PDA

View Full Version : 11x14" color negative film, is still available ???

beegee
22-Mar-2012, 15:34
Does anyone knows where to buy fresh 11x14" negative film ??? thanks for your help !!:)

Brian C. Miller
22-Mar-2012, 15:55
Kodak 11 x 14" Portra 160 Color Film (10 Sheets) (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/820039-REG/Kodak__11_x_14_Portra.html)

Sal Santamaura
22-Mar-2012, 17:32
Kodak 11 x 14" Portra 160 Color Film (10 Sheets) (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/820039-REG/Kodak__11_x_14_Portra.html)Note the minimum order of 60 10-sheet boxes. :)

unixrevolution
23-Mar-2012, 06:56
Note the minimum order of 60 10-sheet boxes. :)

I can't imagine that anybody can easily afford to order 60 10-sheet boxes of that stuff at once. That's ridiculous.

Is it better to sell it a box at a time or have it rot in inventory forever because nobody will pull the $18,000 trigger?

Just went onto B&H's live chat:

Chat Transcript
Welcome to Live Chat at the B&H Professional Photography Department. Please wait while we connect you to an agent who will be able to assist you...
You have been connected to Dean L.
Erik :
Dean L: Hello Erik. My name is Dean. How can I help you ?
Erik: Good morning, Dean! I just have one specific question. I notice you carry Kodak Portra 160 in 11x14". Is the minimum order really 60 10-sheet boxes, or is that an error?
Dean L: That is not an error
Erik: Okay, that's all I wanted to know. Thank you!

Looks like you really do need to spend $18,000 to get your hands on some.

Oren Grad
23-Mar-2012, 07:16
I can't imagine that anybody can easily afford to order 60 10-sheet boxes of that stuff at once. That's ridiculous.

Is it better to sell it a box at a time or have it rot in inventory forever because nobody will pull the $18,000 trigger?

11x14 color neg is not a stock item for Kodak or for B&H, so there's nothing rotting in inventory. The $18K is simply Kodak's current minimum for cutting a special order of sheet film in a non-stock size.

unixrevolution
23-Mar-2012, 07:39
11x14 color neg is not a stock item for Kodak or for B&H, so there's nothing rotting in inventory. The $18K is simply Kodak's current minimum for cutting a special order of sheet film in a non-stock size.

Oren, that occured to me right after I posted my comment. Makes perfect sense.

Peter Gomena
23-Mar-2012, 07:44
Yes, but at $30/sheet, think how much you'll slow down and think before you push the cable release! The exquisite terror of actually making an exposure! The suspense and anticipation waiting to see if for $20 you spent processing the sheet, all went perfectly!:p

I suppose that since there is no more Kodak transparency film at all, this is the only alternative for anyone working in ULF color. Sad.

Peter Gomena

Brian C. Miller
23-Mar-2012, 07:57
The other option for beegee is to contact Canham Cameras and get in on one of the group orders. Kieth used to keep his status web page sort of up-to-date, but he's been posting a sort-of-status on his Facebook page. (Looks like he's getting ready with a TMax order again.)

Massimo Vitali uses the stuff, so it shouldn't be too long before another order is made. (Prior thread from 2003, 11x14 color negative film (http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?8316-11x14-color-negative-film)) And there are others who use it, too.

John NYC
23-Mar-2012, 09:22
The other option for beegee is to contact Canham Cameras and get in on one of the group orders. Kieth used to keep his status web page sort of up-to-date, but he's been posting a sort-of-status on his Facebook page. (Looks like he's getting ready with a TMax order again.)

In the past year+ it looks like only one successful group buy for 11x14 format was completed (for Tri-X). Would be interesting to see if Canham attempted one for 11x14 Portra he could reach the minimum amount of commitment from the LF community. My bet would be on "no" but I'd love to be proven wrong. I'd love to get rid of my dinky 8x10 and shoot 11x14, and I would if I thought there was an actual chance of having color neg film available for the next five years minimum. (I don't have room for a freezer before people ask, and I also can't develop at home in my apartment, so I'd need labs to support this size as well.)

unixrevolution
23-Mar-2012, 09:46
Would it be kosher to, say, make a "ULF Group Order" kickstarter project or something similar?

Brian C. Miller
23-Mar-2012, 10:48
Would it be kosher to, say, make a "ULF Group Order" kickstarter project or something similar?

Basically, that's what Kieth Canham does, but without all the fuss. But I can see the levels:
"Help us pursue our hobby of using really big film!"
$5 - Thanks!
$10 - Big Thanks!
$20 - Bigger Thanks!
$50 - Really Bigger Thanks, and lame updates when somebody goes photographing. May include cell phone pictures.
$100 - JPEG from somebody, and pesky updates.
$200 - 13x19 inkjet print, a JPEG from somebody, and more pesky updates. No, the 11x14 was not used to photograph the toilet. We used the 8x10 for that.
$320 - One box of film, and we leave you alone.
$640 - Two boxes of film.
$960 - Three boxes of film.

John NYC
23-Mar-2012, 11:07
Basically, that's what Kieth Canham does, but without all the fuss. But I can see the levels:
$5 - Thanks!
$10 - Big Thanks!
$20 - Bigger Thanks!
$50 - Really Bigger Thanks, and lame updates when somebody goes photographing. May include cell phone pictures.
$200 - 13x19 inkjet print, a JPEG from somebody, and more pesky updates. No, the 11x14 was not used to photograph the toilet. We used the 8x10 for that.

I like it!

unixrevolution
23-Mar-2012, 12:31
$5 - Thanks!
$10 - Big Thanks!
$20 - Bigger Thanks!

I'm a fan :)

No, the 11x14 was not used to photograph the toilet. We used the 8x10 for that.

That made me laugh.