PDA

View Full Version : curtain material for Graflex 5X7 SLR

camerawiz
15-Mar-2012, 10:07
I started to replace the curtain in a Graflex Home Portrait camera. The curtain is over 6' long with slits in it. I made a new curtain with the material I had on hand and thought is would work however over that length the curtain stretches way too much. Does anyone know of a source for the original curtain material and in that length?
Frank
CAMERA WIZ

IanG
15-Mar-2012, 13:25
PM me with your address and I'll send a sample of a possible curtain material. I've been making my own shutter curtain material for about 5 years now - 6 ft is not an issue, I mainly use it to make new curtains for smaller roller blind shutters, but it's fine for Speed Graphic curtains. Initially I was just re-lightproofing the original curtais of Thornton Pickard shutter but the base fabrics were poor so now I always replace them hower the Graflex material is far better and I've stripped and restored two

So another option is if you have the original curtain I may well be able to refurbish it.

Ian.

camerawiz
16-Mar-2012, 05:59
The original curtain cannot be refurbished because of the age of the material. It has deteriorated way too much.
Can you supply material in the length I am interested in? 6 ft. or 2 meters.

IanG
16-Mar-2012, 06:08
I've replied via PM to Hugo but the lenght isn't a problem.

Ian

Jim C.
16-Mar-2012, 13:16
You may also want to try - http://www.playerpianocompany.com/onlinecat.html
grab the PDF of their entire catalog, what your'e looking for is the # 50 Aeolus rubberized bellows cloth
its the best match to the OEM curtain cloth and camera bellows liner ( if anyone is paying attention ;0))
I've ever found.

I've got a curtain cut for my 4x5 Graflex SLR, just trying to find time to cut the openings and install.