PDA

View Full Version : A fascinated kid

John Conway
2-Mar-2012, 19:07
I couldn't believe it. Today my son had a friend of his come over to hang out.This kid was different. Unlike many of my son's teen friends, this kid was very polite, respectful, addressed me as Mr Conway (very rare) and was very intrigued by what he was seeing around the house. He was seeing old cameras and pictures of my son on the walls that were made with an 8X10 camera. He practically got his head stuck in the big brass lens on the wet plate camera on stand. I gave him an hour lesson on the history of Large format photography and showed him how to operate the view camera. Then I let him make an image with a sheet of Polaroid. The kid was fascinated. It was a pleasure to see his reaction to the upside down image on the ground glass of my C1 Calumet. He told me that he enjoyed the experience very much.

Brian C. Miller
2-Mar-2012, 20:00
Hey, excellent! (Of course in the future he may be coating his own plates) But great! Now, I think it was Frank Petronio who was saying that such kids didn't exist.

Jay DeFehr
2-Mar-2012, 20:48
They do exist. I have three of my own. My daughter just last night asked me for a lesson on view camera movements. I'm looking forward to it. In my experience, young people are much more curious, in general, than older people are.

Michael E
3-Mar-2012, 03:33
That one is keeper. Apart from the LF stuff, it's refreshing to meet people who are curious and ready to get get excited. I know too many people who are mildly cynical, depreciating and pessimistic. Painter friends who can't name an artist they like after Hans Holbein and his peers. It is so important to be around people who are open minded and positive.

Michael

John Conway
3-Mar-2012, 12:09
That one is keeper. Apart from the LF stuff, it's refreshing to meet people who are curious and ready to get get excited. I know too many people who are mildly cynical, depreciating and pessimistic. Painter friends who can't name an artist they like after Hans Holbein and his peers. It is so important to be around people who are open minded and positive.

Michael
Michael, I am not the greatest when it comes to getting what I am thinking into words. But here, you did it for me. Perfectly.I wish there were more people like Bobby around.