PDA

View Full Version : Anybody know what this is?

mccolalx
7-Apr-2012, 11:21
Seems to be some kind of contact printing frame or plate holder, but I'm not sure how it's used. Fancier than any I've ever seen...

mccolalx
7-Apr-2012, 11:22
last photos, showing the one marking on it

BrianShaw
7-Apr-2012, 11:33
I'd guess a plate holder.

What are the dimensions?

mccolalx
7-Apr-2012, 11:42
the glass in it is 11 3/4" x 9 3/4"

mccolalx
7-Apr-2012, 11:46
the darkslide is also hinged in 2 places, which i've never seen before in a holder

E. von Hoegh
7-Apr-2012, 11:50
the darkslide is also hinged in 2 places, which i've never seen before in a holder

I'm speculating, but that would allow it to hang down (in vertical orientation) rather than stick up or out as a wind vane.

BrianShaw
7-Apr-2012, 11:52
I have a bunch of smaller plate holders from British plate cameras that are hinged like that. Mine slide in/out and are two-sided so they don't have the cool-looking spring clamps like yours does.

E. von Hoegh
7-Apr-2012, 11:53
I wonder if it is a plateholder designed to double as a contact frame?

mccolalx
7-Apr-2012, 11:54
Thanks for the help...it's definitely the prettiest, most overengineered holder I've ever seen

BrianShaw
7-Apr-2012, 11:54
I suspect that would make a cool printing frame if you are into alt printing.

E. von Hoegh
7-Apr-2012, 11:55
Thanks for the help...it's definitely the prettiest, most overengineered holder I've ever seen

You're welcome. But we're just getting started..... full moon and all that.

BrianShaw
7-Apr-2012, 11:57
I'm engrossed in solemn mediation and prayer during this full moon. Please carry on without me. ;)

cdholden
7-Apr-2012, 16:20
I wonder if it is a plateholder designed to double as a contact frame?

Agreed.
When I first saw the photos of the back, I thought it was a contact printing frame. The darkslide on the front tells me it's a plate holder. I would be curious to know if closer, detailed photos would yield any marks hinting to source of manufacturer or dealer.
Maybe it was a modified plate holder? Note the lack of consistency in metals. Brass on the front, with nickel or chrome plated trim and springs on the back.

emh
7-Apr-2012, 16:58
Is it possible that it's a "portable" contact frame? It could be loaded in the darkroom, and transported for exposure? Or, a system to load at night, and expose to the sun in the day? I never heard of this sort of frame, but it looks as if it could be used that way.

mccolalx
7-Apr-2012, 17:07
It has what looks like a Chinese character next to the ivory dot with what appears to be a "1" on it.
On the end, there's a number 3, and a number 21 under the dark slide.

Erik Larsen
7-Apr-2012, 17:17
I had something very similar to this, only about twice as large that was part of a process-repro camera setup. I could not figure out if the glass plate was to attach film to or if an emulsion was coated on the glass? There has to be some old process camera operator around here who can tell us what it is.
Regards
Erik

mccolalx
7-Apr-2012, 17:24
I got it with an enlarging camera