PDA

View Full Version : Majestic 1905 Gearhead Repair?

Bruce Douglas
17-Apr-2012, 08:03
I just purchased a used Majestic 1905 gearhead. The worm gear driven tilt works. The side to side tilt is frozen. The original tightening knob was replaced with a bolt. I removed the bolt but the head still won't tilt side to side.

Has anyone successfully repaired this problem before?
Is this portion of the head easy to disassemble, clean, lubricate and reassemble?

Thank you!

Tony Karnezis
17-Apr-2012, 13:57
I would call Bencher directly. I just spoke with Jere, one of the owners, about a head repair. He will tell you if the repair is worth doing. He also provided me a pdf of the parts so I could see the internals of the head.

Bruce Douglas
19-Apr-2012, 07:27
I contacted Bencher and they e-mailed me a parts list and drawing of the gearhead. I was able to partially disassemble it and free up the side to side tilt. A little fresh grease and working the parts did the trick.

Jere and Joan at Bencher are very helpful. I phoned them and Jere e-mailed a parts diagram and list, it was very helpful. I already bought the 1-7/8" post to 3/8" thread adapter for the gearhead from them and the part was at my doorstep in less than a week! I will likely be buying some more parts from them. Jere mentioned that they will completely rebuild their gearheads for ~$150 and offered to give me a no cost estimate if I could send them the gearhead for evaluation.