PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 045N-2 opinions needed...

Carterofmars
11-Apr-2012, 19:35
I'm looking for comments/observations from owners of the Chamonix 045N-2. Is there better at that price point?

Thanks in advance.

Harley Goldman
11-Apr-2012, 20:05
I own the original version. I don't think there is better at twice the price point. IMHO. I think it is a stellar camera.

36cm2
11-Apr-2012, 20:45
I own the original version. I don't think there is better at twice the price point. IMHO. I think it is a stellar camera.

I own the n2 and totally agree with Harley.

36cm2
11-Apr-2012, 20:54
Holy cow, Harley. Awesome work on your site. I'm suffering from some serious print envy.

Best regards,
Leo

alexn
11-Apr-2012, 21:12
I have a friend who has one and it is a beautiful piece of gear.. As nice a camera as I have seen..

I would say its the camera I will be buying to replace my monorail (that is, once my point and shoot 4x5 is finished)

Preston
11-Apr-2012, 21:56
I bought a N-2 in December. It is a wonderful camera and worth every penny...and then some. It is beautifully constructed, works smoothly, and is very rigid. My only nit, and a minor one, is that front rise/fall and tilt do not have separate locks. Also, the extension board is a worthwhile investment if you do close-up work, or want to use a 450mm lens.

The Chamonix is a very capable and beautiful instrument for field use.

--P

sully75
12-Apr-2012, 02:05
Beautiful camera. I really love it.

Carterofmars
12-Apr-2012, 03:27
Thanks for all the input thus far, really appreciate it. This camera sounds as good as it looks it seems.

So nothing out there at that price point worth considering against the 045N-2?

Carterofmars
12-Apr-2012, 03:33
Holy cow, Harley. Awesome work on your site. I'm suffering from some serious print envy.

Best regards,
Leo

I have to second this sentiment very strongly. Harley's work left me a bit speechless. Your Rocky mountain series is amazing.

Harley, if I may ask, which of those images were made with the Chamonix, if any? And what lens was used?

PS- Great looking canine companion there also. I recognized him from a post in another tread here titled "post a pic with your camera", I think it was.

Roger Cole
12-Apr-2012, 04:10
Thanks for all the input thus far, really appreciate it. This camera sounds as good as it looks it seems.

So nothing out there at that price point worth considering against the 045N-2?

I've been wondering about this myself. The Shen-Hao is, by the time you get the fresnel, in the same price range. Also in the same price range is the Tachihara. I like the looks of the Tachihara and it's well known and respected, but I like the interchangeable bellows on the Chamonix (and the Shen-Hao for that matter.)

Carterofmars
12-Apr-2012, 05:43
I've been wondering about this myself. The Shen-Hao is, by the time you get the fresnel, in the same price range. Also in the same price range is the Tachihara. I like the looks of the Tachihara and it's well known and respected, but I like the interchangeable bellows on the Chamonix (and the Shen-Hao for that matter.)

This looks like a nice one: http://ladewigs.com/Gallery/v/Mel_family/etc/RRR_20080328_04.jpg.html

vinny
12-Apr-2012, 05:49
Used maybe. New, no.

Carterofmars
12-Apr-2012, 06:33
Used maybe. New, no.

Over priced in your opinion?

Harley Goldman
12-Apr-2012, 07:30
Leo and Carter, thanks very much for the kind words about my work. Much appreciated!!

Jehu
12-Apr-2012, 09:14
I've been using mine for about a year now. It's the replacement that the insurance company provided after my monorail outfit was stolen. The only disadvantage so far has been the couple of times that I've maxed out the rear swing before I got what I wanted on some architecture shots. The camera is light, convenient and reliable. I use a 240mm Sironar-S and a 90mm/f6.8 Super Angulon. It sports both lenses well. I can't attest to shorter lenses on the 45N2 because I haven't been able to afford one yet. In my opinion, it's the best bang for the buck in 4x5.

36cm2
12-Apr-2012, 10:38
I like the looks of the Tachihara and it's well known and respected, but I like the interchangeable bellows on the Chamonix (and the Shen-Hao for that matter.)

I owned the Tachihara before the N-2 and I prefer the Chamonix. In my very personal opinion, the Chamonix feels and looks better built, feels a bit more solid and has a smoother and more precise focusing mechanism. I was probably a little faster with the Tachihara since set up and focusing felt more intuitive to me on it. But then speed has never been my purpose with 4x5.

Given all these points, keep in mind that I really like the Tachihara.

All the best,
Leo

vinny
12-Apr-2012, 15:44
No, nothing except used cameras are close in this price range. Hard to find a light, sturdy camera with accessories that can handle my 65mm and 450mm. If I ever switch my wehman 8x10 out, I'll get another chamonix just because I enjoy using the chamonix more.

GSX4
12-Apr-2012, 16:17
Vinny, i am loving the mk 1 version i have....superb machine

Roger Cole
12-Apr-2012, 17:36
I owned the Tachihara before the N-2 and I prefer the Chamonix. In my very personal opinion, the Chamonix feels and looks better built, feels a bit more solid and has a smoother and more precise focusing mechanism. I was probably a little faster with the Tachihara since set up and focusing felt more intuitive to me on it. But then speed has never been my purpose with 4x5.

Given all these points, keep in mind that I really like the Tachihara.

All the best,
Leo

Thanks Leo, that's very helpful. Even in the pre-digital days I shot LF in an area where I had to drive a bit just to find 35mm film in anything but consumer C41, and now even though I live in a major metro area most of this stuff I will never see in person until I buy it.

What's the current wait list time for a Chamonix 45N-2? I thought I might be in a hurry after stripping the tripod thread on my Tech III but that turned out to be an easy fix with a part (I'd only stripped a 1/4-20 insert in the 3/8s hole - I think so anyway) on the way. So I can continue using my Tech III for a while but I definitely need another camera.

chuck94022
13-Apr-2012, 23:21
What's the current wait list time for a Chamonix 45N-2?

I would contact Hugo immediately. They are manufacturing this month (I know because I'm on the waiting list). Hugo said mine would be ready at the end of this month. Perhaps you can get on now. They only manufacture a couple of times a year as I understand it.

lbenac
14-Apr-2012, 08:14

I am with Harley. Besides somebody taking pictures in Jasper cannot be wrong :-)

Cheers,

Luc

Carterofmars
14-Apr-2012, 10:09
I am on the list also. Teak with black metal.
I can't wait. It's really a beautiful camera.

ShaunQ
16-Apr-2012, 06:06
I've had a 45-n2 for a few months now, beautiully made, has a great mix of classic and modern and the detailing on the teak and the way they've shown the grain of the wood shows their high level of craft.

My only gripe is the built in levels on the camera are really "stiff" or slow like the oil in the levels is to thick, which makes them move really really slowly when you are trying to make small or large adjustments. Maybe these will improve over time I'm not sure? Otherwise I everything else including the price is amazing about the n2.

vinny
16-Apr-2012, 06:45
I brought that up to Chamonix (Hugo) when requesting replacements for two levels which had dried up on my 45n-1. Slow as MOLE ASSES. They are aware of the issue. I attached a small bubble level to the top of the rear standard since I can't get all the levels to match up and I don't trust them after using the 45n-1.

I've had a 45-n2 for a few months now, beautiully made, has a great mix of classic and modern and the detailing on the teak and the way they've shown the grain of the wood shows their high level of craft.

My only gripe is the built in levels on the camera are really "stiff" or slow like the oil in the levels is to thick, which makes them move really really slowly when you are trying to make small or large adjustments. Maybe these will improve over time I'm not sure? Otherwise I everything else including the price is amazing about the n2.

ShaunQ
16-Apr-2012, 07:19
Thanks for the info Vinny, glad? to know it isn't just me with the issue and it definately does need a fix as its a big part of composing images and using the camera. I find the levels on my camera to be accurate just not fun to work with.

Carterofmars
16-Apr-2012, 08:02
Hopefully this problem will be corrected in this next batch.

Kodachrome25
2-May-2012, 20:40
I just wrote Hugo, I am going to order one, it is essentially perfect for what I do. I'll get the base extension and folding hood. Any idea when the next run is?

Kodachrome25
2-May-2012, 20:41
I am on the list also. Teak with black metal.
I can't wait. It's really a beautiful camera.

Do they offer the gun metal gray anymore? I would prefer that...

Preston
2-May-2012, 21:26
K25,

It's tough to say if they still offer the gunmetal grey. I ordered my N-2 in December of 2011. It is teak and gunmetal grey. You should write Hugo and ask him directly.

--P

chuck94022
3-May-2012, 03:10
I just received my Chamonix 045N-2 yesterday. The bubble levels work just fine, all are accurate (left and right back ones are close enough in agreement to be perfectly useable, only about a hair width (literally) of difference in bubble position between them). The bubbles are not slow in the least. I'm a happy camper all around. Mine is Maple and gray metal, so yes, you can still get it in that color.

Carterofmars
3-May-2012, 03:26
I have to second that. The levels are working perfectly on mine. I just received it yesterday. Really a fine instrument; well engineered and a bargain at the price in my opinion. If looks and feels like something that should cost quite a bit more. Teak and black metal.

Rolfe Tessem
3-May-2012, 04:42
I just got mine yesterday as well and have to add to the feelings already expressed. It is really an unbelievable value for the price. FWIW, I ordered mine in gray as well and like the way it looks. Levels work just fine on mine as well.

rknewcomb
3-May-2012, 05:10
Got mine yesterday, teak and gunmetal gray. WOW!! What a great little camera.

Rolfe Tessem
3-May-2012, 09:23
Took me a bit to figure out how to get the ground glass protector off, then another while to figure out how to reverse the back. :-).

To save anyone with a 045N-2 the task of looking up which Really Right Stuff plate to get for it, the correct one is B35. You will also need one 3/8" to 1/4" reducer as that plate has two 1/4" screws.

Carterofmars
3-May-2012, 18:45
A little manual would have been nice.