PDA

View Full Version : When Kodak paper goes bad...

Jehu
9-Mar-2012, 18:54
I recently stumbled on a deal from an estate sale. There were 10 boxes (mostly full) of photo paper. 5 boxes are 16x20, three are 8x10 and two are 20x24. The gal selling these didn't know how old they were or if they'd been kept cool. Since it was $50 for the whole lot, I risked it. I was wondering if I had just wasted $50 when I noticed that there was a box of Epson Ultra Premium luster 13x19 paper in the stack. That's at least $50 worth of paper for my R2880 so the deal is either okay or great.

I've been using Arista RA4 this afternoon to test a sheet out of each box. So far, It appears that there is something dreadfully wrong. It's got purple streaks on the first two boxes that I've checked. I've never encountered overly-aged color paper before but, unless I'm doing something wrong, I think the paper is past its usefulness.

Before I give up on the whole batch, can anyone verify that this is what outdated paper acts like? Is it likely to be the whole box or just the top few sheets?

Peter Gomena
10-Mar-2012, 00:02
Try a sheet from further down in the stack. It may or may not be any better. If it's RC paper, your odds of having a useable batch are not very good. Fiber-based paper may or may not be any better, but your odds are better. If you're into lith printing, a little age and fog can be a good thing.

Peter Gomena

Armin Seeholzer
10-Mar-2012, 02:24
Kodak was the worst paper regarding long life, I had 2 30x40cm 50 sheet boxes which are have kept cool, but they give a strange pattern since they have been 3-4 years old. I alway's write the date of purchase on it! So its already some years ago!

Cheers Armin

Jehu
10-Mar-2012, 09:20
Peter,
I gave it a try. The print I posted was from the middle of the stack. You should see the top one. It's much worse.

Armin,
That's actually encouraging. 2 of the boxes I haven't opened yet are Fuji Crystal.

Larry Gebhardt
10-Mar-2012, 11:02
The Kodak color papers have kept well for me if frozen. I have some Endura that is over 8 years old and it still performs well. So if they are still good get them into the freezer ASAP.

David Wolf
2-Apr-2012, 14:25
Hi Jehu,

If you still have this paper and it's of no use to you, I'd love to use it for a project I'm starting using expired color papers. Curious to know which papers they are ~

Thanks!

David