PDA

View Full Version : KBCanham 6X17 rollfilm back compatibility with other cameras?

John W. Randall
10-Jan-2004, 11:02
Its been about a year since KB Canham introduced the 6X17 rollfilm back for his 5X7 camera. Like many others who would like to shoot in that format, I had been hoping compatibility data would slowly evolve regarding what other 5X7 cameras this back would fit. But there is a dearth of reliable information, and what little new tidbits do crop up are often insufficient to provide for an informed decision that would lead me to start putting this back into use.

The questions remain: Do any existing new or used 5X7 cameras work with this back? Has anyone successfully modified an existing 5X7 camera to comply with form, fit, and fuction requirements for this back?

In my own (very narrow) situation, I am considering a modification on a 5X7 format- changing kit (specifically to the rear carrier) on My Sinar P-2 that would allow this to occur. But we're getting into a chicken-and-egg situation here. Buy the back, and the format-changing kit, then hope the back can be modified? Or just throw in the towel, buy a new 5X7 from Keith, along with the new back, and take it from there?

I made initial contact with SK Grimes regarding this conversion/modification, but the response was awfully incomplete, so I thought I'd try this forum.

Thank you.

Best regards,

Michael Kadillak
10-Jan-2004, 12:04
Here is how I see it. I made the calculations and if you are going to put roughly 107 rolls of 120 film (4 shots per roll) through the roll film back in a fairly reasonable period of time, you can justify the purchase price of the roll film back over just shooting 5x7 film and utilizing just the 617 proportions. Now you need to ask how difficult it will be to get it into operation. When you are talking about customized work to get it on a camera (or drop $2,500 for the Canham metal 5x7 camera or the less expensive alternative - Shen Hao?), I would not be surprised if getting the camera is the less expensive alternative. The bottom line is that the costs to make it work for you can quickly become prohibitive to go that direction.

I have a 5x7 metal Canham and found that I could not justify the cost for the 617 back because I do not shoot enough of this panoramic format to go that direction. Plus, I decided that having to focus the ground glass and then continuously have to swap out the backs to the roll film option was a hassle for me. Others may think differently. Just my $0.02.

Cheers

John W. Randall
10-Jan-2004, 17:05
Good points, Michael. I have also been thinking along these lines. My biggest concern, and the one that returns me to the quest, is the more extensive availibility of 120 transparency film versus the limited continued production of 5X7 color transparency film. I know that niche dealers still sell 5X7 B+W stocks. The complication of a dwindling film supply drives the question, as much as the wish to keep it simple. The Sinar 5X7 format-changing kit is sometimes available for a little over $1200.00. The 6X17 back goes for $1100.00. Thus, assuming the modification on the carrier frame of the P-2 is possible, the remaining question is the cost of the modification. If the total cost is under, say, $3500.00, then I'm 'ahead'.

Note that questions of increased weight of the total system are being ignored here - you probably are already aware of my opinions on this sometimes controversial topic - and a good subject for another thread.

Best regards,

Michael Kadillak
10-Jan-2004, 17:45
I have been a 5x7 shooter for some time since I got a 5x7 back on my 8x10 camera and I am pleased to be able to comment that IMHO the availability of color slide film even in 5x7 has never been more better. Not that long ago the only choice was expensive 5x7 Velvia from Badger and many were telling me that I better get the 4x5 back for my Canham metal 5x7 if I wanted to shoot color simply because that would be the only option available to me. However, the recent resurgance of the 5x7 format is vibrant to say the least and the film offerings are clearly following this trend. A recent View Camera article by Kerry Thalman on the current 5x7 camera offerings articulated this point like a heavy forged hammer driving a 6 penny nail.Even Kodak is currently offering 5x7 Ektachrome as can be seen by going online to B&H or other wholesellers. The larger quantity (50 sheet boxes) are great deals relatively speaking. From my point of view and with some excess capacity in the freezer, I can purchase a whole lot of 5x7 color slide film for the price of the roll film attachment and the adapting expenses. For me, roll film and my Fuji 6x9 meld well together when portability and visual exploration are the mode of operation. The few truly panaromic images I feel a need to capture can be effectively accomplished by giving my 5x7 and 8x10 transparencies the equivelant of a visual haircut.

Cheers!

Andre Noble
10-Jan-2004, 23:13
6x17 ratio is nice theorhetically, but it is too esoteric in reality - just look at the proportion of photos of resulting prints in the ads for the back. Something looks "not right" with them. Better to use a 6x12 back in 4x5.

Donald Hutton
13-Jan-2004, 22:05
C'mon Andre - you're letting your lack of vision interfere with a lack of perspective here. 6X17 implies seeing a whole different perspective. I shoot a range of panoramic formats and 6X17 is a very interesting proportion to compose. I would suggest that you explore further afield than promotional literature if you want to get a good indication of the potential of 6X17...

Christopher Condit
16-Jan-2004, 01:11
To answer the actual question, besides Canham, the 5x7's from Osaka (available from www.bromwellmarketing.com) and Walker (www.walkercameras.com -- no info on website, email Mike directly and he will reply promptly, has he has to me) both accept the Canham 6x17 back directly.

Mike Walker told me his new 5x7 is basically designed around this rollfilm back. It is ultrawide, and light, and I believe has no rear movements.

I have a Walker 4x5 which I love; I'm sure the 5x7 is equally well made and bomb proof.

Personally I find 6x17 a limiting format, to say the least. 6x12 I can imagine using, occasionally (see Horseman and Sinar rollfilm backs).

Gerhard
8-Sep-2004, 06:25
I am selling a Sinar P2 format adaption set for 5x7 inch, never used, like new condition for 350,-- EUR (about 430$). Please send me a mail, if you are interested gschl@gmx.de