PDA

View Full Version : Article in current issue of View Camera

Wayne Lambert
18-Mar-2012, 10:59
In the current issue of View Camera (January/February, 2012), Eric Biggerstaff has an excellent article discussing small photo groups and suggestions for organizing and maintaining such groups. I have been in several such groups and found them to be very helpful; I would second his suggestion to looking into organizing a group around your interests. As a real plus, the article is beautifully illustrated with a photograph by each member of his Denver-area group. I have had the pleasure of meeting the members of the group and as you can see from the photographs, they and the group seem to be working very well!

Wayne

Michael Kadillak
18-Mar-2012, 15:13
Great to hear from you Wayne. We really enjoyed your time in the Denver LF Photographer Group and hope we can all see more of your marvelous photographers in person. We have been talking about a road trip to New Mexico and hope we can make it happen.

I second the great job that Eric did in authoring the article and describing the marvelous attributes of participating in such a group.

dtheld
18-Mar-2012, 15:57
Michael,

I'm in Parker. Would there be a chance to meet some of the group in the near future?

I'm currently shooting a Zone VI (Tachihara) and an Anniv. Speed Graphic. I would love to get in touch with local, Denver Area, like-minded photographers.

Dave Held

vinny
18-Mar-2012, 17:42
I'm in grand rapids, michigan. There doesn't seem to be any LF groups (or photgraphy groups) for that matter around here. Sorry, lighthouses, pets, senior portrait fauxtographers, don't count!

Michael Kadillak
18-Mar-2012, 18:30
I'm in grand rapids, michigan. There doesn't seem to be any LF groups (or photgraphy groups) for that matter around here. Sorry, lighthouses, pets, senior portrait fauxtographers, don't count!

All you need are like minded photographers and a leader. That is what we did in Denver as we did not have a formed group as well. that way you can set the parameters for the group. Seems to me that without any groups the ground should be fertile.

Wayne Lambert
18-Mar-2012, 18:31
Thanks, Michael. Do come down. It would be good to see you all. Let me know when you might be coming, and I'll see what photography is up.

Wayne

Kimberly Anderson
18-Mar-2012, 20:25
There are several of us here in Utah who have started an 8x10 group. So far it's only on Facebook, but we're thinking of ways to exhibit this year. We don't really feel the need to go out and shoot, as we are all busy doing our own thing. All of us are already established photographers, but we thought it would be a good idea if all the 8x10 guys here at least knew each other. Several are members here on LFF.

Erik Larsen
18-Mar-2012, 20:48
There are several of us here in Utah who have started an 8x10 group. So far it's only on Facebook, but we're thinking of ways to exhibit this year. We don't really feel the need to go out and shoot, as we are all busy doing our own thing. All of us are already established photographers, but we thought it would be a good idea if all the 8x10 guys here at least knew each other. Several are members here on LFF.

Hi Michael, any of you guys in eastern Utah near my neck of the woods?
Regards
Erik

Michael Kadillak
18-Mar-2012, 21:24
Thanks, Michael. Do come down. It would be good to see you all. Let me know when you might be coming, and I'll see what photography is up.

Wayne

Will let you know when we can make the trip.

Merg Ross
18-Mar-2012, 22:05
Michael, I too enjoyed Eric's article, please let him know if he doesn't check in here. I am not a "group" person, but the occasional photo companion does add to the experience, especially noting how differently shared subject matter is interpreted.

You have mastered large format, Old #22 looks terrific!

jonreid
19-Mar-2012, 00:00
Is that his real surname?
;-)

Michael Kadillak
19-Mar-2012, 06:38
Michael, I too enjoyed Eric's article, please let him know if he doesn't check in here. I am not a "group" person, but the occasional photo companion does add to the experience, especially noting how differently shared subject matter is interpreted.

You have mastered large format, Old #22 looks terrific!

I will surely let Eric know at our next get together. There are several that do get together to make photographs and maintain a personal relationship outside of the group. I find the majority of my time in the field is venturing out by myself exploring different areas as Colorado and the surrounding areas are very broad and diverse. The organizational component of the get togethers mandates new work as each month we are expected to bring prints to show and discuss. We have celebrated our one year anniversary so while we have become familiar with each other and our tendencies, the challenge is to reach for new levels of creativity. The whole experience and the encouragement that accompanies the process has been great. Many Thanks!

Thom Bennett
19-Mar-2012, 07:40
Looking forward to reading this article. We have a group of large format photographers who have gotten together once a month for the past three months and have had a lot of fun doing it. Yesterday we had seven photographers, one significant other and two babies on the outing. It's a great way to get to know each other and help each other out with technical and aesthetic questions.

John Jarosz
19-Mar-2012, 07:51
Our Midwest group has/tries-to-have monthly outings and an annual print review. It's very enlightening to see a mixed group of photographers capture differing images from the same subjects. It helps 'seeing' immensely. It was a great article as well.

John

Monty McCutchen
19-Mar-2012, 08:26
The article was very nice as well as all of the imagery. There was a great deal of diversity in the group which was nice to see. I have been meeting with a group of large format wet plate artists going on 8 years now. Every summer we meet at someone's house and share resources etc for about a week. Although I most often wish to be alone when photographing once a year this is a great experience. I posted this link when I was promoting our show, but for those that missed that in the fall I'll re post it here as it is appropriate to the thread. For those that saw it the first time around I'll apologize in advance for the re post.

http://vimeo.com/29686176

as well as our website,

www.masterplaters.com

best,

Monty

Eric Biggerstaff
19-Mar-2012, 13:11
Thanks for the feedback everyone and I am glad you enjoyed the article. It was fun to write and it is fun to have a group who enjoys each other. Don't let not having an active group in your area stop you from forming one of your own. It only takes a few people who are interested to get one going. If you are interested in starting one, then post it here and on APUG for starters and see what happens, you never know.

Eric Biggerstaff
19-Mar-2012, 13:12
Dave,

I am in Parker, send me a note sometime and we will get together.

Eric

Eric Biggerstaff
19-Mar-2012, 13:13
Wayne,

We miss you up here but I hope to make it down to Santa Fe this summer, if so I will let you know.

Michael Kadillak
19-Mar-2012, 14:34
The article was very nice as well as all of the imagery. There was a great deal of diversity in the group which was nice to see. I have been meeting with a group of large format wet plate artists going on 8 years now. Every summer we meet at someone's house and share resources etc for about a week. Although I most often wish to be alone when photographing once a year this is a great experience. I posted this link when I was promoting our show, but for those that missed that in the fall I'll re post it here as it is appropriate to the thread. For those that saw it the first time around I'll apologize in advance for the re post.

http://vimeo.com/29686176

as well as our website,

www.masterplaters.com

best,

Monty

What a well done video. Absolutely excellent. Ditto for the images. You guys have taken wet plate to new levels. I have a whole new appreciation for what you guys do.

Kirk Gittings
19-Mar-2012, 14:44
What a well done video. Absolutely excellent. Ditto for the images. You guys have taken wet plate to new levels. I have a whole new appreciation for what you guys do.

Yes that isn't your great grandfather's wetplate!

Bill_1856
19-Mar-2012, 17:22
OH! You mean that View Camera is still being occasionally published? Who'd a'thunk it?

Monty McCutchen
19-Mar-2012, 21:32

Thank you Michael and Kirk.

Monty

sanking
20-Mar-2012, 06:51
Monty,

Thanks for providing the link to the video. If memory services, it was in 2010 that Sam Wang and I dropped by while your workshop was going on at your place in Asheville. We really enjoyed watching you guys and gals doing your magic, and your dedication and results are sure deserving of the term master platters. Wish you luck for future work shops.

Sandy

Wayne Lambert
20-Mar-2012, 07:02
Sounds good, Eric. I look forward to seeing you.

Wayne

Darren H
20-Mar-2012, 09:19
Good article indeed. I agree that having a good group of folks of similar mind can make photography fun and add a social aspect to it that is sometimes otherwise missed.

denverjims
20-Mar-2012, 10:30
Good article indeed. I agree that having a good group of folks of similar mind can make photography fun and add a social aspect to it that is sometimes otherwise missed.

I agree with the above. Some similarity is necessary - like a being open to learning; a willingness to check egos at the door; and a hefty dose of civility. But, as Eric noted and showed in the article, our group is made up of people of varied subject interests and skills in different aspects of the LF art. In some ways, I think this has helped make it much better than if we were all too much alike. Not only do we profit in our critique sessions because of our varied artistic approaches but I know I also gain in learning about others' techniques. Adds much to the mix!

sanking
20-Mar-2012, 15:44
I second the great job that Eric did in authoring the article and describing the marvelous attributes of participating in such a group.

Hi Michael,

Congratulations to Eric and to the other members of the group for the article, and for your commitment to photography. I was especially glad to see your print in the magazine as it reminded me of the great road trips we made through Wyoming and Montana some years ago. Hope to see more of your work in publication in the future.

Sandy

JoelBelmont
20-Mar-2012, 16:01
If anyone is up in between Denver and Utah (I'm in Glenwood Springs), I'd be happy to put together a group up here. I shoot on a wisner 4x5.

Regards,
~Joel

Michael Kadillak
20-Mar-2012, 16:02
Hi Michael,

Congratulations to Eric and to the other members of the group for the article, and for your commitment to photography. I was especially glad to see your print in the magazine as it reminded me of the great road trips we made through Wyoming and Montana some years ago. Hope to see more of your work in publication in the future.

Sandy

Thanks Sandy. I truly enjoyed our time in the field and hope that we can do it again. The group has been the reminder to me that I need to allocate more of my time printing.

Steve Sherman
20-Mar-2012, 19:41
The New England Large Format Photography Collective is centered in New England. We are a group of presently 24, most New England states, California, Texas, Wisconsin and Florida.

We meet quarterly and usually hold an annual Large Format weekend where we bring in some national talent and enjoy fellowship among those who embraced the upside down image.

Additionally, leading off this March 29 - April 1,2012 Large Format weekend we partner with a local Cancer Center for an exhibition of approximately 100 images where all monies raised go to surviving cancer patients day to day needs.

You may see some terrific images, many donated by frequent contributors and moderators on this very forum. http://www.nelfpc.com/rog-2012/

Michael Kadillak
21-Mar-2012, 07:31
The New England Large Format Photography Collective is centered in New England. We are a group of presently 24, most New England states, California, Texas, Wisconsin and Florida.

We meet quarterly and usually hold an annual Large Format weekend where we bring in some national talent and enjoy fellowship among those who embraced the upside down image.

Additionally, leading off this March 29 - April 1,2012 Large Format weekend we partner with a local Cancer Center for an exhibition of approximately 100 images where all monies raised go to surviving cancer patients day to day needs.

You may see some terrific images, many donated by frequent contributors and moderators on this very forum. http://www.nelfpc.com/rog-2012/

I hope to make it out to your area one of these days to sit in on one of your meetings. I checked out your groups philanthropic efforts and it put a big smile on my face. What a great idea.

During a recent business trip to Cleveland I was able to meet some of the great members of the local group there. We had a great dinner and John Powers was kind enough to organize a field trip and let me burn some sheet film in his marvelous Phillips 8x10. If anyone gets to the Denver area during the second weekend of the month please let us know. We would love to have a visitor drop by.

Darren H
23-Mar-2012, 07:44
I often photograph with a group of 6-8 folks. Only six of the group shoot large format and we don't always take the large format cameras. Some days we just go with our DSLRs (gasp). We usually meet at 6am at a Starbucks. We drive and photograph in the country west of town. We end up at a great mom and pop eating establishment for lunch. Then make our way back to town and call it a day. We get to drive, talk photography, photograph, and eat well.

Those are good days.

denverjims
24-Mar-2012, 12:26
I often photograph with a group of 6-8 folks... Some days we just go with our DSLRs (gasp).

I thought that the four-letter D**R word was banned from this polite society. What kind of joint are we running here? ;>}

Seriously, though, if you have the right companions, days out like that can be a great experience.

Rod Klukas
1-Apr-2012, 16:21

Vinny, If you email me, I will connect you with a guy I got started in Large Format who moved to Michigan. Very nice guy who loves his 4x5.
He is looking for LF people in Michigan as well.
Rod