PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid Questions

Ty G
20-Mar-2012, 09:22
I've been doing some searching with mixed results.

Can the polaroid 550 back for pack film be used with virtually any 4x5 camera?
Are the registrations pretty much always the same?
How archival are the fuji instant films?
What is a decent priced camera to look for for this use?

Thanks

RHITMrB
20-Mar-2012, 11:16
The main thing to think of is that the Polaroid 550 back is quite thick. On Graphics, for example, you'd have to stretch the springs pretty far to squeeze a 550 in there.

You'll have to define "decent priced..."

unixrevolution
21-Mar-2012, 11:39
I've been doing some searching with mixed results.

Can the polaroid 550 back for pack film be used with virtually any 4x5 camera?
Are the registrations pretty much always the same?
How archival are the fuji instant films?
What is a decent priced camera to look for for this use?

Thanks

It can be used on any 4x5" camera that uses the standard Graflex system, so any camera that can use a standard 4x5" film holder. The Polaroid 550 and Fuji PA-45 are essentially the same pack, I have the PA-45. It's about as thick as 2 or 3 standard film holders together. I can get it under the GG of my Toyo 45F easily, and under the back of my Super Graphic with a little more hassle. It also slots into a Graflok system very well. Most of the time when I use mine, it's with the GG off, graflok'd into the Super Graphic for use as a rangefinder camera.

I have never noticed a difference in focus between a PA-45 shot and a standard 4x5" fidelity holder shot. It seems pretty much spot on.

I have no idea how archival, but I'd say "Not very" for the prints themselves, though they should scan relatively well. The main problem with them is surface contact...if something touches the surface of the print it can mar, smear or print easily. I would use scanning as a long-term archival solution.

Depends what you need to do. Are you shooting handheld or from a tripod? Do you need movements? What is your main subject matter?