PDA

View Full Version : Epson scan software

Barrie K
30-Mar-2012, 06:49
Hi , I know theres loads of posts on the V750 I have been going through them trying to find out what I wanted to know! :) As a beginneer to scanning I have found lots of useful info on the site but can someone help me with the target size box in the Epson scan software, is it best to ignore it or select a size? I don't always want to crop my scans to the same size and do use the same image in different sizes.

By the way sorry I'm scanning 5x4 B&W negs in the Epson holder

Settings thus far have been 16 bit greyscale, scanned at 2400dpi leaving the target size as original then saving as a tiff file and sharpening and cropping as required in photoshop and i have been quite happy with the results but if anyone has any insight to make them better i'm all ears.

Thanks Barrie

Tony Evans
30-Mar-2012, 07:47
You are doing as I do. Use Professional Mode. Scan @ 16 bit/2400dpi, target = original, but all sharpening & other modifications off. Don't forget to set the Histogram end-points & output range before scanning.

Harley Goldman
30-Mar-2012, 08:34
I do the same as well and I am happy with my results. From my research, it is a waste of time to scan above 2400 and the target size left as default yields me a very nice file.

Barrie K
30-Mar-2012, 08:46
Thanks for that, I hadn't been setting the histogram end points but I will in future, I have been sorting them in Photoshop with Curves. At least I know I'm on the right track:)

Cheers Barrie

IanG
30-Mar-2012, 08:59
Not sure of the Epson scanner software, in the UK my V750 came bundled with SilverFast and the results are superb, In normally scan at 2400 dpi however for some imges I make a second higher resolution scan.

Ian

Greg Lockrey
30-Mar-2012, 10:24
Thanks for that, I hadn't been setting the histogram end points but I will in future, I have been sorting them in Photoshop with Curves. At least I know I'm on the right track:)

Cheers Barrie
You really don't need to set the endpoints either, you can do that post processing in Photoshop or other program. I always make a test print from raw scan before I decide where to go. I would rather work from "more" than "less" of a histogram. I DO NOT depend on what I see on a screen vs what I see on the paper I will be using.

Barrie K
30-Mar-2012, 12:26
I do the same as well and I am happy with my results. From my research, it is a waste of time to scan above 2400 and the target size left as default yields me a very nice file.

I really enjoyed browsing your web site, may I ask if some of them are negs that have been scanned on an Epson scanner? Beautiful collection of images by the way you must be very proud.

Barrie K
30-Mar-2012, 12:29
Not sure of the Epson scanner software, in the UK my V750 came bundled with SilverFast and the results are superb, In normally scan at 2400 dpi however for some imges I make a second higher resolution scan.

Ian

Hi Ian I do have the silver fast, just not installed it yet, I did have it on my last pc but as I'm only scanning B&W I thought the Epson software would be enough.

Jon Shiu
30-Mar-2012, 12:41
You really don't need to set the endpoints either, you can do that post processing in Photoshop or other program. I always make a test print from raw scan before I decide where to go. I would rather work from "more" than "less" of a histogram. I DO NOT depend on what I see on a screen vs what I see on the paper I will be using.

Normally, the Epson pre-scan will automatically set the exposure and clip the black point/white point, so that is why people say to adjust the black and white points in the driver, ie move them out a bit to preserve data.

Jon

Greg Lockrey
30-Mar-2012, 17:05
Normally, the Epson pre-scan will automatically set the exposure and clip the black point/white point, so that is why people say to adjust the black and white points in the driver, ie move them out a bit to preserve data.

Jon

Maybe so... but I calibrated mine to a standard and normally have about 10 units on each side to play with. It's been so long since I set it up that I forgot it's significance. If the histogram hits the edge then do what Jon says.

David Brunell
31-Mar-2012, 06:49
Hi Ian I do have the silver fast, just not installed it yet, I did have it on my last pc but as I'm only scanning B&W I thought the Epson software would be enough.

Barrie K, before you get too comfortable with the epson software you should know that your scans will be much sharper with silverfast; at least that is what my experience has been...A little off subject but you should do a comparison none the less.

Harley Goldman
31-Mar-2012, 08:51
I really enjoyed browsing your web site, may I ask if some of them are negs that have been scanned on an Epson scanner? Beautiful collection of images by the way you must be very proud.

Thanks very much Barrie. I appreciate the comment. 95% of the work on my site was scanner with an Epson. Some with older versions, most with the 750. I regularly print 16x20 and I am happy with the results.

Barrie K
1-Apr-2012, 05:14
Barrie K, before you get too comfortable with the epson software you should know that your scans will be much sharper with silverfast; at least that is what my experience has been...A little off subject but you should do a comparison none the less.

Hi David, I will put the silver fast on at some point but I'm trying to get the hang of one program before I try and learn another, I just end up getting lost otherwise lol

Barrie K
1-Apr-2012, 05:17
Thanks very much Barrie. I appreciate the comment. 95% of the work on my site was scanner with an Epson. Some with older versions, most with the 750. I regularly print 16x20 and I am happy with the results.
You have given me something to aspire to, its great to see the quality that's achievable when you know what your doing.

Doug Fisher
1-Apr-2012, 08:44
>>you should know that your scans will be much sharper with silverfast<<

Keep in mind that this would be due to some sort of processing by the software versus the software being able to somehow make the hardware produce better true resolution.

Doug
---
www.BetterScanning.com