PDA

View Full Version : 240 Symmar convertible in Compur 2 - weight?

turtle
16-Mar-2012, 14:22
Can anyone give an approximate weight for a 240 f5.6 symmar convertible in a compur 2? They look very much smaller than the later symmar s in compur/copal 3.

Its a shame they discontinued the size 2 shutter (a very long time ago!)...

Bill_1856
16-Mar-2012, 15:12
725g. (Big, and heavy)
The Compur 2 is a disaster. There's no Press-focus mechanism so it always has to be set to B or T to compose, but moving the serrated shutter speed dial is difficult because it's so near the size of the shutter that it's exceedingly difficult to grasp, the aperture adjustment is dificult to use (no nub or raised pin to move it).
Other than being the biggest PITA of any shutter that I've ever owned, it's just fine.
The lens is excellent, but even my Technika doesn't have enough bellows to use it converted.
www.schneideroptics.com for information on older lenses.

turtle
17-Mar-2012, 00:05
cheers Bill! None of those issues particularly bother me as long as it is reliable. I have used lenses that requite B/T to hold open and it does not bother me. As for grasping the aperture ring, I see this design is common to all Linhof compur shutters with the silver or black face as well as the low profile aperture slider. I can see that with cold hands it would be trying.

I guess it is somewhat smaller and lighter than a 240 sironar-N/symmar-S and I do have enough extension. We'll see.

Thanks!

henseman
4-Jul-2012, 00:48
I'm also interested in this thread/post.....I have a Schneider Symmar 240/420 in Synhro Compur shutter(not sure of #) that is currently in a Burke & James 5x7 view camera, that I would like to fit to a Cambo SCII(SC2). So I'm wondering what lensboard/with hole size I should get for mounting this lens.

Any help would be appreciated.

Also wondering where I can get a 30" rail and bellows for the Cambo (reasonable price)?

Thanks,
Brian