PDA

View Full Version : Toyo Folding Focusing Hood

John Cook
8-Dec-2003, 12:31
Assistants have an uncanny way of putting their knee through monorail camera ground glass in the field when removing the camera from the case. Over the years, a folding focusing hood has saved the day for me countless times.

I have been waiting to purchase the 4x5 version for our Toyo for over a year now. None to be had from B&H, Adorama nor Calumet. Have e-mailed these people as well as Toyo-View USA with no replies.

Anyone know why they have been back-ordered so long? Or could suggest a tasteful substitute?

Brian Ellis
8-Dec-2003, 12:59
If you're only trying to protect the ground glass, Canham makes a nice looking ground glass protector that will fit most any 4x5 back for about $30. Calumet also sells one but theirs is made of ugly black ABS plastic. It's also thinner than the Canham and doesn't look like it would protect as well.

Alan Davenport
8-Dec-2003, 13:03
Assistants have an uncanny way of putting their knee through monorail camera ground glass in the field when removing the camera from the case

Perhaps you should seek assistants who use their hands to take the camera from the case instead of their feet? :oD

Seriously, a good alternative to protect the groundglass is available from Calumet for not much money. It's simply a U-shaped piece of plastic that you slide into the camera back; it covers both sides of the groundglass.

Ralph Barker
9-Dec-2003, 08:56
Several months ago, John, I read a comment on one of the forums that Toyo/Sakai was either having financial issues and/or undergoing a change in ownership. If so, that might explain the long backorder times for components.

While the Toyo folding hood is nifty and convenient, a couple of pieces of masonite, hinged with nylon webbing, and with a Velcro closure, might suffice. One could even get fancy and glue foam to the masonite to fill the void between the frame and the ground glass. You might even paint the international slashed circle symbol on the back side, covering an image of an assistant's knee. ;-)

John Hollenberg
9-Dec-2003, 14:59
You might try www.keh.com or www.midwestphoto.com to see if they have one used. If it isn't listed, the large format guy at Midwest Photo (name escapes me at the moment) may still be able to find one for you. He was very helpful--I just purchased a Toyo 45AII and compendium hood from him.

--John