PDA

View Full Version : Tripod mount for a Sinar Norma

channelhugger
26-Mar-2012, 08:16
Hi All

This is my first posting despite being a member for quite some time.

I've recently purchased a Sinar Norma 4x5 in immaculate condition but so far have been unable to find a way of mounting it to my tripod. It's a Gitzo Systematic 3 series and I would prefer to use the Norma with my Manfrotto MN405 head which has been converted to take Arca style dovetail brackets. I also use an Arca Swiss Z1 but again this uses the Arca Swiss mount. The Norma mount thread is 3/8" and the circular diameter is almost 3" and so far I've not really found anything that looks suitable for the job.
Any suggestions gratefully received.

Joseph Dickerson
26-Mar-2012, 08:41
I use a Norma tripod block on my F1 due to the lower profile. I attached a Really Right Stuff lens plate. Works fine.

Give them a call 1-805-528-6321. I'm not sure which plate it is, I'd have to take it off the tripod block to get at the number, just give them the screw size and length of plate you need. RRS and AS should be compatible.

JD

channelhugger
26-Mar-2012, 08:49
Thanks for the quick response. All my RRS and Kirk plates have 1/4" bolts so do you use a thread adapter in the Norma block and screw the lens plate into that?

rdenney
26-Mar-2012, 09:19
I've recently purchased a Sinar Norma 4x5 in immaculate condition but so far have been unable to find a way of mounting it to my tripod. It's a Gitzo Systematic 3 series and I would prefer to use the Norma with my Manfrotto MN405 head which has been converted to take Arca style dovetail brackets. I also use an Arca Swiss Z1 but again this uses the Arca Swiss mount. The Norma mount thread is 3/8" and the circular diameter is almost 3" and so far I've not really found anything that looks suitable for the job.

Arca makes a plate that is 60mm wide and 80mm long, with a 3/8" bolt, that will work with the Sinar tripod clamp. I have one and have used it for that.

Here's B&H's listing for it:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/2122-REG/Arca_Swiss_802210_Universal_Camera_Plate_3_8_.html

Even so, eventually you'll want to set up a tripod just for the Sinar using a Sinar tilt head. It's the best solution for the Sinar camera.

Rick "whose 3/8" Arca plate is now on the bottom of a Speed Graphic" Denney

Drew Wiley
26-Mar-2012, 09:23
Ordinary 1/4 to 3/8 tripod adapter will do. As far as the 3" diameter goes, you can add a
hard wood or plastic washer that diameter with the an appropriate hole diameter thru the
middle. Just use an ordinary holesaw. I used haircell ABS plastic because it's a bit textured.
Don't use soft rubber. In the long run you'll get better support from a tripod which itself has a bigger top diameter. But congratulation on finding a clean Norma. Did you get a tapered bellows with it? Those are great.

channelhugger
26-Mar-2012, 09:46
Thanks for all the replies.

Missed out recently on Sinar pan and tilt head although I believe the Foba pan and tilt is better (so I've been told). The Norma came with tapered bellows and bag bellows which although obviously used are in nice condition. Looking at the Normas overall condition I'd say it has recently been cla'd. I am very tempted with a 8 x 10 rear standard but the price of film seems a bit expensive and not as readily available (plus only one of my lenses will cover 8 x 10). Lovely piece of engineering though despite not having asymmetric movements. That Arca plate (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...late_3_8_.html) would certainly do the job until a Sinar of Foba head comes up at a good price.

Thanks again for your advice.

Frank Petronio
26-Mar-2012, 09:57
The Foba heads are available in 2 or 3-axis tilts but they are very heavy, I owned one briefly and they would be wonderful for a studio stand but not so much for a #3 Gitzo, as it would be very top heavy. Beautifully designed and built though, they are on par with the Really Right Stuff quality but HEAVY DUTY.

The Sinar Pan Tilt is perfectly matched to the Norma rail clamp, even having retractable keystone pegs to keep it from rotating. I can't say enough good things about the Sinar Pan Tilt head matched with a Sinar camera. It's the best designed part of the entire system - strong, lightweight, elegant really. The only downside is using them with other cameras when you need a third axis - the small format adaptor will work in a pinch but I wouldn't want it for more than emergency use.

I wouldn't bother with the Arca plates on a Sinar - you'd get a stronger connection with your other heads by simply screwing the camera into the head, or in the case of the Z1 head... kludging it and making any old plate work.

IMHO the 3/8 bolts don't add any appreciable strength so just use an adapter where needed.

Joseph Dickerson
26-Mar-2012, 11:44
Channelhugger...you can order the RRS plates with either 1/4" or 3/8" screws.

Frank P...I just got a Sinar pan/tilt head with some other Sinar items and NOW I know what all the fuss is about! Some of us are just slower than others.:rolleyes:

JD

Daniel Unkefer
26-Mar-2012, 19:27
The Sinar Norma Pan/Tilt Head would be my first choice. You will be continuing the Norma construction, and there is really nothing not to like. It will easily support an 8x10 Norma, and handles in a very straightforward rock solid manner. If you want to keep your Norma (all Norma) then look for a FOBA C40 Tripod. That is the real deal.

Frank Petronio
26-Mar-2012, 19:36
This is the FOBA ASMIA 3-axis head, just for reference. It is 4-5x the mass of the Norma head but could probably hold any 8x10 ~ 11x14 camera -- sideways! -- with ease. It feels like a scientific instrument.