PDA

View Full Version : Suggested ICC Profile for Strathmore Watercolour Paper

Bruce Pollock
1-Apr-2012, 20:02
This may be an odd request, but I have some Strathmore Greeting Card stock and would like to try printing images directly onto it and make some cards. I have an Epson 3880 and wondered what sort of ICC profile would approximate the paper. Basically, it's just a watercolour paper with no coating.

Has anyone tried this? What sort of ICC profile might I try?

Brian Ellis
2-Apr-2012, 07:36
I take it Strathmore doesn't offer a profile you can download? If that's the case I'd just try the Epson profiles until you find the one that works best. I'd probably start with one of the Fine Art choices, e.g. Velvet.

Harley Goldman
2-Apr-2012, 09:03
Bruce, try contacting Michael Gordon for a custom profile. He does them really inexpensive and they are excellent. I use them, as do many others around here.

http://www.michael-gordon.com/template.php?page=customRGBprofile

tgtaylor
2-Apr-2012, 09:26
Since I have MonaoEZcolor 2 and colorimeter, I would use the Monaco software to build a printer/scanner profile using that paper.

Thomas

Tyler Boley
2-Apr-2012, 13:53
since this paper was not made for inkjet, with the needed receptor coating, you will not find on line profiles I am sure. These kinds of papers are hard to print on and profile, and require testing to find possible media settings before profiling. Though there may be some other settings that work and put down a bit more ink, the safest bet is the plain paper setting. Whether or not an Epson supplied profile for that setting exists, and looks acceptable, making a profile over that or the alternate proven media setting is the path to optimal results. The look still will be muted compared to inkjet coated papers, but may be attractive. I've profiled for, and printed on, several uncoated fine art and Japanese papers, and the results can be lovely. Just takes a bit of work to get there...
Tyler

Bruce Pollock
2-Apr-2012, 17:41
The look still will be muted compared to inkjet coated papers, but may be attractive. I've profiled for, and printed on, several uncoated fine art and Japanese papers, and the results can be lovely. Just takes a bit of work to get there...
Tyler

Thanks, Tyler - I'm not necessarily looking for a perfect colour management solution here and would be happy with an impressionistic output. I'll try the plain paper setting as a starting point and see what happens.