016, 19:13
B&H has the post adapters listed as special order items:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/127529-REG/Majestic_80800_800_3_8_Screw_to.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/127530-REG/Majestic_80802_800_3_8_Screw_to.html

AlexGard
4-Apr-2016, 18:49
B&H has the post adapters listed as special order items:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/127529-REG/Majestic_80800_800_3_8_Screw_to.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/127530-REG/Majestic_80802_800_3_8_Screw_to.html

Oh wow thanks so much. Turns out this is going to be cheaper than going into a bloody engineering joint to get this done :(

AlexGard
4-Apr-2016, 20:56
Any of you good folks have a spare head angle crank handle you would part company with, mine is snapped off at the pivot point where the handle fits to it.

Failing that, can you drill another hole through it and stick a crude bolt through it as a handle or something? Or you could probably find a crank handle off something else like a hill hoist (clothesline) or something :P

david@bigeleisenlaw.com
4-Sep-2016, 17:03
I have a majestic head. I did the things recommended to take care of front to back free play and side to side free play. Front to back and side to side are fine now. But I have a tiny bit of free play as I rotate the top from right to left and left to right.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

David

Scott Davis
12-Jul-2021, 12:50
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but... anyone have any ideas where I could get a different size top plate for a Majestic head? I've got a head with the 4x5"-ish top plate, but I'd like to get one of the 7x7 inch ones for use with my 14x17. I don't want to buy another entire head or even head plus tripod just to get a top plate.

Michael Kadillak
12-Jul-2021, 13:38
There are really only two viable options for you to consider and I assume you exhausted the initial one of trying to find a replacement head. Majestic heads were all over the place for some time and for some reason they have dried up. It happens. The only option I could suggest is to just have one made for you. Four bolts hold it on the head from below. That way you get the size you want and a 3/8" screw for your 14x17 camera. If you want an original base plate here is what I would suggest. I needed a 3/8" spring loaded screw for my 6x6" base plate to support my 32# Deardorff Marine V11 camera. Could not find one anywhere. I ended up speaking to the owner of the company that manufactured the head (Bencher) in Chicago I believe and he ended up sending me the technical drawings so I could pass them on to a machinist friend who set me up a 3/8" make up assembly like new. Most importantly I learned from the owner that there are actually TWO set screws in the spring loaded make up assembly from the manufacturer. My machinist was most appreciative of that information. I still have the technical drawing. Good Luck!

John Earley
20-Jul-2021, 08:26
....I ended up speaking to the owner of the company that manufactured the head (Bencher) in Chicago I believe and he ended up sending me the technical drawings so I could pass them on to a machinist friend who set me up a 3/8" make up assembly like new. Most importantly I learned from the owner that there are actually TWO set screws in the spring loaded make up assembly from the manufacturer. My machinist was most appreciative of that information. I still have the technical drawing. Good Luck!

Michael, would it be possible for you to send me a copy of the technical drawings for the spring loaded 3/8" screw as I would like to machine one for one of my tripods.

Michael Kadillak
20-Jul-2021, 08:31

I will post it for everyone's consumption concurrently.

John Earley
20-Jul-2021, 18:40
Thanks Michael

Michael Kadillak
20-Jul-2021, 19:29
My pleasure.

Remember if you provide these drawings to a machinist to disassemble your screw assembly and install the 3/8" screw he will make for you - remind him:

There are actually TWO set screws in the spring loaded make up assembly from the manufacturer. One inside the other. My machinist was most appreciative of that information.

MrFujicaman
20-Jul-2021, 20:13
Apologies for reviving an old thread, but... anyone have any ideas where I could get a different size top plate for a Majestic head? I've got a head with the 4x5"-ish top plate, but I'd like to get one of the 7x7 inch ones for use with my 14x17. I don't want to buy another entire head or even head plus tripod just to get a top plate.

I was browsing thru Craigslist for Las Vegas and found this guy: Nik Colyer 530-265-3566, nik @ Nikcolyer.com. He's got a bunch of glowing referalls on his add-with listed #'s! Look under "skilled trades" in services. NOTICE: I don't know Mr. Colyer and I've never used him. However, I know how hard it is to find a machinist that will work with you !

Scott Davis
26-Jul-2021, 06:49
I ended up finding a second Majestic head with the bigger platform for 2/3 the price of the first one, so I added it to my arsenal. Now I need to get an adapter post so I can use it on regular tripods! But that should be easy for any machinist to make.

Lachlan 717
26-Jul-2021, 12:36
I ended up finding a second Majestic head with the bigger platform for 2/3 the price of the first one, so I added it to my arsenal. Now I need to get an adapter post so I can use it on regular tripods! But that should be easy for any machinist to make.

See post #32.