PDA

View Full Version : I'm huge in France!

austin granger
26-Mar-2012, 08:23
OK, I'm not really huge in France. But I did get interviewed by a French blog. Once there, you can scroll down for an English translation:
http://www.digitalcolorz.com/contemplations-point-reyes-avec-austin-granger

Frank Petronio
26-Mar-2012, 09:19
You and Jerry Lewis! Congrats!

bob carnie
26-Mar-2012, 09:20
Beat me to it.

You and Jerry Lewis! Congrats!

tgtaylor
26-Mar-2012, 09:47
Congratulations Austin!

BTW, that aircraft tire on the beach is from a 1947 or 1957 plane crash - a DC2 I believe. I ran across that tidbit somewhere a few months ago.

Thomas

Michael Graves
26-Mar-2012, 09:53
But are you as big as Weird Al?

Brian Bullen
26-Mar-2012, 11:16
No one is as big as Weird Al!!:)

Michael E
26-Mar-2012, 11:55
You are huge in France and you deserve it. I think your work is extraordinary, images and writing alike. I really enjoy it.

Good interview, too.

Best,

Michael

Robert Hall
26-Mar-2012, 13:01
Tres bien!

JoelBelmont
26-Mar-2012, 16:01
Nice article - Nice images too. Congrats!

austin granger
26-Mar-2012, 19:23
Thanks you guys. I appreciate your kindness.

Thomas, I know for sure that a DC-3 crashed off Point Reyes in 1938; I wrote some about it here: http://austingranger.com/elegy/text/chapter6
I hadn't heard about the later wreck, but I can't say I'm surprised; that stretch of coast is known for a very long list of disasters. In any case, it's amazing that that wheel has been sitting there all this time!

Thanks again,

Austin

Shailendra
26-Mar-2012, 20:43
Well done, Austin. Your work continues to inspire

Emmanuel BIGLER
27-Mar-2012, 01:32
Congratulations, Austin for your work.

Regarding your interview in French, as the saying goes "Nul n'est prophète en son pays" I do not know the equivalent in English ;)

There is an amusing point in the French text, at the beginning, the View Camera is evoked, and correctly defined in French as "une Chambre Grand Format"; but the authors of the article consider that they have to leave the original English "View Camera" as an explanation, as if French readers of this forum did not know what a Chambre Grand Format is !!

Is this surprinsing ? Not really for me, since my interest for the large format and view cameras came from a visit to California, and the "shock" of seeing an original print of Saint Ansel's "Monolith" in the small 'private' museum dedicated to Saint Ansel in San Francisco in the nineties of the last century.
So, it is likeley that readers of this French web site, surfing the photo-web all day round, virtually meet "view cameras" all the time, and do not even know the exact term in French !! ;)

Not kidding, "view camera" is perfectly ok as Chambre Grand Format. If you want to be more precise, you'll say: "une chambre monorail", if it's a monorail camera.
In Québec, people will say "Chambre de Campagne" for a field camera, a direct word-to-word translation.
I like very much the term "chambre de campagne", this evokes "pain de campagne", the big loaves of bread, country-style, "slow food", something authentic as our ancestors used to eat everyday, as opposed to the Parisian, modern and urban "baguette".
But "chambre de campagne" is seldom used by French-speaking large format photographers outside Québec.

All the best !

austin granger
27-Mar-2012, 06:51
Both "Une Chambre Grand Format" and "Chambre de Campagne" sound wonderful to me! Thank you for that.
-Austin