PDA

View Full Version : New LF Photographer with Linhof Super Technika IV - Good book for learning?

bekah1964
12-Mar-2012, 11:30
I recently purchased a Linhof Super Technika IV (with std lens (5.6/150mm), super rollex 120 back, and few other accessories).

I'm in learning mode. Any good books out there you would recommend for LF photographers? I want to understand more about what I can photograph with that lens, taking advantage of tilt, etc.

I'm super excited. I've been photographing in medium format for a long time, so this is a new, bigger adventure!

Tim k
12-Mar-2012, 12:06
Where are you located? I have one you could have for postage.

alexn
12-Mar-2012, 12:23
As for reading I would STRONGLY recommend you read Ansel Adams - The Camera.

Congratulations on starting out in LF. I'm only new myself and I must admit I have found it a little daunting at times, however getting a few good images back from the lab definitely turns daunting into exciting!

You're definitely off to a good start. A Super Technika IV is a beauty of a camera, and the 150/5.6 should do you nicely to learn about your movements.. Anything much wider than that can make movements very tricky.

Best of luck with it.

Alex.

bekah1964
13-Mar-2012, 06:41
Where are you located? I have one you could have for postage.

East coast...Delaware. That would be grand!

bekah1964
13-Mar-2012, 06:44
As for reading I would STRONGLY recommend you read Ansel Adams - The Camera.

Thanks. I'll have to check it out.

Also, thanks for the encouragement. I went out on Sunday and played around with it...using 120 film. And I was able to get the rangefinder on it working pretty well when compared to the ground glass. We'll see how the photos turn out. My dog is a pretty excellent "poser". He sits nice and still for as long as I need him to...which amazes me everytime (he's really used to a camera in his face now).

Noah A
13-Mar-2012, 07:00
You might also check out "The View Camera" by Steve Simmons for a simple overview, or "View Camera Techniques" by Leslie Stroebel for more technical and advanced information.

If you ever need any specific advice or help, I'm in Philadelphia so drop me a line...

Congrats on the Tech IV! I shoot with an MT2000 and a TK45S. I think you made a good choice for your first 4x5 camera.

E. von Hoegh
13-Mar-2012, 07:05
This book. http://www.amazon.com/Practice-Introduction-Accessories-Photographic-Technique/dp/B000MT914U

Also, any of the books above, (Ansel Adams' or Steve Simmons' books) on general use of the view camera.

The focussing cam shouild be engraved with the serial # of the lens and the body.

Tim k
13-Mar-2012, 07:18
East coast...Delaware. That would be grand! Pm me your address, and I'll drop it in the mail.

alexn
13-Mar-2012, 17:16
Thanks. I'll have to check it out.

Also, thanks for the encouragement. I went out on Sunday and played around with it...using 120 film. And I was able to get the rangefinder on it working pretty well when compared to the ground glass. We'll see how the photos turn out. My dog is a pretty excellent "poser". He sits nice and still for as long as I need him to...which amazes me everytime (he's really used to a camera in his face now).

Its great to have a subject that will sit still.. My wife & baby won't thats for sure.. Luckily for me, Rivers, waterfalls and rocky outcrops on the edge of the ocean tend not to move for decades, so getting things perfect is pretty easy for me :)

I only shoot 120 film in my 4x5. both 6x12 and 6x17.... It gives you much more testing for your $$.. Works out (processing my own slides) at less than $1.50 a shot (to purchase film and process the exposed roll.)