PDA

View Full Version : Deardorff Has Landed!!! The First New Production V11

Fragomeni
13-Apr-2012, 19:50
Hi all,

I know a lot of you have been waiting for this specific update as well as general updates on the new production run of cameras from the recently revived L.F. Deardorff & Sons. This morning I took delivery of the very first Deardorff V11 of the new production run (serial 11001). It has been a long wait but the reward is completely worth it. This camera is astoundingly beautiful and completely true to the Deardorff legacy in every way. Barry Cochran, Monica, and Chuck Nelms have done an exceptional job of meticulously crafting a camera that would make L.F. Deardorff proud.

Maybe I'm being dramatic but I think today is a day to celebrate. Today is a milestone day for one of the most historically significant and trusted names in all of photographic and camera history. The delivery of this camera also marks a major event in the continuation of large format and analog photography in this digital world.

I am in the process of writing a post for my website which will include information on the camera and more images so stay tuned and I'll post the link here when it's ready.

Pawlowski6132
13-Apr-2012, 19:57
So...you're happy with your purchase?

Fragomeni
13-Apr-2012, 20:06
Haha, at the moment I'm beyond happy with my purchase. I'm trying to stay grounded by reminding myself that I'm in the honeymoon period so I'll be using and carefully analyzing how the camera performs so that I can get a real gauge on it. So far I've compared it to my vintage V8 and other V8's I've used and I'll also be comparing it to a vintage V11 and a vintage 12x20 Deardorff soon. So far it is L.F. Deardorff quality down to the grain of the wood and the finish and metal work is gorgeous.

Oren Grad
13-Apr-2012, 20:08
Congratulations - may it serve you well!

Fragomeni
13-Apr-2012, 20:38
Oren, thank you!

dsim
13-Apr-2012, 20:51
Congrats.........:)

darr
13-Apr-2012, 20:53
Sure is pretty!

John Kasaian
13-Apr-2012, 21:43
Congratulations! What a treasure!

Alan Gales
13-Apr-2012, 22:29
Wow, a brand new V11! I would be proud of it too.

Fragomeni
13-Apr-2012, 22:39
Thanks everyone. I'm just really excited to finally have this in my hands and I'm excited to let those who have cameras on order know that production is smooth and while the wait may be long it will be worth it. After all that is why those of us who purchased cameras from the new run wanted to invest in the new Deardorff. We believe in it. This camera will accompany me across the country and not only will it be my closest companion in my art but it will be a tool that I will educate people with. It really is a special privilege :)

buggz
14-Apr-2012, 05:17
Will they be producing other models/sizes?

Allen in Montreal
14-Apr-2012, 05:35
Congrats,
she looks like a beauty!

cosmicexplosion
14-Apr-2012, 05:59
So...you're happy with your purchase?

funny... very funny

karl french
14-Apr-2012, 07:47
Wonderful!

E. von Hoegh
14-Apr-2012, 07:51
Hi all,

I know a lot of you have been waiting for this specific update as well as general updates on the new production run of cameras from the recently revived L.F. Deardorff & Sons. This morning I took delivery of the very first Deardorff V11 of the new production run (serial 11001). It has been a long wait but the reward is completely worth it. This camera is astoundingly beautiful and completely true to the Deardorff legacy in every way. Barry Cochran, Monica, and Chuck Nelms have done an exceptional job of meticulously crafting a camera that would make L.F. Deardorff proud.

Maybe I'm being dramatic but I think today is a day to celebrate. Today is a milestone day for one of the most historically significant and trusted names in all of photographic and camera history. The delivery of this camera also marks a major event in the continuation of large format and analog photography in this digital world.

I am in the process of writing a post for my website which will include information on the camera and more images so stay tuned and I'll post the link here when it's ready.

That's pretty.
Can you still get film for it?

David A. Goldfarb
14-Apr-2012, 08:05
Beautiful. Good choice of tripod and head as well--similar to what I use.

TheDeardorffGuy
14-Apr-2012, 09:53
Start working out! They are heavy.

cdholden
14-Apr-2012, 10:05
Hell yeah.
Congratulations to you on your new purchase.
Congratulations to Barry and Monica in their continued success.

Fragomeni
14-Apr-2012, 10:53
Will they be producing other models/sizes?
Yes, they are in full production as we speak. New cameras are available in 4x5 Special (with 4x5 or 5x7 back), 8x10 V8, 11x14 V11, and 12x20 V12. Barry and I have also spoken at length about some very exciting new products that are in development including picking up where Deardorff left off with a new specialty model. Here is the page (http://www.deardorffcameras.com/products-page/) with currently available cameras and prices.

That's pretty.
Can you still get film for it?
Of course you can. You can get 11x14 readily in Ilford HP5 and Efke and others are available as special order.

Beautiful. Good choice of tripod and head as well--similar to what I use.
I've considered a Ries as well and that thought has been encouraged by a few people. However the Gitzo 320 its on is rated for more weight then the Ries and the Arca Swiss Monoball Z2 head its own is a beast and the most controllable ball head I've ever seen. In the end it'll come down to what is best in use for me.

Start working out! They are heavy.
Haha, yep! Its still very manageable but a significant difference from the V8. Compared to my 200lb 20x24 the V11 is a breeze :)

Thank you to everyone for the congratulations and encouragement and a huge congratulations to L.F. Deardorff!

E. von Hoegh
14-Apr-2012, 11:15
Fragomeni, my remark was tongue-in-cheek. It's what I often hear when I take my V8 out in public.

David A. Goldfarb
14-Apr-2012, 12:21
I've considered a Ries as well and that thought has been encouraged by a few people. However the Gitzo 320 its on is rated for more weight then the Ries and the Arca Swiss Monoball Z2 head its own is a beast and the most controllable ball head I've ever seen. In the end it'll come down to what is best in use for me.

Glad to hear the Z2 finally exists. It seems it was on the drawing board for so long, I stopped checking to see if was available yet. I'm using a B2 on a Gitzo GT5540LS legset.

Fragomeni
14-Apr-2012, 16:55
Fragomeni, my remark was tongue-in-cheek. It's what I often hear when I take my V8 out in public.
Haha, oh sorry! I wish there was a tongue-in-cheek emoticon! I think I got that question at least once every time I've ever taken my V8 out haha.

Glad to hear the Z2 finally exists. It seems it was on the drawing board for so long, I stopped checking to see if was available yet. I'm using a B2 on a Gitzo GT5540LS legset.
I think my other is the B2 which is a great head. I don't think the Z2 is available anymore. I think it was only available for a short while.

bvaughn4
14-Apr-2012, 20:47
Congratulation! May you have many wonderful experiences and photographs with it!

unixrevolution
16-Apr-2012, 07:05
If I had a dime for every time I was asked if I can still get film for a particular camera, I'd be swimming in Tri-X.

Beautiful camera! Im happy to see the Deardorff name off the roll call of dead makers. Made in Tennessee, I take it, rather than Chicago?

IHS
16-Apr-2012, 07:12
I am so torn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fragomeni
16-Apr-2012, 09:54
I am so torn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Do tell...

Roger Cole
16-Apr-2012, 10:50
If I had a dime for every time I was asked if I can still get film for a particular camera, I'd be swimming in Tri-X.

Beautiful camera! Im happy to see the Deardorff name off the roll call of dead makers. Made in Tennessee, I take it, rather than Chicago?

Oddly enough, shooting with a Technika III and a Yashicamat 124, I have NEVER been asked if I COULD still get film or if it was still made. They assume if I'm shooting with it then it is and I can. (I'm tempted to add a "duh" comment.) I am often asked WHERE I get it, and where I get it processed. ("There are camera stores that still carry it but it's most convenient for me to order it online. I do all my own black and white processing. Color I currently mail to a place in Kansas though I may get back into doing that myself too" is my usual inclusive answer.)

E. von Hoegh
16-Apr-2012, 13:18
Oddly enough, shooting with a Technika III and a Yashicamat 124, I have NEVER been asked if I COULD still get film or if it was still made. They assume if I'm shooting with it then it is and I can. (I'm tempted to add a "duh" comment.) I am often asked WHERE I get it, and where I get it processed. ("There are camera stores that still carry it but it's most convenient for me to order it online. I do all my own black and white processing. Color I currently mail to a place in Kansas though I may get back into doing that myself too" is my usual inclusive answer.)

You're lucky. I get it with any of my cameras, 8x10, 4x5, Rollei, even the Nikon 35s. I once told a digitographer that a big solar event would blow all the electrons away, leaving only film cameras able to function.

IHS
16-Apr-2012, 13:27
Do tell...

Haha I actually decided, and I'm going with the Arca, I love the Dorff, but I want it in 8x10 not 4x5. So Arca seems like the best option, and Dorff in a few years!

Fragomeni
16-Apr-2012, 13:39
Haha I actually decided, and I'm going with the Arca, I love the Dorff, but I want it in 8x10 not 4x5. So Arca seems like the best option, and Dorff in a few years!
Ian, is that you?

IHS
16-Apr-2012, 14:34
Ian, is that you?
Yes it is

IHS
16-Apr-2012, 14:34
Ian, is that you?

IHS
16-Apr-2012, 14:35
haha, yes it is

Fragomeni
16-Apr-2012, 14:40
Haha! I got confused for a second and then i recognized your initials! I think for your specific requirements you've made a solid choice that I think you'll be very happy with! :)

Roger Cole
16-Apr-2012, 15:38
You're lucky. I get it with any of my cameras, 8x10, 4x5, Rollei, even the Nikon 35s. I once told a digitographer that a big solar event would blow all the electrons away, leaving only film cameras able to function.

I also shoot with 35mm and a Mamiya 645 Pro but left those out since most people seem to know 35mm film is available, and I haven't had the 645 that long. The Linhof and the Yashicamat are the ones that look old enough (and are - well the Yashica is probably late 60s/early 70s, a non-G chrome model) to be antiques. I guess they just assume it's available if I'm using them, and proceed direct to asking where I get film.

I also never got the "is that a Hasselblad?" question until I got the Mamiya and then my next door neighbor saw me with it and asked. But he used to be a pro photographer and studied photography in school, got a different job when the economy soured but still does pro (digital) on the side, and only saw it from a distance. He knew it was a medium format SLR so I suppose he can be forgiven.

Fragomeni
16-Apr-2012, 16:18
I've actually had a few occasions where people have asked me if my 8x10 was a Hasselblad.... *shakes head

unixrevolution
17-Apr-2012, 09:23
I also never got the "is that a Hasselblad?" question until I got the Mamiya and then my next door neighbor saw me with it and asked. But he used to be a pro photographer and studied photography in school, got a different job when the economy soured but still does pro (digital) on the side, and only saw it from a distance. He knew it was a medium format SLR so I suppose he can be forgiven.

I can get behind that. Honestly, a Mamiya 645 looks as different from a 6x6 Hasselblad as a new Hasselblad does.

Fragomeni
19-Apr-2012, 23:56
Correction. The head I'm using is the Arca Swiss Monoball B2 I believe. I don't think its the Z2 and I'm not really even sure what the differences are.

David A. Goldfarb
21-Apr-2012, 07:16
For the record, I think that's a B2 as well.

B&H does show the Z2 listed now at http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/367752-REG/Arca_Swiss_8010017_Monoball_Z2_3_Way_Ballhead.html

The only difference seems to be that the Z2 has the option of a flip-lock clamp instead of a screw clamp, and I prefer a screw clamp, because flip-lock clamps don't seem to clamp with all Arca-Swiss type plates. On the other hand, Badger Graphic also shows the option of a screw clamp, so unless there are internal differences, the Z2 looks pretty much like a B2.

Fragomeni
21-Apr-2012, 08:26
Yep, I confirmed that mine is the B2. I saw the B&H ad as well and the only difference I could see was the flip-lock clamp as well. I've also tried comparing the specs and it looks the same. The differences are lost on me.

mougin
24-Jun-2012, 05:02
My experience with Barry Cochran production. I have received the 5x7 camera limited edition 2011 n°3
The reception letter to Barry

I have received Wednesday the camera with 5 days of delai and not two days. I remind you that I have paid for an express sending 2 days and you have sent it by economy and then you have saved money. You promised me to refund me via Paypal for the différence but no refund. As usual you do not keep your promise.

To summarize

6 months of delay
mails without answers

I have ordered 3 lesnsboard, 1 with Copal3 and 2 with copal 1. You hane send me 3 undrilled lensboards. Perhaps do you thinsk that I am a menuisier.

I asked you to declare as value the amount of the last paypal invoice. Customs can ask me for a proof of payment. I have no proof for the value which you declared. Fortunately customs asked me for no proof of payment.

Finaly the camera is arrived Wednesdays with 4 days delay. It is very nice and it is like a true Deardorff. But when open it that is not the same and pratically unusable. The focusing mouvement befor

On the other hand opened time we discover that it is almost impossible to put on her(it). The focusing movement is so hard that it hurt the fingers. The same thing for the back movment.

You will be advise to you inspire from the Ebony cameras and from their mechanical sweetness.

Really you would have try the camera before before to send it.

Thus I have spent a day to dismount the camera and to make your work of adjustment. With some sandpaper, I have rectified the before and back wood frames and adapt them so that hit slides normally with sweetness. Yet the camera is yet good working.

The back back 4x5 is very hard and it is difficult to introduce a filmholder in! The 5x7 back is good. It remains that bellows seems to me made of curious one plastic, Chinese I suppose. They are not vry nice however they are very stiff.

All this makes that your work and that your business connections are very rough, not at all in the tradition of the made in American which was the one of Deardorff.

Will you please refund me the fedex différence price.

That to make undrilled lensboard.

Very happy that this lons story is ended.

And good luck for your business.

Regards

mougin

hmf
8-Nov-2012, 12:54
So, I'm just curious whether others have purchased new Deardorff's in the last few months. If so, what are your experiences regarding quality and delivery time?

Cletus
8-Nov-2012, 13:30
There's a whole thread around here somewhere addressing that very question. It was started by mougin and features the letter he wrote to Deardorff above. I have no skin in it either way, but evidently others have had some difficulties with overlong wait times and a paucity of communication from D.-

hmf
8-Nov-2012, 18:46
There's a whole thread around here somewhere addressing that very question. It was started by mougin and features the letter he wrote to Deardorff above. I have no skin in it either way, but evidently others have had some difficulties with overlong wait times and a paucity of communication from D.-

I read mouglin's thread enumerating the problems and another from someone who was thrilled with his 11x14. That's still a small sample size and so wondered if there was anyone else out there with any experience.

Dave Wooten
8-Nov-2012, 20:21
Nice!

Drew Bedo
9-Nov-2012, 06:05
Congratulations! Thanks for sharing your joy.