PDA

View Full Version : old calumet monorail

jason_3776
28-Dec-2003, 11:27
i used to own one of these but it has been a decade +. used it some & never had problems, but did not really use it a LOT. are these dependable light tight units ? the only thing that i wonder about is the lens board. do they ever create problems w/ light leaks ? unsure how other, more modern cameras mount the lenses, but the one i had, even then, seemed amazing to me that it never leaked thru the lens board.

thanks.

Ben Calwell
28-Dec-2003, 11:39
Jason,

If you're referring to the old 400 model (I think that was their designation), I used one for years and never had problems with the lens boards. Mine was the model with the 22-inch bellows. I didn't like the recessed lens board, which I had to use with my 90mm Nikkor. With that board, there wasn't much room around the lens to get my fingers in there to change shutter speeds and aperture settings. I had to reach in with a pencil to move the aperture lever, which was a real pain. Other than that, the camera was a tank and never failed me. And I never had light leaks from the lens board.

neil poulsen
28-Dec-2003, 11:57
I'm wondering if the fact you didn't use it a LOT had to do with its weight. The black ones weigh 19lbs. Some (all?) of the green ones weigh a few pounds less, being made of a magnesium alloy.

I just sold one. I checked it out and found no light leaks. The edges of the lensboards are designed to avoid leaks. I purchased a Deardorff reduction lensboard (6" to 4"), and it fit fine. The Deardorff would have given me the ability to make my own lensboards.

As it is, I found an old Kodak D2 and purchased it instead. It has decent movements for field work and a lot less weight. The only problem with my D2 is that it cuts off part of the top of the negative when I use rise. I don't know if this is a problem with other D2's. Will probably replace the bellows to correct this problem.

jason_3776
28-Dec-2003, 12:26
wow.. those were fast !

thanks guys. i am getting back into 4x5 seriously this time & MAN ! it is dammed overwhelming !! & i like to pics of what i may be buying, but nobody has any ! i do not know if the cameras my skinny wallet are interesred in ar ejust that old or what. would either of you know where i can "view" a 45NX ? or get tech data ? all i need is a light tight box w/ all the movements. will just be taking "pretty pictures", but like the options a full range of movements provide, especially when crawling around in some of these deep/steep/very narrow canyons out the back door. which also requires wide angles. any idea how wide a lens some old calumet could take ? i had a 90 on the old one in a recessed board, & it WAS tight. but i could really not care less if it is difficult to handle so long as it CAN be handled, be it fingers or some small tool. i have pleeenty of time... but need as wide a lens as possible. a 47 would not go unused periodically.

& neil... yeah, the weight sucked ! i used to carry it mounted on my tripod w/ tripod resting on one shoulder w/ a bag full of 35mm gear on the other shoulder & a pack on my back. fun scrambling over granite like that !

Nick_3536
28-Dec-2003, 12:46
Neil are you thinking the 8x10? The 4x5 is heavy but not that heavy.

I also have the 401 [22" of bellows] With a flat board I think 105 is the limit. Fuji seems to have a 105mm lens that covers 4x5 and every so often I think of it. The 400 should handle a shorter lens with a flat board.

Steve J Murray
28-Dec-2003, 16:09
Jason, I bought my Calumet 4x5 in 1972. I used it a lot in the 70's and early 80's. Then it went into storage until this year. Still works great. I see no reason to upgrade. No light leaks. I also have a 90mm Angulon on a recessed board. True, carrying the big box case around is tiresome. I plan to make a back pack to carry the camera and stuff for this summer for hiking and bike riding.

Gem Singer
28-Dec-2003, 17:28
Jason,

Calumet still sells the 45NX. It has been up-graded to the 45NXII over the last twenty years. You can see a picture of the camera on their website (www.calumetphoto.com). The confusion seems to be caused because you called the camera an "old Calumet monorail" and did not specify the 4X5 format. Calumet offered the old 400 series 4X5 monorails up until the early 1980's. They were made in the US. I bought mine new in 1982 for $150. It was a great camera for the LF beginner, but not exactly a suitable field camera because of it's long round monorail. The newer 45N series are made by Cambo, in the Netherlands. They are lighter weight and an quite an improvement over the old 400 series. After checking around, I see a used 45NX at www.keh.com and a 45N at www.mpex.com. By the way, is the e-mail address you are using for this website your true address, or did you make it up?

kreig
28-Dec-2003, 18:43
Gosh, Now I feel so old. I purchased my Calumet 400 series camera with 22" bellows back in 1969 and still have it today. Great camera, almost bulletproof and, yes, heavy and l-o-n-g. I found the camera to be almost mistake proof and highly versatile. I use lenses from 65mm up to 508mm and this one camera handles it all. Useing the 65mm requires cranking both standards to the front end and using a recessed lens board. Not a big deal at all. Making f/stop changes and shutter was not fast but still reasonable.

I still highly recommend this camera.

jason_3776
28-Dec-2003, 20:32
thanks again for the replies all. it has been a great help. i lugged an old monorail around before, i can certainly do it again. these old cameras will leave me plenty left over for some good lenses as well.

& eugene, yes, that is my e-ddress. while i can be as dirty as the next guy, though, the "4" refers to the 4 corners region. we live just across the river from the res.

neil poulsen
29-Dec-2003, 00:01
Good Heavens! Yes, I'm thinking of the 8x10. Sorry about that.

Gem Singer
29-Dec-2003, 10:18
Jason,

The reason I asked about your E-mail address is because when I attempted to send the information about the 45NX that you requested, my E-mail returned "unable to locate the address". I sometimes have that difficulty with E-mailing. So, it probably was my error.

jason_3776
29-Dec-2003, 12:13
hey eugene,

yeah, i just recently changed isp's & have had a lot of trouble w/ their filtering, hence the backpacker e-ddress i now use. good luck w/ it, it can be frustrating !

David Karp
30-Dec-2003, 12:51
Jason,

For specs on the 45NX and 45N, check out my review of the 45NX at http://www.largeformatphotography.info/calumet/calumet-45nx.html. Calumet now sells a 45NX-II, which is kind of a hybrid between the 45N and 45NX. I believe that it has a shorter standard monorail, and a reversing back rather than a revolving back. There may be other differences, but I don't remember the details, so a check of the Calumet website will be helpful. If you want to see photos of this camera from many angles, check out Steve Simmons' Using the View Camera. Most of the illustrations of monorail cameras are of a 45NX or an SC (its predecessor - basically the same camera). It is also the main camera used to illustrate Jim Stones' A User's Guide to the View Camera, and at least older editions of Harvey Shaman's view camera book.

In my opinion, a used 45NX or SC offers the best value in this line of cameras. The revolving back is great, and the longer monorail lets you use non-telephoto lenses up to 450mm. With a shorter monorail and a bag bellows, you can use lenses down to a 47mm Super Angulon XL. The revolving back alone is more than worth the difference in price over a 45N, and you would pay more for a new 45NX-II. There are some inconveniences that you have to put up with, but you pay a fraction of the cost of more expensive cameras, and your photos will look the same - after all, they take all the same lenses as any other view camera. Another advantage is the large quantity of used accessories available at reasonable prices for Cambo cameras. These cameras are extremely plentiful on the used market, and you can get a good sample at a very good price. Although there are design changes that have been implemented in newer Cambo and other view cameras since this design appeared on the market, you need not feel that it is an inadequate design. Photographers used these cameras professionally for years, and some that frequent this site still do. I later bought a different Cambo monorail, but have not been able to bring myself to sell my 45NX. There is plenty to like about this camera. Check out Midwest Photo, ask for Jim, and look on E-Bay they show up there all of the time. Just be careful on E-Bay. I have seen photos 45Ns listed as 45NXs, etc.

I hope this helps.

jason_3776
30-Dec-2003, 13:36
dave,

i had just read that review earlier. it really helped me out. the price is not much more than an older silver or black monorail, & the added features makes it more than worth the difference to me. & they are plentiful enough for VERY reasonable prices.

thanks tons.

David Karp
30-Dec-2003, 13:43
You are welcome.

Best of luck.

Let us know what you end up with.